Stenhousemuir -vs- Stranraer

Two games left, two more chances to gatecrash the top four and win promotion.

On Saturday, Stenhousemuir host Stranraer, a side we've failed to beat since January 2017. I've no idea why but they well and truly have our number, humiliating us twice this season already. We performed reasonably well in our last encounter, a 1-1 draw at Stair Park, but I think we were second best over the piece. I suppose, going into this game, we have it all to play for while the Blues are on their holidays, so they might not be quite as competitive as they have been previously but nevertheless: I am expecting a hard match.

Stenhousemuir were excellent against Albion Rovers at the weekend and probably could have won by six or seven goals. They defended well, controlled the middle of the park and created a number of presentable chances. I wouldn't make any changes to the side that started that match:

- Robert Thomson -

- Euan O'Reilly - Adam Brown - Darren Christie -

- Mikey Miller - Nat Wedderburn -

- Callum Yeats - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Adam Corbett -

- Peter Urminsky -

A win's the only thing that will do at this stage. We have to rely on Edinburgh City slipping up on Friday night against Annan Athletic but I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see a positive outcome for the Warriors this weekend.

Absolutely no need to change the team after the last two games. Orr a fine weapon from the bench but Brown has two assists and a goal in these two games and his set piece delivery could be crucial again.

We can't do much about tomorrow night but let's just get our job done and take it to the last day.

I’d be a bit wary of using Rovers as a yardstick for how well you’re doing. They made us look like Liverpool a fortnight ago, but it was back to earth with a bump for us last week!

See you guys on Saturday for our last away trip of a pretty meh season for us.

16 hours ago, Neilly said:

Absolutely no need to change the team after the last two games. Orr a fine weapon from the bench but Brown has two assists and a goal in these two games and his set piece delivery could be crucial again.

We can't do much about tomorrow night but let's just get our job done and take it to the last day.

Can't argue with that, to be honest. Not often we have a selection headache!

Whilst I get the premise I don't see a problem starting Orr if fully fit. Thommo, whilst it was great to see him score last week is still a bit off it in my opinion. He missed an absolute sitter too which coupled with the annan @ home sitters is a worry. Orr doesn't miss them.

That said am fine with Thommo starting but def don't think it's one of those you absolutely do not change.

The task remains the same. Edinburgh now heavy faves for 4th but if we can win today it keeps pressure on. A draw would still keep it a last dayer, though would require Stirling to beat Edin which would be very unlikely but they could draw there so still a big game today.

2-1 - O'Reilly, Crighton, late brown FK

On 21/04/2022 at 14:48, Neilly said:

Disappointed Chris Farley GIF

An absolute mile off it today and Stranraer battered us for the third time this season. They really always look a cracking side no idea how they aren't in amongst the play offs. A good footballing side who are bullish at the back.

5th in the end is about right for us. Faltered at crucial times in the season and threw away too many games but a decent core to build from next season if we keep the guys we would like too. Certainly next season will be abject failure to not get minimum play offs.

Good luck to Edinburgh and the rest of the lads in the play offs. 

That will be that then. Stranraer have been our boogie team this year. The first quarter of the season probably did our chances no good.

We have the makings of a good squad if we can keep a good percentage of the squad.

What did our keeper do to get two bookings so late on.

Highlight of the match for me today was your no. 11 (?) swearing at the young lads in the corner of the stand for being too slow to get the ball back onto the park for a throw-in.  Class!
Aw that sounds class. Wish a had seen that. Total Class.

We were awful & Stranraer were very good. Didn't see a performance like that coming, not sure if last nights result was lingering but it was shockingly bad. Zero pass marks.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

An absolute mile off it today and Stranraer battered us for the third time this season. They really always look a cracking side no idea how they aren't in amongst the play offs. A good footballing side who are bullish at the back.

5th in the end is about right for us. Faltered at crucial times in the season and threw away too many games but a decent core to build from next season if we keep the guys we would like too. Certainly next season will be abject failure to not get minimum play offs.

Good luck to Edinburgh and the rest of the lads in the play offs. 

Fair play to you Neilly 👏

It almost feels like City have staggered into 4th place considering some of our displays but as you said you've thrown away too many games- the failure to beat us at Ochilview when we had a man sent off early comes to mind. Unlike you we couldn't beat Albion Rovers in 3 league games and got a late penalty in the 4th game but we stole points from Forfar and Stranraer. Funny old game football.

I'd imagine you'd be there or thereabouts next season. Swift has a League season under his belt and whoever wins the play-offs between Cowden, Bonnyrigg and Fraserburgh aren't going to be moneybags like Cove, QP and Kelty have been in recent seasons and of the teams coming down East Fife and possibly Dumbarton aren't either. 

23 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Fair play to you Neilly 👏

It almost feels like City have staggered into 4th place considering some of our displays but as you said you've thrown away too many games- the failure to beat us at Ochilview when we had a man sent off early comes to mind. Unlike you we couldn't beat Albion Rovers in 3 league games and got a late penalty in the 4th game but we stole points from Forfar and Stranraer. Funny old game football.

I'd imagine you'd be there or thereabouts next season. Swift has a League season under his belt and whoever wins the play-offs between Cowden, Bonnyrigg and Fraserburgh aren't going to be moneybags like Cove, QP and Kelty have been in recent seasons and of the teams coming down East Fife and possibly Dumbarton aren't either. 

Agree that next season is going to be more fun without having a team that are favourites for a runaway win because of a budget miles beyond that of other teams in the league.

If Bonnyrigg get past Cowdenbeath; assuming they'll go on to beat the Broch, I can see them being up near the top of the league. East Fife could end up being nearer the bottom than the top. Going to be a very competitive league, something to look forward too. 

As for today, thought Stranraer got the win they deserved and their midfielders ran the show for most of the game, frustrating Stenhousemuir. They broke up most of our play. At one point I saw 4 Stranraer players hunt down Adam Brown.  Was delighted seeing Swift making the sub in the first half, bringing on Orr. I personally thought Thomson would've been hooked, thought he was well off it today. Just ambled around and gave little to nothing.  In hindsight, was also maybe a game for Anderson to start. 

No idea how Nicky Jamieson doesn't score one of those headers.

In all, was a good game to watch, plenty of drama, tough tackles and Norweigans with cow bells. Stranraer fans near me were in good spirits too. 

One moan though. Thought the ref and assistants were awful.  Crighton should've went, lead with his fist into the back of their strikers head as he went up for a header and their number 6 should've went for lunging in from behind with his studs clearly facing up. 

No idea why Urminsky was sent off, the barge on the striker for the second yellow was absolutely nothing.  

Was great seeing Ochilview so full, barely a free seat. Mon the Warriors.