Scottish Cup 2022/23

With Lochee United announced that's all the expected new SFA members. Unless i've missed something these should be the teams in the Preliminary Round if they keep this season's format. 49 teams with a potential qualifier in Invergordon as it has not been confirmed the NCL championship counts as a qualifying spot now that it is in the pyramid.

East of Scotland Premier (13)
Blackburn United  
Broxburn Athletic  
Dundonald Bluebell  
Haddington Athletic  
Hill of Beath Hawthorn  
Jeanfield Swifts  
Linlithgow Rose  
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale  
Musselburgh Athletic  
Penicuik Athletic  
Sauchie Juniors  
Tynecastle  
Vale of Leithen  

East of Scotland Lower Divisions (13)
Burntisland Shipyard  
Camelon Juniors  
Coldstream  
Dunbar United  
Dunipace  
Newtongrange Star  
Preston Athletic  
Whitehill Welfare  
Dalkeith Thistle  
Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare  
Hawick Royal Albert United  
St Andrews United  
Syngenta  

West of Scotland Premier (7)
Auchinleck Talbot  
Clydebank  
Cumnock Juniors  
Darvel  
Irvine Meadow XI  
Kilwinning Rangers  
Pollok  

West of Scotland Lower Divisions (7)
Benburb
Bonnyton Thistle
Drumchapel United (Cup Winners Shield qualifier)
Girvan
Glasgow University
Rutherglen Glencairn
Threave Rovers (WoSFL applicant)

South of Scotland League (3)
Newton Stewart
St Cuthbert Wanderers
Wigtown & Bladnoch

East Region Midlands League (3)
Carnoustie Panmure (Midlands League qualifier)
Lochee United
Tayport

North Caledonian League (2)
Fort William
Golspie Sutherland

Tower Hearts (Scottish Amateur Cup qualifier)

Possible Qualifier: Invergordon (NCL)

15 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Lochee United confirm their SFA licensing, and I'm delighted to see it. 2022/23 will be the first edition of the Scottish Cup with 3 licensed SFA members from Dundee since 1912/13.

https://www.facebook.com/Official.Lochee/posts/412014950932000

I'm still annoyed that the Ayr United game was postponed 25 times. Would have been a great day for the original tie.

Getting through to face SPFL sides much much harder now.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Presuming Invergordon don't get in as nothing has ever been mentioned, what does that make the preliminary/ies and first couple of rounds look like?

Preliminary Round: 49 clubs from Tier 6+ and qualifier enter = 3 random byes and 23 ties

1st Round: Highland League (18) and Lowland League (16) + 3 byes from Prelim + 23 Prelim winners = 30 ties

2nd Round: League Two (10) + 30 1st Round winners = 20 ties

3rd Round: Championship (10) & League One (10) + 20 2nd Round winners = 20 ties

4th Round: Premiership (12) + 20 3rd Round winners = 16 ties

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cheers. Too much arithmetic.

Shame they can't come up with a spurious reason to include 3 other teams. Cup or league runners up.

For f**k sake don't ask the LL for their suggestions to find 3 teams though.

They're going to have to make changes next season. There's going to be more than 3 clubs that get licenced and maybe more qualifying spots used.

Still think an SFA competition shouldn't be using SPFL (or LL/HFL) standings to weight entry if they don't need to.

When there are 128 teams then the prelims should be to get us to a 128 team first round.

Obviously the last 100 years have made it more complicated as we needed to get to 64 but 128 is in sight now.

A man can dream. 

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I like 14-0s.

Besides with every part time footballer in Scotland absolutely ripped on powdered eggs through herbal life I don't think it would be as bad these days.

Coldstream 1-10 East Kilbride and Wigtown & Bladnoch 0-8 St Cuthbert Wanderers in this season's edition stand out.

The only reason it might not be as bad with an all-in draw is the bigger SPFL sides playing their kids.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They had this sort of system in the 1950s but binned it because there were 14-0s and all sorts all over the place.

They also waved stupid rattles, banned homosexuality and were massive, open racists/bigots in the 1950s - I don't see precedent being cited often for those terrible judgments. 

Make the wee team automatically at home + force them to actually play it at home = guaranteed box office (which, in TV deal form, was not a consideration in the 1950s either). 

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Wigtown & Bladnoch 0-8 St Cuthbert Wanderers in this season's edition stand out.

That's no different to Celtic caning St Johnstone 7-0 in the top flight this season. 

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They had two preliminary rounds before, I wouldn't rule that out as being the solution.

What's the difference between a preliminary round and starting with round 1?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, ValeofBlast said:

Wow this competition is gonna end up so bloated. 

What my esteemed colleague meant to say, is that the competition opening up like this and allowing entry to so many clubs from all over the country is a quite wonderfully stupendous thing.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What's the difference between a preliminary round and starting with round 1?

There's no practical difference (though maybe there's one in terms of prize money, I don't know), I was just pointing out that there wouldn't necessarily need to be a change to the competition format to accommodate the extra teams. Under the current rules you'd just have an extra preliminary round to whittle it down to the correct number of Round 1 entrants.

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's no practical difference (though maybe there's one in terms of prize money, I don't know), I was just pointing out that there wouldn't necessarily need to be a change to the competition format to accommodate the extra teams. Under the current rules you'd just have an extra preliminary round to whittle it down to the correct number of Round 1 entrants.

Currently I believe prelim rounds pay out the same as if you were in round 1,  so that suggests running them as prelims is better for clubs as if a earlier proper round was added I think it would be lower payment.

As things stand an extra prelim round seems inevitable, there’s no obvious bye’s to drop out like when top 4 championship lost their byes a couple of seasons back.

19 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They had this sort of system in the 1950s but binned it because there were 14-0s and all sorts all over the place.

St Mirren 15 Glasgow University 0 and Hibs 15 Peebles Rovers 1 came after the system was rejigged.