Hibs' Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Hibernian's next permanent manager?   

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Zing. said:

Michael Appleton straight in as the bookies favourite after leaving Lincoln.

Last time he was in the frame for the job, he wasn't happy about the payoff when he inevitably gets fired, so we got Hecky instead. Is there any reason to think something's changed?

Still, if he gets the job, we'll definitely have some fun with 'Conan the Hibernian' jokes.

DM7B1cXXkAA7i7i.jpg

Appleton would be a really good choice for Hibs.

He's good at building a team and I think Hibs are likely to be looking at someone with a good plan and giving it s bit of time this time around. He'll have a pre-season and the chance to bring players in.

Like Aberdeen, Hibs don't really need too much to be easily top 6 next season, and Appleton is the kind of coach who is good with a bit of time and a chance to build his squad.

Hope he tells them to GTF.

I've just done some in-depth research (texting a Lincoln-supporting mate) to see what he reckons of Appleton to Hibs.

Response was that there's been a rumour going round that Appleton is wanted in the England youth set-up, possibly to be u-19s coach. However, his wife and weans live in the Manchester area and he had testicular cancer not long ago, so likely he'll want to be based near there. Blackburn?

Appleton seems to have generally split the Lincoln support. From the outside he's done a more than decent job. But some fans complain about sticking rigidly to playing from the back etc when it clearly wasn't working. His argument was that he was building the team. Some fans disappointed he won' be around for a rebuild again this summer, others think time for a new man. Generally well thought of.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I've just done some in-depth research (texting a Lincoln-supporting mate) to see what he reckons of Appleton to Hibs.

Response was that there's been a rumour going round that Appleton is wanted in the England youth set-up, possibly to be u-19s coach. However, his wife and weans live in the Manchester area and he had testicular cancer not long ago, so likely he'll want to be based near there. Blackburn?

Appleton seems to have generally split the Lincoln support. From the outside he's done a more than decent job. But some fans complain about sticking rigidly to playing from the back etc when it clearly wasn't working. His argument was that he was building the team. Some fans disappointed he won' be around for a rebuild again this summer, others think time for a new man. Generally well thought of.

B074F8C5-82F6-4316-A13E-63187F828425.png.61eaf535e94db93f7142a82136cdd6c4.png
His record at Oxford looks half decent and seems to have done well at Lincoln despite a poor season just gone. Doubt he’ll get it, the Gordon’s and Kensell will go for a big name I reckon.

Edited by Zing.

7 minutes ago, Zing. said:

B074F8C5-82F6-4316-A13E-63187F828425.png.61eaf535e94db93f7142a82136cdd6c4.png
His record at Oxford looks half decent and seems to have done well at Lincoln despite a poor season just gone. Doubt he’ll get it, the Gordon’s and Kensell will go for a big name I reckon.

I'd say his record overall is pretty good in an EFL context. Most coaches get sacked every five minute or so, so to have two solidly good jobs (Oxford and Lincoln) under his belt by now is very promising.

Lincoln had a poor season this season compared to last, but last was a very impressive performance and you don't expect Lincoln to repeat that immediately. Apparently he wasn't happy with the budget on offer to rebuild his squad this season. Lincoln are a small club and roughly mid-table in League One is probably around their natural position, so this season isn't a huge catastrophe.

I'd say on balance he's unlikely to get or take the job, but would be a good choice imo.

16 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'd say on balance he's unlikely to get or take the job, but would be a good choice imo.

Agree with your posts above, and - in summary - this sentence.

Sadly, however, our owner and CEO will probably go for either a safe pair of hands, or some random crazy to take us back down the rabbit hole.

I really like the idea of Appleton. Seems to be a good coach and there's absolutely no chance that he'll be slagged off for being diminutive. 

Always wonder what would have happened if we'd gone for him instead of Heckingbottom. Both good coaches but clearly Hecky didn't work in the end, can't help but feel that even if Paul goes on to better things in his career that Appleton might just have been a better fit. Hopefully we get to find out, the stand-out candidate for me.  

As to what Appleton might be thinking to these links?

NINTCHDBPICT0003620484611.jpg

With both the Blackburn and QPR jobs up for grabs right now - and possibly many more EFL jobs - it may be a tough sell. What may put him off is that coaches which have failed with us generally haven't had an easy career afterwards - with Heckingbottom the exception but arguably breaking that mould by being a pretty big Sheffield United fan and going back to basics by coaching the youth team before getting his big shot.  

Edited by Chefki Kuqi

19 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

With both the Blackburn and QPR jobs up for grabs right now - and possibly many more EFL jobs - it may be a tough sell. What may put him off is that coaches which have failed with us generally haven't had an easy career afterwards - with Heckingbottom the exception but arguably breaking that mould by being a pretty big Sheffield United fan and going back to basics by coaching the youth team before getting his big shot.  

I suppose part of the problem as well is what would success look like and how would it advance his career down south?

Would getting Hibs into Europe get him a bigger job in England than he can get now? I don't see how. But getting QPR or Blackburn into the play-offs etc would raise his stock for sure.

I don't think he's out of the question, but I think he'll have other jobs he'll look at first. I'd definitely take him at Hearts if Robbie was moving on.

I'd say his record overall is pretty good in an EFL context. Most coaches get sacked every five minute or so, so to have two solidly good jobs (Oxford and Lincoln) under his belt by now is very promising.
Lincoln had a poor season this season compared to last, but last was a very impressive performance and you don't expect Lincoln to repeat that immediately. Apparently he wasn't happy with the budget on offer to rebuild his squad this season. Lincoln are a small club and roughly mid-table in League One is probably around their natural position, so this season isn't a huge catastrophe.

League one is weird crowds vary from 35,000 for Sunderland vs Sheffield Wednesday to 1,900 for the likes of Accrington Stanley vs Fleetwood. Can you imagine playing in a league that unbalanced? Sucks to be those guys huh!

On thé crude metric of attendances Lincoln are the 11th biggest club in the division so their “natural” position is probably the bottom of the top half of league one.

Ending up in the middle of the bottom half wouldn’t be a good season but it’s not scandalous either

they’ve probably had a slightly worse season than Hibs but a slightly better one than Aberdeen

20 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

a slightly worse season than Hibs but a slightly better one than Aberdeen

We havent finished making this season a complete shitshow yet m9

Tools will be downed now and Aberdeen will beat us next week, we are headed for 10th spot - put money on it.

6 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I suppose part of the problem as well is what would success look like and how would it advance his career down south?

Would getting Hibs into Europe get him a bigger job in England than he can get now? I don't see how. But getting QPR or Blackburn into the play-offs etc would raise his stock for sure.

I don't think he's out of the question, but I think he'll have other jobs he'll look at first. I'd definitely take him at Hearts if Robbie was moving on.

Only thing I would say is that I've given him these jobs - he likely won't get either. Off the back of his relative success at Lincoln and Oxford he may get a slightly better League 1/lower half Championship job, but I don't see any Premier League chasing club risking it on a manager finishing 17th with Lincoln, no matter that that's relatively decent. 

So quite why I propped him up for such this morning, well I feel fairly silly.

You're right in everything that you say in the sense that English jobs, so long as reasonably successful, probably count for more towards most British manager's ultimate ambition which is managing in the EPL/other top leagues than does success in Scotland. 

All that said there's the opinion that Appleton probably needs time and patience to do well, and even then he's left Lincoln in 17th. Whether he'd get that at Hibs, well I'm not sure he'd feel that way looking from the outside in.

In conclusion:

Larry David Reaction GIF

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

League one is weird crowds vary from 35,000 for Sunderland vs Sheffield Wednesday to 1,900 for the likes of Accrington Stanley vs Fleetwood. Can you imagine playing in a league that unbalanced? Sucks to be those guys huh!

On thé crude metric of attendances Lincoln are the 11th biggest club in the division so their “natural” position is probably the bottom of the top half of league one.

Ending up in the middle of the bottom half wouldn’t be a good season but it’s not scandalous either

they’ve probably had a slightly worse season than Hibs but a slightly better one than Aberdeen

I think you're a good poster topcat(The most tip top) but it appears you've left a boot in there.

bbc GIF