Easter Monday showdown

As an interested neutral, I felt it was a real contrast in styles. Darvel played the better football, whereas Talbot played long ball most of the night, but that was expected.

A huge save by Leishman at 2-1, possibly a league-winning save.

Some difficult games to come for both teams so could be twists and turns yet. If Darvel don’t get in front by a margin I think other teams can peg them back if they are fitter. They seemed to completely run out of energy in the second half across the whole team. Talbot had lots of attacks in the second half (more than they they had in the first half) but a combination of poor choices and poor finishing meant they couldn’t capitalise. Β 

Edited by Rugbyroader

10 minutes ago, glensmad said:

As an interested neutral, I felt it was a real contrast in styles. Darvel played the better football, whereas Talbot played long ball most of the night, but that was expected.

A huge save by Leishman at 2-1, possibly a league-winning save.

Is it long ball or getting the ball quickly up the park? They transistion quickly to use the pace they have and put the opposition under pressure. Darvel do knock the ball about and have decent players in the midfield and forward areas. They didn’t look too clever at the back but perhaps that was because Talbot put them under pressure. Β 

Most long ball teams play with a target man and I wouldn’t say Talbot do. Β Boylan is the closest they have to that but he isn’t a target man.Β 

As I said it’s unfair to class Talbot as a long ball team as they have a number of skilful footballers like Shankland, Wardrope, Samson, Hyslop, Glasgow both Wilsons etc.Β 

Anyone else managing that team would have them getting the ball quickly from back to front.Β 

Edited by Rugbyroader

Is it long ball or getting the ball quickly up the park? They transistion quickly to use the pace they have and put the opposition under pressure. Darvel do knock the ball about and have decent players in the midfield and forward areas. They didn’t look too clever at the back but perhaps that was because Talbot put them under pressure. Β 
Most long ball teams play with a target man and I wouldn’t say Talbot do. Β Boylan is the closest they have to that but he isn’t a target man.Β 
As I said it’s unfair to class Talbot as a long ball team as they have a number of skilful footballers like Shankland, Wardrope, Samson, Hyslop, Glasgow both Wilsons etc.Β 
Anyone else managing that team would have them getting the ball quickly from back to front.Β 
"Long ball" and "getting the ball quickly up the park" is the same thing is it not ?

It wasn't meant as a criticism, Talbot play the way they do and are extremely good at it and it has worked for them for a long time, so there's no need to be sensitive about an analysis of that style of play.

9 hours ago, andy25 said:

What game were you watching?
Talbot had the better chances over the 90 minutes.

Your comment was Β was Darvel blowing out their ass at end my reply was at the end Darvel were still looking to win game . Think both had a few chances to win game .Β 

29 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The roar from the Talbot supporters at full time was pretty significant in my opinion. Talbot's fans don't think they can be caught now. They might be correct, time will tell.

Better result for Talbot than Darvel. Talbot also came from behind twice. I also don’t think there is any respect or admiration from Talbot or fans of other teams for teams that are bank rolled as most fans have seen it at other clubs before.

No way the squad that Darvel have assembled are travelling down there firstly for money and secondly perhaps for an opportunity to be successful. Some of their players who have played junior before have had a number of clubs rather than being at a club for a number of years.Β 

What happens if the money stops flowing. Decent ground but good facilities only remain so with continual investment. The entire set up seems out of kilter with the town and level of support.

The pie man isn’t young and will his family want to continue what he is doing? He talks about sustainability but I can’t see that Darvel is sustainable. He needs to build something with more than just him and Kennedy involved.Β 

Edited by Rugbyroader

28 minutes ago, glensmad said:

"Long ball" and "getting the ball quickly up the park" is the same thing is it not ?

It wasn't meant as a criticism, Talbot play the way they do and are extremely good at it and it has worked for them for a long time, so there's no need to be sensitive about an analysis of that style of play.

I don’t think it is. They transistion quickly but why wouldn’t they given the pace they have. If you look at where the balls in the air go they tend to go down the wings Β to Boylan who is the tallest player in the team but isn’t a target man.Β 

If Talbot had a big target man at Centre Forward and were simply aiming for him at every opportunity I’d say they were a long ball team but I don’t think that’s how they play. They do go back to front quickly when they gain possession which leads to comments that they are a long ball team.Β 

Given the pace in the team most managers would want the ball forward quickly to put the opposition under pressure and force errors.Β 

Edited by Rugbyroader

15 minutes ago, Vale 77 said:

Your comment was Β was Darvel blowing out their ass at end my reply was at the end Darvel were still looking to win game . Think both had a few chances to win game .Β 

Do you not think Talbot were fitter and Darvel fell out of the game for most of the second half? Be interesting what the neutrals thought.

Darvel came into the came again in the last five minutes but didn’t create as much as they had in the first half. Talbot had the better chances in the second half as they were pressing Darvel more as they had fallen out of the game. Darvel looked happy to slow the game down for most of the second half and weren’t doing anything quickly.Β 

Edited by Rugbyroader

Better result for Talbot than Darvel. Talbot also came from behind twice. I also don’t think there is any respect or admiration from Talbot or fans of other teams for teams that are bank rolled as most fans have seen it at other clubs before. No way the squad that Darvel have assembled are there for anything apart from money and perhaps an opportunity to be successful. What happens if the money stops flowing. Decent ground but good facilities only remain so with continual investment. The entire set up seems out of kilter with the town and level of support.
The pie man isn’t young and will his family want to continue what he is doing? He talks about sustainability but I can’t see that Darvel is sustainable. He needs to build something with more than just him and Kennedy involved.Β 
Brilliant post.

9 hours ago, Talbot supporter said:
9 hours ago, passbackdave said:
Everyone knows sloan n talbots style and it works for them so why would they change. Yes its hard 2 watch but if my team was as successful as them i wouldnt care how we played as end of day its about results. Sounded a good game tonight i was gonnie go but park way the kids won lolΒ 
Β 
Mon the papers

Tbf when we do get it down and pass what a difference, we need to do it more often, I've heard tucker tell them many a time to get it down and play

When u sign a player n mould them into a type of player they r its harder for them 2 adapt to a different type of way of playing. moff likes all his players 2 play football and build from back and a couple of them struggled but it took time and a few mistakes but there starting w get used 2 it. Talbot players will be the same. I actually like talbots style of getting at teams n making them make a mistake.

Β 

Mon the papers

Just now, Rugbyroader said:

Do you not think Talbot were fitter and Darvel fell out of the game for most of the second half. They came into the came again in the last five minutes but didn’t create as much as they had I. The first half. Talbot had the better chances in the second half as they were pressurising Darvel more as they fell out of the game. Darvel looked happy to slow the game down for most of the second half and weren’t doing anything quickly.Β 

Darvel missed an absolute sitter in the second half though he did look well offside. Lieshman was by far the busier keeper and the Darvel goalie main job was to run out and intercept balls fired from the Talbot half. Darvel are by far a better footballing team with the more skilful players who have played regular at a higher level. Whoever laid Darvel’s pitch is to blame for them not winning the league. Without the fixture pile up I believe they would be at least 6 points better off. The pieman also pumps a substantial amount into your team I am sure he could divert it to Darvel at some point and would probably be a lot more than he is ploughing in nowΒ 

34 minutes ago, Bheaten Castard said:

Darvel missed an absolute sitter in the second half though he did look well offside. Lieshman was by far the busier keeper and the Darvel goalie main job was to run out and intercept balls fired from the Talbot half. Darvel are by far a better footballing team with the more skilful players who have played regular at a higher level. Whoever laid Darvel’s pitch is to blame for them not winning the league. Without the fixture pile up I believe they would be at least 6 points better off. The pieman also pumps a substantial amount into your team I am sure he could divert it to Darvel at some point and would probably be a lot more than he is ploughing in nowΒ 

MacKenzie had a chance in the second half that Leishman saved but it wasn’t created from good play it seemed to break to him hence why he was in the amount of space he was.Β 

Talbot had more pressure in the second half but poor choices and finishing let them down.

Darvel were good in the first half but as I said I thought they ran out of energy in the second half. Travelling by car from Glasgow to the Valley frequently must take it’s toll eventually!!!πŸ˜‰

Gall gets excellent profile for his business from being involved at Killie.Β He describes himself as the β€˜Killie Pie Man’ to folk who don’t know who he is!! Suggesting he puts even more money into Darvel isn’t sustainable.Β 

Darvel should win the league with the money invested in the squad. It’s bound to hurt if they don’t win it. 😭

Successful teams have to cope with playing 3/4 games per week at the end of a season. Happens to Talbot every year and they have few call offs at Beechwood.Β 

Can see some twists and turns yet as there are difficult fixtures coming up for both teams.Β 

I’m interested in what the neutrals thought.Β 

Edited by Rugbyroader

53 minutes ago, Bheaten Castard said:

Let's ballance whats going on at darvel compared to Auchinleck.Β 

From willie knox to tucker Talbot have been at the business end of the season for decades not going through the roll of honour I am sure the massive darvel support will know.

Fast forward to darvel 4ish years ago they were playing on a muck heep in front of 3 men a dug and a soggy fish supper, winner in general nothing, in comes the pie man and his cohort and their massive egos and cronies including unlimited amounts of unsubstanable amounts of money and they are now world beaters. This bus will break down and Darvel will be back where they belong.Β 

Edited by fb4