Cove Vs Sons

wont be attending. all the best to cove. you guys were good spirited down the rock when we were housed in the same stand, 

pleased for megginson too he deserves championship footy he was great for us and we sold him short.

fk paul hartley 

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

wont be attending. all the best to cove. you guys were good spirited down the rock when we were housed in the same stand, 

pleased for megginson too he deserves championship footy he was great for us and we sold him short.

fk paul hartley 

In what way did we sell Megginson short?

4 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

fk paul hartley 

We sold Mitch Megginson short, eh? He left us to join Raith Rovers and he was a regular player in the best Sons team of my lifetime. 

TBH if I remeber correctly, he wasn’t in the best of form in the months prior to his departure.

On 18/04/2022 at 09:43, CoveRangers1922 said:

The team lineup for the aforementioned game that clinched the HL title back on 13th April 2019 was as is below. 6 in that team are still regular starters, 7 if you include Harry who was on the bench that day. Masson still gets minutes too.

** Mitch got the decisive goal but you probably guessed that already

1. McKenzie

2. Kelly

3. Redford 

4. Ross

5. Strachan

6. Scully

7. Yule

8. Park

9. Scott

10. Megginson

11. Masson

Subs

Watson

Milne

Burnett (on for Masson)

McRae (on for park)

McManus 

McCafferty

I think that's brilliant that you have the same  core of players that brought you into the spfl. Shows what some consistency does. Then you see our shower of diddies year in year out and it's some contrast. Congratulations on what I'm sure will be a well celebrated promotion! Enjoy! We have no hope in hell of spoiling the party! 

13 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I think that's brilliant that you have the same  core of players that brought you into the spfl. Shows what some consistency does. Then you see our shower of diddies year in year out and it's some contrast. Congratulations on what I'm sure will be a well celebrated promotion! Enjoy! We have no hope in hell of spoiling the party! 

It's fairly incredible watching the same group of guys who played against the likes of Forres and Wick  then playing against Hibs at Easter Road a few years later. I'm sure there will be new faces coming in over the summer and some of the core might get less minutes but such is football. 

Hopefully there are better times ahead for the Sons and once again get back to successful times. The team of 2013/2014 was full of talent. McGinn, Graham, Agnew, Prunty, Kane, Mitch

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It's fairly incredible watching the same group of guys who played against the likes of Forres and Wick  then playing against Hibs at Easter Road a few years later. I'm sure there will be new faces coming in over the summer and some of the core might get less minutes but such is football. 

Hopefully there are better times ahead for the Sons and once again get back to successful times. The team of 2013/2014 was full of talent. McGinn, Graham, Agnew, Prunty, Kane, Mitch

This is completely off topic. But seeing Aggy on the touchline got me wondering about how good a player he was for us. I would say he's one of my favourite ever Sons players - and I don't doubt a lot of fans my age would feel similar. But I'd never really delved into his stats.

In 2011/12 when we were promoted from League One (or the 2nd Div as was) he scored 13 and assisted 20 in 42 appearances from central midfield. That is stupendous. Looking back at that I'm staggered a full-time club didn't poach him at the end of the season.

I absolutely loved that squad you've listed. I remember my Dad telling me regularly between about 08/09 and 13/14 to enjoy it, because there wouldn't be many seasons like that or teams like that. Unfortunately, with his 40 odd years of watching DFC experience, he was absolutely right. It's been a brutal slog since the summer of 2017 or so. 

13 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This is completely off topic. But seeing Aggy on the touchline got me wondering about how good a player he was for us. I would say he's one of my favourite ever Sons players - and I don't doubt a lot of fans my age would feel similar. But I'd never really delved into his stats.

In 2011/12 when we were promoted from League One (or the 2nd Div as was) he scored 13 and assisted 20 in 42 appearances from central midfield. That is stupendous. Looking back at that I'm staggered a full-time club didn't poach him at the end of the season.

I absolutely loved that squad you've listed. I remember my Dad telling me regularly between about 08/09 and 13/14 to enjoy it, because there wouldn't be many seasons like that or teams like that. Unfortunately, with his 40 odd years of watching DFC experience, he was absolutely right. It's been a brutal slog since the summer of 2017 or so. 

20 assists and 13 goals in 42 games is ludicrously impressive. I didn't realise it was nearly as high as that. That left foot is golden. How many times did it go Agnew-Prunty-goal!?

Although playing deeper for Airdrie he's still strolling it. Astounded if he didn't have offers from FT clubs at that time. Murray took him to St Mirren didn't he?

He must have been Div 2 player of the league that season. Compare those figures with say Easton who this year has been arguably the best if not one of the best players in the league, he has 11 assists and 8 goals in 34 league games.

A fantastic 5+ years for Dumbarton fans to treasure. The last 3 for Cove have been a joy to watch. Watching the likes of Mitch constantly top the scoring charts, Rory still being prolific in his twilight years and partnering Mitch (a dream lower league strike force), a rejuvenated Fyvie who has had a decorated career, Shay Logan and seeing the likes of Harry rising through the divisions and gaining attention from Prem clubs. I tend to think, am I witnessing the best Cove team in a generation or is there more to come.

Aberdeen has been a one club city forever really. It's big enough to have 2 full times sides and have healthy competition. My hope is that one day we make it a reality but who knows how it will all pan out. 

22 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

20 assists and 13 goals in 42 games is ludicrously impressive. I didn't realise it was nearly as high as that. That left foot is golden. How many times did it go Agnew-Prunty-goal!?

Although playing deeper for Airdrie he's still strolling it. Astounded if he didn't have offers from FT clubs at that time. Murray took him to St Mirren didn't he?

He must have been Div 2 player of the league that season. Compare those figures with say Easton who this year has been arguably the best if not one of the best players in the league, he has 11 assists and 8 goals in 34 league games.

A fantastic 5+ years for Dumbarton fans to treasure. The last 3 for Cove have been a joy to watch. Watching the likes of Mitch constantly top the scoring charts, Rory still being prolific in his twilight years and partnering Mitch (a dream lower league strike force), a rejuvenated Fyvie who has had a decorated career, Shay Logan and seeing the likes of Harry rising through the divisions and gaining attention from Prem clubs. I tend to think, am I witnessing the best Cove team in a generation or is there more to come.

Aberdeen has been a one club city forever really. It's big enough to have 2 full times sides and have healthy competition. My hope is that one day we make it a reality but who knows how it will all pan out. 

That Agnew/Prunty (and in the playoffs Agnew/Dargo) combination must've contributed to about half those assists. Really inteligent players who were on the same wavelength. Incredible he wasn't POTY that season either - that honour went to top scorer Ryan Donnelly at Airdrie, who had the season of his life!

Murray did take him to St Mirren. But unfortunately it went pretty sour for both of them quite quickly. Just the wrong club at the wrong time, and something both of their careers took a while to bounce back from.

This Cove side have almost gone under the radar to a degree. It's like since they came up everyone has just expected them to win every week - so nothing much is said about it. You guys have lost three games all season. That's an incredible effort, and in most seasons would see you run away with the title.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Whatever happened to that cat? I remember him having trials down south but he just seemed to disappear.

He was very briefly on trial with us in about 2014. But the last I heard he was at Gartcairn. No idea if he's still kicking a ball there.

One of those one-season wonders who looked like he could be a real superstar. Then vanished as quickly as he'd appeared.

Edit: Seems he was last with Lanark United - clicky.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Whatever happened to that cat? I remember him having trials down south but he just seemed to disappear.

Much as others have said , he has been at Gartcairn. He remains one of our top goalscorers but in the following season Jimmy Boyle played him in midfield and his game vanished. 

On 18/04/2022 at 23:01, CoveRangers1922 said:

There's quite a bit of parking just outside the ground which is in an industrial estate. The nearest office car park (stones throw from the ground) is used by all fans on match day. If you there before 2.30 you should get a space.

Thanks.

Destiny day for Cove. It's in our own hands, no relying on other results. 

P&J article yesterday reported that Rory is 50/50 as to whether he makes the team today. I suspect he won't be chanced; bench at best. Strachan confirmed as still out.

Expecting the same team as last week which means Fyvie alongside Mitch or at the tip of the diamond.

Beautiful blue sky day and even now it seems far busier than usual. Hoping for a bumper crowd. There was word of us surpassing the 2000 that attended for the L2 playoff final first leg but I cant quite see that.

IMG_20220423_140344.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

The game means nothing for us but I see no benefit in starting Stokes, or dropping Duthie unless he isn't fit. Stokes has only ever had an impact coming on as a sub and tbh he isn't a striker. Syvertsen sitting on the bench when he's clearly a more talented player and needs minutes seems daft. Glad Wilson is in though. 

I love that Stevie Farrell has waited till our season is all but over to start playing guys in their natural positions. McLean out wide. Wilson on from the start. 

good job Stevie. Really feels like you intentionally piss us off. Get tae fk