• 1st round group stage - 3rd position: £25,000 
  • 1st round group stage - 5 worst runners up: £29,000 
  • 2nd round losers - £50,000 
  • Quarter-final losers - £80,000
  • Semi-final losers - £110,000
  • Runners-up - £160,000 
  • Winners - £350,000 
  • Total - £2,157,000

In addition, each club playing in a live televised Premier Sports Cup tie (whether home or away) will receive a facility fee payment of:

£17,000 (first round group stage); and

£27,000 (second round, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final).

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-announces-record-premier-sports-cup-prize-p

On 28/06/2022 at 11:33, The Master said:

The SPFL have announced the prize money for the League Cup this coming season:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-announces-record-premier-sports-cup-prize-p

Seems somewhat unfair that the non-qualifying runners-up get £29k but the three who scrape through get a minimum of £21k extra. Andy why does it cost a club £10k less to host a TV match in the group stage rather than the knockout rounds?

20 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

why does it cost a club £10k less to host a TV match in the group stage rather than the knockout rounds?

I don't think its so much cost, but more loss in revenue at later rounds with bigger clubs and higher ticket prices involved. 

20 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Seems somewhat unfair that the non-qualifying runners-up get £29k but the three who scrape through get a minimum of £21k extra.

This is more or less how prize money every competition works - if you make it to the next round then you get more money.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This is more or less how prize money every competition works - if you make it to the next round then you get more money.

I know but I think the amount of the difference between ‘lucky loser’ runners-up and the three who qualify is too much.

Generational barrier maybe but...

"Concentrating on the League" is a priority that puzzles me in England. I see no point in that at all in Scotland.

Any radge greetin' about his team having to stoop so low as to compete in this bugs me.

Any radge giving off about a "wee cup" or a "Mickey Mouse Cup" and saying he's not bothered bugs me.

Obvious thing to say but, outwith the Bigot Brothers, top flight Scottish clubs have 2 shots at a trophy per season. This is one of them.

I was reminded that a friend of my father passed away 15 years ago this week. Fair innings. Made his late 70s. Not bad for a guy born late 1920s in Pilrig. Timed it well. Just missed WW2. Got his national service done before Korea. 

In 70 years as a Hibby he saw them win 2 cups. 3 League wins. But beating Celtic early 70s & Pars early 90s in League Cup finals were the only cups he saw them win. He couldn't mind Hibs getting the Championship Trophy on the pitch for any of their titles. I found that strange. Thought he was in a Yorkshire barracks for one. 

There are unlikely to have been many events in any season in which a club came 2nd in the League that will remain in the memory as long as a cup final win. Do any fans of Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, Hibs or Killie recall any of the games in which they sealed 2nd place in the League?

Aye, Hearts fans in '65 & '86 and Aberdeen fans in '91 recall the games where they "clinched 2nd" only too well, but apart from that?

If any fans outwith Glesga witness their club lift this trophy next February (or whenever the final's been shifted to 🤬 in order to accommodate You Know What👿🤑) they will remember the day for the rest of their lives. Bottles of Buckfast allowing.

It's important.

I hope players are made aware of this.

Edited by Syme
Typo

I don't think that any team concentrates on the league, but quite a few are not prepared to make a decent fist of the group stage because it starts so early this season.

The removal of one of the best second place spots due to the Conference League also undermines the current format by making it more unrealistic for lower league teams to progress, and so they're very quickly not playing for much. 

I'm doubtful about the two revisions to the format.

Getting rid of the two zones looks like pandering to a largely disinterested mob. "Release Barabbas!" Or "Welease Woderick!"

There is no demand for retro "Football Special" train services to cater for the small away contingents at League Cup group games. Relatively few supporters go. Longer journeys must decrease attendances.

Disproportionate numbers of Partick fans may eat avocados & lentils to excess. Many will have the complete DVD set of "Game of Thrones." Pre-fixtures, there would have been Jags wetting themselves at the prospect of a visit to The Broch. With a packed lunch in a Scotmid carrier bag.

I'd wager there were more Fermers going, "Oh shite!" and making other plans for matchdays after drawing 3 teams from the southwest than there were Jags excitedly studying the Trainline website and Aberdeenshire bus timetables.

Groundhopping isn't like collecting Panini stickers. "Aw, baws! Ronnie feckin' Glavin again! I've eight doubles of that wee nyaff!" So had everyone else. But nobody in the whole school had Hugh Sproat. There are only 42 grounds. 

Why would a fan of an Angus club whine about drawing Stirling & Cove three times in four years? They play every team in their division four times each season. I doubt many of the whingers would trek to a group game at Stranraer. 

Let's hypothetically say I was a fan of a club guaranteed to be in the north zone. Let's say Dundee. Let's make the hypothesis more implausible by saying I'd neither utilised a length of rope or car exhaust, nor borrowed a shotgun from a friend in decades following the Dark Blues. 

I like a day out in a pleasant town. I'd be as likely to go to Queen of the South or Berwick Rangers as to nip up to Arbroath. Particularly on a Saturday in July.

For less attractive localities, it's different. I'd imagine I'd go to two away games in Angus or Fife, even if they were midweek. I doubt I'd trek to Ayrshire twice, even on Saturdays. Annan away on Tuesday night? No chance.

The introduction of five pots for seeding purposes also looks a backward step. It reduces the chances of a "Group of Death", where a Premiership or Championship club in turmoil draws Falkirk, Dunfermline & Kelty. 

Having five seeded bands increases the advantages clubs from higher divisions already enjoy. I can see the sense in setting-up the competition to facilitate the big clubs making the latter stages. It increases attendances and revenue. It's not helping "the romance of the cup" angle though.

Anyhow, the season's here🙂. Good luck and a safe journey to everyone travelling to a game.

Edited by Syme
Typo

Premiership was generally reckoned sub-standard last season.

6 of the 7 Premiership clubs screwing up within 5 days of the League Cup starting is still a mite surprising.

Checking reactions on bookie sites.

BetVictor's compiler's clearly keen on reverting to a straight knockout. He's a man of principle. He's hoyed oot Killie & the Fermers😂. Nowhere to be seen the list.

Spoonburners now 20-1 with Bet365. They've the Fermers at 40-1 & St.Mirren at 50-1. Killie, Ross & Livi all 50-1 with Billy Hill. Sheep still 16-1 at Bet365.

Performances so shite prices on the Gruesome Twosome have been shaved already🙄.

Depressing.

On 18/07/2022 at 21:01, The Master said:

Airdrie v St Mirren has disappeared from Premier Sports' schedule tomorrow, replaced with a re-run of Celtic v Blackburn...

Viewing figures must have been atrocious for the earlier games. Not even worth the cost of broadcasting.

51 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Viewing figures must have been atrocious for the earlier games. Not even worth the cost of broadcasting.

They would have known the potential viewing figures for that match before it was announced. They cried off and cited the reason as "staffing issues".

Rory Hamilton and Michael Stewart on the late flight out of Edinburgh to Warsaw to cover a pre-season kick-about, those were the "staffing issues"

8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

They would have known the potential viewing figures for that match before it was announced. They cried off and cited the reason as "staffing issues".

Rory Hamilton and Michael Stewart on the late flight out of Edinburgh to Warsaw to cover a pre-season kick-about, those were the "staffing issues"

Sadly, lots more people would watch a pre-season game involving Celtic than Airdrie vs St Mirren.