Queen of the South vs Ayr United

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Yellow card if a player

handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal

Red card if a player
denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence

Law 12

Fair enough.

I'd just assumed that something that deliberate would result in a booking these days.  From what you're quoting, the idea of a goal at either end being threatened, is more important than the notion of possession.

5 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I have literally no idea what you're talking about. 

I actually quite like how we're deflecting from the disappointment with an utterly pointless argument about a meaningless incident.

What I'm talking about is what you mean by denying the opposition possession.  Surely if it gets given, no foul ever achieves that.

Guest Flash
7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair enough.

I'd just assumed that something that deliberate would result in a booking these days.  From what you're quoting, the idea of a goal at either end being threatened, is more important than the notion of possession.

Interfering with a promising attack is open to interpretation. It could mean deliberate hand ball in your own half. Deliberate hand ball that stops the ball going out of play could be a yellow card if the throw-in would have been awarded to the opponent because you might have prevented an attack that would otherwise have taken place from the throw-in, especially if stopping play by handling the ball allowed the defending team time to get more players back.

Edited by Flash

Saw one of our buses getting stopped by the police on the drive back. Seemed to be looking for someone. If the incident is as bad as it sounds I hope they got the numpty.

Cordoned off when I went for my tea. Two ambulances and a paddy wagon with other coppers floating about. Hopefully those assaulted are ok.
Genuinely no idea how you didn't bury us today. If that is indicative of your forwards usual accuracy then I can see why your going down. We were very very lucky to still be in it at the end.
The approach by the Queen's safety officer was utterly bizarre today. No idea why some of us were allowed round to the terrace in the first half on a one in one out basis. There could have been some real bother at half time as fans were packed in tightly being refused entry. Even the steward on the terrace we spoke to was apologetic about how it was being handled as it was totally out of their hands. It wouldn't have taken much for that to have became dangerous as only a select few were being let through.
I read earlier that there was a couple of boys sitting on the terrace eating chips pre-match and were told to stand or be ejected from the ground due to health and safety regulations. Some of the fuckwits who fling on a steward vest really are complete brain donors who think they aren't doing a job a trained chimp could do.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Interfering with a promising attack is open to interpretation. It could mean deliberate hand ball in your own half. Deliberate hand ball that stops the ball going out of play could be a yellow card if the throw-in would have been awarded to the opponent because you might have prevented an attack that would otherwise have taken place from the throw-in, especially if stopping play by handling the ball allowed the defending team more time to get more players back.

Yes, well that would explain the absence of a card today.

There was certainly no advantage in him catching it.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually quite like how we're deflecting from the disappointment with an utterly pointless argument about a meaningless incident.

What I'm talking about is what you mean by denying the opposition possession.  Surely if it gets given, no foul ever achieves that.

Me too :)

Clearly its possession before free kick. Same as a "promising attack". Not every foul on the edge of the box is a booking for deny a promising attack but a free kick on the edge of the box is a promising chance to score.

Had their been an Ayr player behind Gibson who the ball would have went to had he not caught it, then that would have denied the opposition possession. 

Flash has given some more detail on the rule, so the idea of just possession isnt as relevant as denying a promising attack.

Again, either way, it wasnt a booking no matter how many Ayr players, coaches or fans claim otherwise

28 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No it’s not.

It is. The laws state you that a player should be cautioned if he "handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack". Otherwise a direct free kick is awarded. This is covered in Law 12.

3 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Me too :)

Clearly its possession before free kick. Same as a "promising attack". Not every foul on the edge of the box is a booking for deny a promising attack but a free kick on the edge of the box is a promising chance to score.

Had their been an Ayr player behind Gibson who the ball would have went to had he not caught it, then that would have denied the opposition possession. 

Flash has given some more detail on the rule, so the idea of just possession isnt as relevant as denying a promising attack.

Again, either way, it wasnt a booking no matter how many Ayr players, coaches or fans claim otherwise

Aye, ok.  I was surprised at the time when he wasn't booked, but I probably shouldn't have been.

I'm actually a bit more gutted by today than I thought I'd be.

You?

2 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Hard to blame East in any way but I would like to see If Rae was going to get to the ball from the shot. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I was a fair bit away but from my angle I thought Rae was getting it. But don't blame East, he wasn't to know and rightly flung himself at it.

That goal alone was what relegated us anyway and he's been far better than most this season.

I'm certain the shot was on target but would've been easily saved by Rae if East hadn't have deflected it. If I'm right that the shot was on target, then by definition it is McInroy's goal and to call it an OG isn't just extremely harsh on Euan East, but not actually correct. 

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

Collum came to speak to Bullen and said it’s in a nothing area and the ball was flying five yards out the park and he didn’t attempt to handball it to take any advantage although it was a strange thing to do from Gibson. 

I couldn’t see from my side but did we have a decent handball shout in the area near the end of the half ? Collum managed to miss a clear shirt pull then the player let go just as Junior went down. 

I actually thought that Collum did well today. There were some questionable calls and non-calls, but a lesser referee could've lost control and flashed a lot more cards.

If that's Collum's explanation of the catch, fair enough. For the other handball shout, Collum explained to Wullie that it had hit above the t-shirt line. Wullie seemed to accept this so fair enough.

39 minutes ago, Flash said:

Cameron and Soares-Junior have scored a grand total of 4 league goals for Queens between them.
Neither of them has scored a single goal in any competition this year. Ignoring his OG, Cameron last scored on 18 December and Soares-Junior scored his solitary league goal on 21 August.

That is shocking. I knew it was bad, but not THAT bad! 

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Aye, ok.  I was surprised at the time when he wasn't booked, but I probably shouldn't have been.

I'm actually a bit more gutted by today than I thought I'd be.

You?

Well, the internet connection worked fine today, so happy with that :lol:

Im definitely more gutted than I thought I'd be. I think thats because we came so close to taking it to the last game. Had Dunfermline won, or we'd played out a dull 0-0, which looked like happening, I dont think I would have been as bothered

It would have been bad enough going down today if we had played out a scrappy 0-0. In typical Queens’ fashion we get ahead with a few Minutes remaining and lose a dreadful scrambled goal from a long throw despite having everybody back.
Cant understand why we start with both Cameron and Junior up front in the key striking positions. They are honestly two of the poorest finishers I have ever seen in a Queens shirt and trust me there have been plenty of contenders.Paton always seems to be left out - he did more in the short time he was on than the pair of them did in the full 90. Don’t even start me about Connelly being stuck out wide where he literally hasn’t kicked a ball for months. These decisions really bring into question if WG and GM can be trusted with the major rebuild that we face.
Dont like having a pop at Willie because once again he was our best player but these key selection blunders really add up. Junior has had so many chances to deliver and he just keeps on flattering to deceive and we stick Connelly in an alien position and omit Paton to accommodate him?

Agree Paton looked more dangerous when he came on but he also missed a very good chance (which tbf he made for himself) so I don’t think he can really be the striking answer. But Cameron and Soares are so toothless it’s painful. Todd missed a sitter but so did several Ayr forwards so we were lucky to go in level. Todd isn’t captain material imo. Too quiet.

If WG does stay on as manager I think he needs to hang up his boots and focus on it. I don’t think the player manager gig has worked, and it says so much that he’s been our best player this season.

10 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Well, the internet connection worked fine today, so happy with that :lol:

Im definitely more gutted than I thought I'd be. I think thats because we came so close to taking it to the last game. Had Dunfermline won, or we'd played out a dull 0-0, which looked like happening, I dont think I would have been as bothered

Yes, that's probably it.  There was a brief spell when it was all going beautifully, and then it wasn't.

I think that's what makes it sore. 

At the same time though, I'm kind of glad we at least got a moment.  There have been precious few of those, and the scenes were great at the time.

33 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Chance to see 41 year old Derek Lyle if he continues playing for the Blue Toon

I would be more concerned about Conroy pinging a belter into the top corner. 

Agree Paton looked more dangerous when he came on but he also missed a very good chance (which tbf he made for himself) so I don’t think he can really be the striking answer. But Cameron and Soares are so toothless it’s painful. Todd missed a sitter but so did several Ayr forwards so we were lucky to go in level. Todd isn’t captain material imo. Too quiet.

If WG does stay on as manager I think he needs to hang up his boots and focus on it. I don’t think the player manager gig has worked, and it says so much that he’s been our best player this season.
It was refreshing to see him come on up front and actually run at defenders. Something the other shitebag strikers fail to do.

I don't think he's going to be a 20 goal a season player but I'd be giving him a run of games up front next season rather than wasted out wide.

Innes Cameron managed to stop or interfere with most of our promising attacks in the games he played in.  We didn't have to rely on opposing players doing something stupid like deliberately handling the ball.

Innes Cameron managed to stop or interfere with most of our promising attacks in the games he played in.  We didn't have to rely on opposing players doing something stupid like deliberately handling the ball.
The worry is he'll rock up on loan at us next season again as we'll be playing at his level.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
3 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

The worry is he'll rock up on loan at us next season again as we'll be playing at his level.

Surely we're not being demoted to the Lowland League? 🤯

Guest Flash
20 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'm less gutted tonight than I anticipated. It possibly because I've scarcely watched a game recently either at the match or on line. Our efforts this season have quite frankly led me to a place somewhere between acceptance and indifference.

Sad really.

Exactly this. 
Felt the same way from quite early in the season. I’ve never felt as disconnected from a squad of players than I have from this lot - a very difficult group to like. They turn up when they feel like it, which isn’t often. So I’ve decided to do the same. I sincerely hope we don’t re-sign any of them.