Scottish Cup 2022/23

Meh, I thought the FA Cup was better for no replays last season, so not surprised to see the Scottish cup follow suit.

I get that some clubs might be raging losing out on a second payday from playing one of the big boys to a draw but at the same time would you not rather just take your chances in extra time in that case.

Regarding replays I quite liked it. Made sense to get rid where a neutral venue in final and semis. I suppose Premier sports or whoever has 1st choice of games not that fussed in covering replays unless celtic and rangers involved. 

Just seems to be the way that we copy what they do in England look at how we named tiers 2 to 4.  I wonder how soon before they  insist or sky insist on midweek rounds so they don't need to bother bidding for cup rights to cover their weekend schedule

I also hate replays. Greatest cup memory as a Clyde fan is knocking Celtic out, but it would have been better for us if we had smashed the ball into our own net in the 89th minute and had a replay at Parkhead. Ridiculous. I can't favour any system that potentially rewards draws better than wins.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I also hate replays. Greatest cup memory as a Clyde fan is knocking Celtic out, but it would have been better for us if we had smashed the ball into our own net in the 89th minute and had a replay at Parkhead. Ridiculous. I can't favour any system that potentially rewards draws better than wins.

Depends on whether you see "rewards" as simply what gets you more money or not I suppose.

Not fussed to see replays binned tbh but they should move the semi-finals away from Hampden while they're at it. Only the Final itself should be played at the National Stadium.

5 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Depends on whether you see "rewards" as simply what gets you more money or not I suppose.

Not fussed to see replays binned tbh but they should move the semi-finals away from Hampden while they're at it. Only the Final itself should be played at the National Stadium.

The SFA/SPFL needs to copy English football at every turn though.  I agree however, plenty of them could be played at Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc.

10 hours ago, grazza said:

Regarding replays I quite liked it. Made sense to get rid where a neutral venue in final and semis. I suppose Premier sports or whoever has 1st choice of games not that fussed in covering replays unless celtic and rangers involved.

In most cases it's not possible to show replays on TV because they coincide with UEFA fixture dates and are therefore subject to a broadcasting blackout. That's definitely one of the reasons replays were scrapped in the later rounds, since you'd frequently have games (including matches featuring the Old Firm and an Edinburgh derby) unable to be shown.

There's a handful of semis in the last dozen years that could have been played outside Glasgow. St Johnstone v St Mirren, St Johnstonne v Motherwell and possibly Hearts v ICT.

One or two others that were around the 20k mark 

The vast majority needed well over 20k

Edited by invergowrie arab

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

There's a handful of semis in the last dozen years that could have been played outside Glasgow. St Johnstone v St Mirren, St Johnstonne v Motherwell and possibly Hearts v ICT.

The weird thing about that tie in 2019 was 5/6 years before that in both 12-13 and 13-14 we played Hearts in the LC semi final at Easter Road.  I have no idea why our 18-19 SC semi final couldn't have been played there.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Just makes reaching Hampden less special IMO but it's a personal preference.

I know they're not going to turn back now and go for less money.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The SFA/SPFL needs to copy English football at every turn though.  I agree however, plenty of them could be played at Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc.

Exactly. 

- Abolish the League Cup groups

- Create the groups in the challenge cup instead 

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

In most cases it's not possible to show replays on TV because they coincide with UEFA fixture dates and are therefore subject to a broadcasting blackout. That's definitely one of the reasons replays were scrapped in the later rounds, since you'd frequently have games (including matches featuring the Old Firm and an Edinburgh derby) unable to be shown.

Isn't that just for top-flight league football? Pretty sure I'd read thst lower league matches and Cup replays (but possibly not original fixtures?) are able to be shown without penalty. 

A look at the scotscores rankings for the teams in the Preliminary round and my predicted results - apart from Whitehill, Irvine Meadow, Broxburn, and Glasgow Uni the rest look to be one sided, but you never know in the cup...

Home  Away Gap  
Syngenta v Threave Rovers 2512 2437 75 Home
Clydebank v Bonnyton Thistle 2704 2335 369 Home
Haddington Athletic v Darvel 2527 2815 -288 Away
Auchinleck Talbot v Coldstream 2806 2306 500 Home
Dalkeith Thistle v Lochee United 2257 2656 -399 Away
Whitehill Welfare v Camelon Juniors 2425 2391 34 Draw
Irvine Meadow v Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2622 2607 15 Draw
Linlithgow Rose v St Cuthbert Wanderers 2698 2338 360 Home
Broxburn Athletic v Blackburn United 2578 2526 52 Draw
Tower Hearts v Cumnock Juniors n/a 2707   ?
Sauchie v St Andrews United 2655 2280 375 Home
Invergordon v Newtongrange Star 2264 2453 -189 Away
Vale of Leithen v Dunbar United 2201 2459 -258 Away
Preston Athletic v Newton Stewart 2431 2356 75 Home
Wigtown & Bladnoch v Dunipace 1827 2481 -654 Away
Fort William v Benburb 2235 2634 -399 Away
Dundonald Bluebell v Tayport 2574 2509 108 Home
Drumchapel United v Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare 2617 2164 499 Home
Penicuik Athletic v Musselburgh United 2663 2524 139 Home
Carnoustie Panmure v Hawick Royal Albert 2662 2032 630 Home
Rutherglen Glencairn v Kilwinning Rangers 2581 2707 -126 Away
Pollok v Girvan 2733 2262 471 Home