Championship PFA POTY Contenders

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not understanding Lewis Mayo being in there, odd selection. 

Not really. Been one of the best players for a team set to finish in a play-off position and part of a defence that kept 9 clean sheets on the bounce.

Edited by Reid

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Ah okay. Yet more evidence that football players are completely thick.

So it’s only goals scored that gets a striker into team of the season? Good to know. 

So it’s only goals scored that gets a striker into team of the season? Good to know. 

Even if you discount goals scored I think you’d struggle to find a better striker than Adeloye this season. Lafferty and Graham aside obviously.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Even if you discount goals scored I think you’d struggle to find a better striker than Adeloye this season. Lafferty and Graham aside obviously.

Not according to his peers, it would appear. 

18 minutes ago, Reid said:

Not really. Been one of the best players for a team set to finish in a play-off position and part of a defence that kept 9 clean sheets on the bounce.

There were three teams with a better defensive record who also finished higher, with one of them having a Poty nominee who has somehow missed out. 

It's just very bizarre, Danny Devine has been pretty pivotal for Inverness, he would've made more sense than Mayo. 

58 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Not really sure how O'Brien is nominated for player of the year but isn't in the team of the season but there we go.

If anything sums up the state of the championship this season, its that team. 

Incompetent SFA yet again having players under different positions. Thomas O’brien appears to be the pick for Arbroath but going by form it would be hard to argue McKenna was the stand out until January . Arbroath fans may beg to differ as they will see their players every week 

2 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Incompetent SFA yet again having players under different positions. Thomas O’brien appears to be the pick for Arbroath but going by form it would be hard to argue McKenna was the stand out until January . Arbroath fans may beg to differ as they will see their players every week 

It’s got nothing to do with the SFA. The players will have been asked to vote for the best player(s) they’ve played against this season, guessing here but I imagine they pick a player in each position, and the defenders/midfielders/strikers with the most votes get in the team. They won’t be looking to split them out for RB, CB and LB etc.

Im sure you could make the argument that they should do that but it’s not a very important vote is it.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

It’s got nothing to do with the SFA. The players will have been asked to vote for the best player(s) they’ve played against this season, guessing here but I imagine they pick a player in each position, and the defenders/midfielders/strikers with the most votes get in the team. They won’t be looking to split them out for RB, CB and LB etc.

Im sure you could make the argument that they should do that but it’s not a very important vote is it.

On twitter some Arbroath players claiming O’Brien came under midfield category and not defence so couldn’t be selected 

42 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not understanding Lewis Mayo being in there, odd selection. 

Not really. Lewis Mayo has probably been Thistle’s most consistent player this season, perhaps bar Kevin Holt. Definitely some odd selections/omissions, not sure that’s one of them. 

2 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

On twitter some Arbroath players claiming O’Brien came under midfield category and not defence so couldn’t be selected 

Well, that is piss poor, if true.

Edited by PB1994

Mayo over O’Brien is an anomaly which I’m sure wouldn’t have occurred if it was possible for players to vote for TOB as a defender.

That said, Mayo should 100% have been next in line if the other best alternative was Danny Devine.

Edited by Nightmare

6 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Not sure off the top of my head but I’d imagine he will have been in teams of the year before

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/PFA_Scotland_Team_of_the_Year

Found this, which if accurate suggests he made the League One TOTY as a defender in both 17/18 and 18/19. So no idea what’s happened this year, or if that’s just an excuse for O’Brien (for some reason) not being voted in by other players.