Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

It’s a win-win situation really. I’m not getting bogged down with which is better. There’s advantages to both competitions.

Personally, I think I’d like Manchester United or Arsenal or any of the biggest clubs in the world, then a group in the conference where we could grab second and reach the knockouts. I’m really looking forward to it no matter what though. I’ve seen us play Bayern, Mallorca, Leverkusen, Liverpool, Spurs, AEK and loads of other European clubs. It’s all just about enjoying the tournament and feeling like you are a part of something. It helps players develop too. 

Edited by Kyle Reese

13 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

It’s a win-win situation really. I’m not getting bogged down with which is better. There’s advantages to both competitions.

Personally, I think I’d like Manchester United or Arsenal or any of the biggest clubs in the world, then a group in the conference where we could grab second and reach the knockouts. I’m really looking forward to it no matter what though. I’ve seen us play Bayern, Mallorca, Leverkusen, Liverpool, Spurs, AEK and loads of other European clubs. It’s all just about enjoying the tournament and feeling like you are a part of something. It helps players develop too. 

That's exactly it. You want to experience those huge occasions.

I got ridiculed on the Rangers European thread after I said I was buzzing that we drew Dortmund. Folk were saying I should've wanted an easier draw, but that's not always the case.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I got ridiculed on the Rangers European thread after I said I was buzzing that we drew Dortmund. Folk were saying I should've wanted an easier draw, but that's not always the case.

No, good on you mate. Personally I am just glad that HMFC are a part of it again. I have a lot of good memories of tournaments in the past.

On 04/05/2022 at 01:15, Ray Patterson said:

Doubtful. The "market pool" for the Europa League is like 10x what it is for the Conference, probably getting another £1-2m in the EL to £250k in the Conference League.

Where did you see that? The prize money is only marginally less according to this: https://www.90min.com/posts/europa-league-europa-conference-league-prize-money-2021-22 

For a team who may be more competitive in the conference then you'd arguably make more money in it than if you were to lose the majority of your Europa league games.

22 hours ago, AJF said:

Agree in general, Would add that those experiences are less fun if you take an absolute hiding. 😁

The market pool income changes depending on how many Scottish teams are in that specific competition (and how many games they play in that competition).

Guesstimating based on Swiss Rambles estimates for last season:

Conference League >> 2.94 (entry fee) + 0.178 (coefficient) +0.5 (3pts in group) + 0.52 (estimated TV Pool) = €4.138m

Europa League >> 3.63 (entry fee) + 0.132 (coefficient) + 0.21 (1pt in group)
+ 3.0 or 1.325 (estimated TV pool if Rangers in CL or EL) = €6.972m or €5.297m

On 27/05/2022 at 09:52, charger29 said:

The market pool income changes depending on how many Scottish teams are in that specific competition (and how many games they play in that competition).

Guesstimating based on Swiss Rambles estimates for last season:

Conference League >> 2.94 (entry fee) + 0.178 (coefficient) +0.5 (3pts in group) + 0.52 (estimated TV Pool) = €4.138m

Europa League >> 3.63 (entry fee) + 0.132 (coefficient) + 0.21 (1pt in group)
+ 3.0 or 1.325 (estimated TV pool if Rangers in CL or EL) = €6.972m or €5.297m

You can chuck another £2m on that from four sell outs at Tynecastle.

Here are the likely teams Hearts could face (pot 3 and 4), based on the highest rated teams at clubelo.com progressing through their respective playoffs. 

Screenshot_20220531-153502_Sheets.thumb.jpg.eee43cac3f82edba96266f66cdb2806a.jpg

If Hearts lose this playoff, these are the likely ECL pots based on the same criteria. 

Screenshot_20220531-153708_Sheets.thumb.jpg.3900d82656d5352fa664b03a379a5df0.jpg

If Hearts win the playoff then they'd be in pot 4 in the EL. Here's what the pots could look like

Screenshot_20220531-154012_Sheets.thumb.jpg.c18850595118af335e51628715ec6157.jpg

From a coefficient point of view its probably better that Hearts lose the playoff and pick up a couple of results in the ECL. There are definitely teams in pot 4 that Hearts could have the measure of, and teams in pot 2 that they could trouble. 

Not my spreadsheet, but its available here -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zpt5J7mz3t-53slOYtKzijZrZYCF39aHWd7MvZu-t1U/ if anyone wants a play about. 

Edited by Coooombe

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 15:39, Coooombe said:

Here are the likely teams Hearts could face (pot 3 and 4), based on the highest rated teams at clubelo.com progressing through their respective playoffs. 

Screenshot_20220531-153502_Sheets.thumb.jpg.eee43cac3f82edba96266f66cdb2806a.jpg

If Hearts lose this playoff, these are the likely ECL pots based on the same criteria. 

Screenshot_20220531-153708_Sheets.thumb.jpg.3900d82656d5352fa664b03a379a5df0.jpg

If Hearts win the playoff then they'd be in pot 4 in the EL. Here's what the pots could look like

Screenshot_20220531-154012_Sheets.thumb.jpg.c18850595118af335e51628715ec6157.jpg

From a coefficient point of view its probably better that Hearts lose the playoff and pick up a couple of results in the ECL. There are definitely teams in pot 4 that Hearts could have the measure of, and teams in pot 2 that they could trouble. 

Not my spreadsheet, but its available here -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zpt5J7mz3t-53slOYtKzijZrZYCF39aHWd7MvZu-t1U/ if anyone wants a play about. 

Yeah lose the playoff on penalties probably best case. Hearts should at least be competitive in the ECL especially at Tyncastle. But you don't want to see a group like Villareal, West Ham, Hearts, Sivasspor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2022 at 16:52, FredFlintsone said:

Yeah lose the playoff on penalties probably best case. Hearts should at least be competitive in the ECL especially at Tyncastle. But you don't want to see a group like Villareal, West Ham, Hearts, Sivasspor.

I would always take the higher profile matches, myself. I am sure the players would every time, as well. 

Playing in these sort of games brings players on leaps and bounds. Even in defeat, the players learn a lot. 

A player’s value goes up if he has played at a higher level. I want all our players playing in a national team, and regularly in Europe. The knock on effect will improve us as a team.

On 18/06/2022 at 16:37, Kyle Reese said:

I would always take the higher profile matches, myself. I am sure the players would every time, as well. 

Playing in these sort of games brings players on leaps and bounds. Even in defeat, the players learn a lot. 

A player’s value goes up if he has played at a higher level. I want all our players playing in a national team, and regularly in Europe. The knock on effect will improve us as a team.

Fair enough but Hearts would have no chance in a group like that. They'd be lucky to get 4 points. If it was my team Id prefer a group where we'd have a realistic chance of qualifying. Play the real glamour ties in the knockout round. 

1 hour ago, FredFlintsone said:

Fair enough but Hearts would have no chance in a group like that. They'd be lucky to get 4 points. If it was my team Id prefer a group where we'd have a realistic chance of qualifying. Play the real glamour ties in the knockout round. 

I totally take the point. I get it. 👍

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update the potential opponents list given the draw for the Europa League Play Off round is coming up next week. Hearts will be drawn against one of these teams:

Priority 4

• AEK Larnaca or Partizan Belgrade.
  • Slovacko or Fenerbahce.

Priority 3

• F91 Dudelange or Malmo FF.
  • Shamrock Rovers or Shkupi.
  • Linfield or FC Zurich.
  • Olympiacos or Slovan Bratislava.
  • Maribor or HJK.

A few well known teams in there, but quite a few teams that Hearts could be competitive against.

Edited by 2426255

Pretty much confirmed to be the following, with the higher coefficient side highlighted:

Shamrock Rovers / Shkupi

Malmo / Dudelange

Linfield / Zurich

Maribor / HJK

Olympiacos / Slovan Bratislava

AEK Larnaca / Partizan

Fenerbahce / Slovacko

Malmo and Olympiacos getting pumped tonight wasn't great for us. I'd say we'd be favourites against Shamrock/Shkupi, outsiders against Malmo/Zurich/Maribor and complete no-hopers against Olympiacos/Partizan/Fenerbahce.

43 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Pretty much confirmed to be the following, with the higher coefficient side highlighted:

Shamrock Rovers / Shkupi

Malmo / Dudelange

Linfield / Zurich

Maribor / HJK

Olympiacos / Slovan Bratislava

AEK Larnaca / Partizan

Fenerbahce / Slovacko

Malmo and Olympiacos getting pumped tonight wasn't great for us. I'd say we'd be favourites against Shamrock/Shkupi, outsiders against Malmo/Zurich/Maribor and complete no-hopers against Olympiacos/Partizan/Fenerbahce.

Some tough ties there.