Scottish Cup 2022/23

Seen some chat about Tier 6 League Champions getting a place in the cup.

Anyone have any idea if this is still going to happen, specifically the T6 north leagues given T6 South are more likely than not to be licensed in the coming years?

Any other new sides in the competition this year?

I'm also predicting Dundee won't win it.

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Seen some chat about Tier 6 League Champions getting a place in the cup.

Anyone have any idea if this is still going to happen, specifically the T6 north leagues given T6 South are more likely than not to be licensed in the coming years?

Any other new sides in the competition this year?

I'm also predicting Dundee won't win it.

The only Tier 6 non-licenced champion that has some doubt is the NCL. They've never had a place as a qualifier. The Midlands is just a continuation of the ERSJFA champion.

The South/East/West Cup Winners' Shield will see a new entrant: St Cadoc's/Drumchapel United or Nithsdale Wanderers or Crossgates Primrose.

Then there will be some new SFA members by the looks of things.

Dundee (area) could five clubs in the Scottish Cup next season with Dundee United, Dundee being joined by Lochee United and Tayport who looked to be getting licenced while either East Craigie or Carnoustie Panmure will win the Midlands League taking the other berth.

Must be the first time in 120 years we've had so many clubs in the Cup. Certainly been no more than three in my lifetime with Lochee United making two guest appearances.

Edited by Ray Patterson

On 18/04/2022 at 21:48, Ray Patterson said:

Dundee (area) could five clubs in the Scottish Cup next season with Dundee United, Dundee being joined by Lochee United and Tayport who looked to be getting licenced while either East Craigie or Carnoustie Panmure will win the Midlands League taking the other berth.

Must be the first time in 120 years we've had so many clubs in the Cup. Certainly been no more than three in my lifetime with Lochee United making two guest appearances.

Hopefully that will go up further, I know other Dundee clubs still have a fair bit of work to do for licensing, but at least the opportunity is there. If you look at the improvements made at some smaller EOS clubs, that should be possible with some clubs in this area too.

It's obviously not our first time in the cup (providing licensing indeed goes ahead), but it will be good as a licensed side. Having floodlights will also help. Let's hope for a good draw...

On 18/04/2022 at 16:03, FairWeatherFan said:

The only Tier 6 non-licenced champion that has some doubt is the NCL. They've never had a place as a qualifier. The Midlands is just a continuation of the ERSJFA champion.

The South/East/West Cup Winners' Shield will see a new entrant: St Cadoc's/Drumchapel United or Nithsdale Wanderers or Crossgates Primrose.

Then there will be some new SFA members by the looks of things.

It would only be fair enough if the NCL champions also get a Scottish Cup ticket, otherwise they'd be the only tier 6 champions who don't. But this is the SFA, so you never know...

IMO, there should also be a northern variant of the Cup Winners' Shield, so clubs in tier 6 and lower all have a cup pathway into the Scottish Cup.

7 minutes ago, Marten said:

IMO, there should also be a northern variant of the Cup Winners' Shield, so clubs in tier 6 and lower all have a cup pathway into the Scottish Cup.

There should but right now the Junior Cup is classed as that. That's why it's the Junior Cup or Strathclyde/Alex Jack. Not both. 

Again that just leaves the NCL sitting out. 

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There should but right now the Junior Cup is classed as that. That's why it's the Junior Cup or Strathclyde/Alex Jack. Not both. 

Again that just leaves the NCL sitting out. 

Yeah, but I can't see the Junior Cup staying for long in its current form. There are rumours of a cup for all of tier 6 and below, which would be great, but then I think there should still be "qualifying cups" for the north like there are in the south. In the tier 6 & below cup (if it happens) the licensed sides would also take part so you can't really use that one for it.

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

When was the last time, if ever, the Scottish Cup final was played in June? Certainly it has been played in March and April before.

It hasn't ever, as far as I can see. The 2003 final between Dundee and Rangers was the closest, held on the 31st of May.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Drumchapel worthy winners against Crossgates yesterday at Benburb. If they win down at Nithsdale next week they're in the Scottish Cup for the first time.

Where do Drumchapel play? I was at the Donald Dewar Centre the other week which is where I tread they were planning to play but I don't actually know if that is the case. It certainly didn't look up to scratch to host senior games.

12 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Where do Drumchapel play? I was at the Donald Dewar Centre the other week which is where I tread they were planning to play but I don't actually know if that is the case. It certainly didn't look up to scratch to host senior games.

New Tinto Park (home of Benburb). It has hosted some amateur cup winners in the Scottish Cup before.

Carnoustie Panmure book their Scottish Cup place by winning the Midlands League today.

Would really like to see the winners of the Quest Engineering Cup get a place as well as the winners of the NCL, as the unlicensed places are very skewed towards the south of the country.

1 minute ago, Ray Patterson said:

Carnoustie Panmure book their Scottish Cup place by winning the Midlands League today.

Would really like to see the winners of the Quest Engineering Cup get a place as well as the winners of the NCL, as the unlicensed places are very skewed towards the south of the country.

NCL yes if they want to, Inter-regional cup no. Unlicensed clubs in the Midlands/North have the Junior Cup as an entry option. The Lowland's Cup Winners Shield is for unlicensed clubs not in the Junior Cup.

• 3 weeks later...