Scottish Cup 2022/23

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Banks O'Dee fielded an ineligible player in their win over Turriff United, and have thus forfeited the tie. Turriff will now face Dunipace next weekend.

Long time since the tie. Always thought protests had to be in pretty quick.  Wonder what player it was.

Interesting and unusual that spotting and resolving this took 26 days.

1 hour ago, Strathman said:

Long time since the tie. Always thought protests had to be in pretty quick.  Wonder what player it was.

What protests?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

This intrigued me:

We have also recommended to the Scottish Football Association that a mandatory training scheme be created for all club secretaries and staff to help them become familiar with what they need to do.

Across the senior leagues there are usually a handful of ineligible player cases each season... in Scottish Cup it happens once every few seasons.

Does this justify compelling many hundreds of current and future club officials to do training as opposed to current approach of training-up successors, or it being voluntary?

1 hour ago, Strathman said:

Could have an impact on the Highland League too, depending on which player it was and the reason for his ineligibility.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

This intrigued me:

We have also recommended to the Scottish Football Association that a mandatory training scheme be created for all club secretaries and staff to help them become familiar with what they need to do.

Looks like they're trying to make the person responsible not feel so bad about it. Club secretaries get zero recognition for what they do until they make an almighty fuckup like this.

We were fortunate at Edinburgh City to have a club secretary for many years in Mr Baxter who was on the ball regarding suspensions but it was a tricky task 

Spartans were beneficiaries on a few occasions of successful protests regarding the Scottish Cup until the season they beat a Highland team away but had fielded an ineligible player themselves. Much hilarity amongst their rivals ensued from that one ..

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interesting and unusual that spotting and resolving this took 26 days.

What protests?

This intrigued me:

Across the senior leagues there are usually a handful of ineligible player cases each season... in Scottish Cup it happens once every few seasons.

Does this justify compelling many hundreds of current and future club officials to do training as opposed to current approach of training-up successors, or it being voluntary?

Not sure what you mean. Did Turriff United not protest?  Even stranger if they didn't.

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I mean I don't think it would be a bad idea for the SFA to have an online course or modules on how to do the various admin jobs at clubs, though I doubt it needs to be mandatory.

Just did a wee bit of research.  Initially I thought it was maybe a new signing like Paul Lawson or Neil Gauld who might be the ineligible player but looking at last season's fixtures I do not think that is the case.  Darryn Kelly was booked against Raith Rovers but not against East Fife in the previous round.  Dee previously had games against Linlithgow Rose away, Turriff and Nairn at home. If he got booked in any of these games I am guessing the suspension carried forward to this season.

Pure speculation!

9 hours ago, Strathman said:

Not sure what you mean. Did Turriff United not protest?  Even stranger if they didn't.

Turriff's views or actions have no bearing on whether BoD used an ineligible player or not, and there is no "protest" in the old-fashioned sense - indeed the word doesn't even appear in the cup rules or judicial panel protocol.

6 hours ago, Strathman said:

Just did a wee bit of research.  Initially I thought it was maybe a new signing like Paul Lawson or Neil Gauld who might be the ineligible player but looking at last season's fixtures I do not think that is the case ... I am guessing the suspension carried forward to this season. Pure speculation!

BoD specifically say it was a "registration error" resulting in somebody "not being properly registered".

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Turriff's views or actions have no bearing on whether BoD used an ineligible player or not, and there is no "protest" in the old-fashioned sense - indeed the word doesn't even appear in the cup rules or judicial panel protocol.

BoD specifically say it was a "registration error" resulting in somebody "not being properly registered".

Tbf the issue is usually raised by the 'disadvantaged' side, rather than the SFA or the guilty party. It's always funniest when the accused side finds a dodgy player on the other team in response, happened a few years ago in a Highland Cup, I think Turriff were involved again, and maybe Locos? @Jimmy Shaker

Turriff went crying about Cove fielding an ineligible player in a Shire cup semi-final, only for Cove to go through Turriff’s teamlines and discover they’d done likewise. Turriff won the replayed game - which Cove charged everyone to get into for a second time, natch - before getting skelped in the final by Locos. 

12 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Where we expecting the shocks this weekend then?

Dumbarton seem to have gone way off the boil which makes Cumnock a tasty option but also believe Forfar could be in for an upset at Kilwinning.

Would be an upset if we won TBH.

16 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Where we expecting the shocks this weekend then?

Dumbarton seem to have gone way off the boil which makes Cumnock a tasty option but also believe Forfar could be in for an upset at Kilwinning.

I’d use the term upset lightly 

I seem to remember last year in the Scottish Cup thread, a poster (who’s name escapes me but know I’m giving you full credit) used the ScotScore website’s ranking points as a method of measuring the two teams in different leagues together. Whilst not a sure fire 100% prediction rate, I seem to remember that the system got the vast majority of the predictions right. So, I’ve decided, as I am sad and seem to have a lot of disposable time, that I would do the same for this round of the cup.

https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html - here is the link for the website if anyone is interested.

Note - I’ve measured clubs with a gap of 50 or less as expected to draw. Anything more and the side with the higher ranking is expected to win.

Friday
Cumnock - 2670
Dumbarton - 2741
Difference - -71
DUMBARTON

Saturday
Brechin - 2763
Stirling - 2839
Difference - -76
STIRLING

Bo’ness - 2626
Auchinleck - 2767
Difference - -141
AUCHINLECK

Buckie - 2749
Broomhill - 2629
Difference - +120
BUCKIE

Carnoustie - 2611
Formartine - 2613
Difference - -2
DRAW

Dalbeattie - 2403
Darvel - 2813
Difference - -410
DARVEL

Dunbar - 2438
Stirling Uni - 2651
Difference - -213
STIRLING UNI

Dunipace - 2517
Banks o’Dee - 2665
Difference - -148
BANKS O DEE

East Kilbride - 2749
Caley Braves - 2640
Difference - +109
EAST KILBRIDE

Elgin - 2744
Camelon - 2385
Difference - +359
ELGIN

Fraserburgh - 2699
Stranraer - 2704
Difference - -5
DRAW

Glasgow Uni - 2354
Albion Rovers - 2702
Difference - -348
ALBION ROVERS

Gretna - 2436
Drumchapel - 2637
Difference - +201
DRUMCHAPEL

Kilwinning - 2713
Forfar - 2707
Difference - +6
Draw

Linlithgow - 2720
Spartans - 2691
Difference - +29
DRAW

Newtongrange Star - 2503
Hill of Beath - 2580
Difference - -71
HILL OF BEATH

Sauchie - 2613
Bonnyrigg - 2716
Difference - -103
BONNYRIGG ROSE

Stenhousemuir - 2749
East Fife - 2761
Difference - -12
DRAW

Wick - 2374
Benburb - 2547
Difference - -173
BENBURB

Of course, this doesn’t take into account things like red cards, the venue, weather conditions etc. - it’s pretty much measured on a form basis. It’s just quite interesting to see how teams in different leagues match up against each other.