Dundee FC New Stadium Thread

54 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's a great pub. 

If you support Celtic. 

I went in a couple of times a few years ago and it looked OK- just your bog standard auld man's pub. Never went in when the football was on right enough.

Can't be anywhere near that hovel in the middle of Lochee High Street surely.

Interesting.

I was speaking to a guy who is fairly well connected to the planning of this, and asked what I thought was the obvious question: "Why don't DFC and DUFC pool resources and build a cracking shared stadium?"

His response was that the question was indeed asked, but rejected out of hand by DU.

One pub? You're a  no righter.

The glover arms - shite. Okay, you have the Welcome Inn (never been) as well but you can hardly go between pubs due to the distances involved. Be as well staying in town until as late as possible before getting a taxi to the ground. Trips to Perth must be shite for away fans.

27 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Be as well staying in town until as late as possible before getting a taxi to the ground.

Is that not the case everywhere? It certainly is for me. Even the best away days(which is Edinburgh in case it was in doubt). I'm in town till around an hour and a half before kick off. 

Then after, if it's say Hibs, a quick pint in Middletons then up into town again.

Is that not the case everywhere? It certainly is for me. Even the best away days(which is Edinburgh in case it was in doubt). I'm in town till around an hour and a half before kick off. 
Then after, if it's say Hibs, a quick pint in Middletons then up into town again.

Nah I wouldn’t say so. Dundee you can easily pub crawl your way to the grounds. Edinburgh there’s numerous options dotted within walking distance around Tynie and ER. Aberdeen has loads of city centre options and some along the way walking towards Pittodrie. Inverness is a pain in the arse to get to from town but I seem to remember they put buses on in the past, might be wrong. Perth it’s either you stay in one of the pubs mentioned earlier and walk to the ground or you stay in town and get the bus/taxi to the ground. It’s just a bit pish. Nothing better for an away fan than rolling in off the train and immediately diving into a pub.l without having to worry about how you are getting to the ground.

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

1. the stadium design looks decent. Steep looking stands and the corners look like they hold seats as well which is a nice touch. Adds a bit of character. I think the stadium needs this or it runs the risk of simply looking like a better version of McDiarmid Park.

Agree to disagree on that one. To me it looks like every flat-pack stadium that's been built in the last 15 or so years, which in my opinion is honking. I know it's difficult to build 'character' into a new stadium from day 1, but there's certainly ways of adding a bit of character beyond seats in the corner. Have you seen visuals/plans beyond this one elsewhere (too lazy to search myself).

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

2. The 15k capacity is bold. I like the ambition. However, Dundee will need to think of different ways to attract fans to the ground if they don’t want a half empty stadium every second Saturday. I don’t think the draw of Scottish football is enough, especially if the team is having an average season. Lessons can be learned from abroad like in the MLS where match days have an almost festival like atmosphere.

Agree fully on this point. American sports, love them or hate them, certainly know how to make a day of it with the match itself only a part of the experience. Is there really any need for the F1 track-cum-cark park surrounding the stadium? I can't help but feel that land could have been better utilised in ways that would attract fans and keep them there, especially since it isn't going to be as easily accessible as Dens currently is. 

To be honest, the obsession with having to have loads of pubs near a football ground and not having loads being a massive negative is a pretty outdated view. If it were a must, then the likes of the 208 would still be open or someone would have opened another one up to cash in. The % of folk that go to a pub before a game must be pretty small and decreasing each season. 

On Dundees new ground, I'm sceptical it will ever get built under the current owners. Good idea and looks pretty decent and not in a horrific location, but like many others before and at Aberdeen, it's easy to talk about a new stadium and what you'd like, it takes someone with proper vision and cash to get it done and I'm not sure the Americans have that for Dundee. Also not sure the economics will stack up either. Even if the club buys (if it hasn't already) Dens back, it isn't going to give enough cash to even fund in part the stadium. Owners are either going to have to fund a large chunk themselves or find investors to do it. 

Directions - Fall out of the train station, turn left and walk 2 minutes to Whitehall street and hop on a 28. Get off just after you pass Thompson Park (home to Dundee's 2nd biggest club after us) on liff road. Cross over the road on your right and through the subway and you're at Nou Campy.

Would like to add though, that stadium looks nothing like the original renderings at all. Neither does a lot of the image. If it happens I'm more excited for what it can do for the city than just the club to be honest.

Edit - To clarify I mean events, investment, entertainment and the idea of SRU involvement from years ago.

Edited by Crawford

11 minutes ago, stu92 said:

Agree to disagree on that one. To me it looks like every flat-pack stadium that's been built in the last 15 or so years, which in my opinion is honking. I know it's difficult to build 'character' into a new stadium from day 1, but there's certainly ways of adding a bit of character beyond seats in the corner. Have you seen visuals/plans beyond this one elsewhere (too lazy to search myself).

I've actually changed my mind and I agree with you. I think I've been wow'd, duped if you will, by the lovely stadium graphic they have produced. If we are being honest, it's another legoland stadium.

I did post numerous examples a couple of months back in the Dundee thread of stadiums from across Europe around the 15k capacity mark which are oozing character.  I can't be arsed looking them out just now (maybe later) but they were basically stadiums that had interesting designs to them i.e different sized stands, two tiered stands, some corners filled in, standing areas etc. I would like to see Dundee or Aberdeen pursue options like this instead of going for a generic 4 stand or single tiered bowl design.

Maybe not much use for visiting fans but the Dee Club (Social Club) is 2 minutes away from Sandy's Bar. In addition the Logie Club is only a further 100 yards away and I can see both being busy on match days as Nou Campy is a 15 minute stroll away. The Kettledrum on South Road is another within 15 minutes walk from Campy

26 minutes ago, Girth said:

Different question, best away day pub you've ever been to?

Honestly think Trades is my favourite away pub. Great selection of lagers, good food, live TV and a beautiful interior. How a proper boozer should be. A great way to start the day.

I also like the Roseburn Bar near Tynecastle.