Championship PFA POTY Contenders

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Mayo over O’Brien is an anomaly which I’m sure wouldn’t have occurred if it was possible for players to vote for TOB as a defender.

That said, Mayo should 100% have been next in line if the other best alternative was Danny Devine.

Why? Literally the explanations Thistle fans have for Mayo, you could then give for Devine, except Devine wins due to playing for a better team with a better defensive record. 

Devine has been (surprisingly) decent every time I've seen him. We've not had much change out of the Caley defence all season and I think they are the best equipped Championship club to win the playoffs.

If we're selecting players on the basis of half a season like Lafferty (which is totally justified), I think there's an argument that Nouble deserves to be there.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Why? Literally the explanations Thistle fans have for Mayo, you could then give for Devine, except Devine wins due to playing for a better team with a better defensive record. 

Devine could win the fucking Ballon D’or and he’ll still be absolutely pish as far as I’m concerned. Nothing will ever change my mind on this. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

See reply above. I watched Danny Devine play two seasons for us and he was possibly the worst player in a team of losers and shitebags. Has he improved since then? Maybe, but I refuse to believe he'd be doing better for us than Mayo has done this season.

Not going to deny that Caley are a better team than us, but that's not particularly relevant in something which is specifically judging players as individuals.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

See reply above. I watched Danny Devine play two seasons for us and he was possibly the worst player in a team of losers and shitebags. Has he improved since then? Maybe, but I refuse to believe he'd be doing better for us than Mayo has done this season.

Not going to deny that Caley are a better team than us, but that's not particularly relevant in something which is specifically judging players as individuals.

On the first point it doesn't particularly matter how good, or bad Devine was for you before, it's based purely on this season, which by the accounts of ICT fans Devine has been very solid. 

If you want to go of historical accounts then Mayo was also pretty pish for Dunfermline last season at cb, that shouldn't mean he is incapable of getting in this years team. 

Of course it should be O'brien and neither Devine, or Mayo should be in it right enough. 

On that second point, how good Thistle have been (playoff side) was literally used as justification by one of your fans. Its inevitable that a teams performance will weigh heavily in this, Kilmarnock and Arbroath have been the two best sides this season, unsurprisingly there players will have had the best seasons. 

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Devine could win the fucking Ballon D’or and he’ll still be absolutely pish as far as I’m concerned. Nothing will ever change my mind on this. 

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Sorry, I can't agree with all of this. DD was with us two seasons and indeed the second season he was a disaster (as were so many who had been decent or great for for us previously such as Osman and Cerny). However DD was virtually ever present in our top 6 season, objectively speaking our best season in decades, forming a great partnership with Lindsay. Much of the success that year was built on a solid defence. It's simply wrong to suggest he was a total disaster for Thistle.

13 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We have people arguing about whether Lewis Mayo or Danny fucking Devine should have made TOTY and some folk have the *audacity* to claim this isn't the worst league in eons.

In addition to the above, DD's also had other successful seasons at Premier level and a Scottish cup medal, so I also think it's a little harsh to suggest this league's rubbish because Devine is considered one of its better players. He's spent much of his career at a higher level for a reason. Similarly, Mayo is first choice Scotland U21 centre back for a reason and has been absolutely solid for us all season.

22 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Sorry, I can't agree with all of this. DD was with us two seasons and indeed the second season he was a disaster (as were so many who had been decent or great for for us previously such as Osman and Cerny). However DD was virtually ever present in our top 6 season, objectively speaking our best season in decades, forming a great partnership with Lindsay. Much of the success that year was built on a solid defence. It's simply wrong to suggest he was a total disaster for Thistle.

In addition to the above, DD's also had other successful seasons at Premier level and a Scottish cup medal, so I also think it's a little harsh to suggest this league's rubbish because Devine is considered one of its better players. He's spent much of his career at a higher level for a reason. Similarly, Mayo is first choice Scotland U21 centre back for a reason and has been absolutely solid for us all season.

He was absolutely carried by Liam Lindsay, who was the best centre half in the country that year. Tomas Cerny was still good in our relegation season.

Danny Devine is fucking shite. The fact that he’s also been fucking shite at a higher level is irrelevant. 

29 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Am I going nuts or is this not true? It was Keown that formed the partnership with Liam Lindsay, rather than DD. Could be howling put my arse though. 

E.T.A. Cerny was fine in our relegation season.

Edited by velo army

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

Am I going nuts or is this not true? It was Keown that formed the partnership with Liam Lindsay, rather than DD. Could be howling put my arse though. 

E.T.A. Cerny was fine in our relegation season.

According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Devine_(footballer,_born_1992), he played 30 league games that season (more than he played in the relegation season). Keown definitely also played in the second half of that season (I think he was a January loan)- another whose performances fell off a cliff the next season

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He was absolutely carried by Liam Lindsay, who was the best centre half in the country that year. Tomas Cerny was still good in our relegation season.

Danny Devine is fucking shite. The fact that he’s also been fucking shite at a higher level is irrelevant. 

Liam Lindsay was undoubtedly the league's best centre half that year. However, only one centre half gets you only so far. Devine was good for us that season.

Cerny was alright, but not as good as he had been previously- and it was a very poor bit of goalkeeping that gave Livingston their crucial quick equaliser in the playoff.

18 hours ago, Monkfish85 said:

On twitter some Arbroath players claiming O’Brien came under midfield category and not defence so couldn’t be selected 

What a major f**k up that is. TOB and Ricky Little have been amazing as a defensive pair.