Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

12 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tbf all of our teams in Europe have done terribly this season mate. Hearts are the only team with a win in any of the group stages.

Our players don’t look as fit as their opponents. f**k knows what training they do - I’m assuming none of the focus on sports science that’s for sure.

I think it's a bit rich Celtic fans laughing at Hearts after their team's performances.

But it's par for the course, I suppose.

12 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

If we done significantly more training on finishing we would have topped this group with the volume of sitters we have missed 😂 Genuinely can’t remember any European campaign where we have had more chances and fucked them all. 

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

:lol:

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

RFS apparently have a market value of £7.6m and they got a point from each of their away games.

And yet lost to Hearts at home. It's a funny old game

https://tenor.com/view/its-a-funny-old-game-its-a-funny-old-game-saint-saint-and-greavsie-saint-greavsie-gif-21313740

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Folk went on and on about how shite the Dons were in Europe over the past few seasons. 

Interesting stat, from 2014-15, the Dons won 13 ties. Hearts have won 13 ties since 1976. 

ETA. Also interesting, of teams to have played 30 or more European fixtures. Our two sides with the highest win % are Dunfermline followed by Dundee. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Is that a genuine stat?

That will be league wins.

We're  W 4, D 2, L3 this season and we got a single win after the split last season (albeit while coasting in after the split with 3rd already secure and with a cup final looming)

4 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Folk went on and on about how shite the Dons were in Europe over the past few seasons. 

Interesting stat, from 2014-15, the Dons won 13 ties. Hearts have won 13 ties since 1976. 

Although when you look at the Dons wins over those years they illustrate a broader point about the relative power of the Scottish game

Aberdeen started the period of Rangers' absence being able to beat Groningen but the last team they were able to beat was from Iceland. They went from securing the tie against HNK Rijeka in the first leg by winning 3-0 away from home to losing 6-0 on aggregate against the same opponents 4 years later.

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although when you look at the Dons wins over those years they illustrate a broader point about the relative power of the Scottish game

Aberdeen started the period of Rangers' absence being able to beat Groningen but the last team they were able to beat was from Iceland. They went from securing the tie against HNK Rijeka in the first leg by winning 3-0 away from home to losing 6-0 on aggregate against the same opponents 4 years later.

Fair points. I think outside observers look at some of the teams to beat the Dons, like Qarabag, Kairat and Apollon, as utter mince, without having an appreciation of what we were up against. Apollon and Maribor hurt, Maribor mainly because the ref made a total c*** of it, Apollon because we should have had the tie done at Pittodrie. Kairat were paying Anatoly Tymoshuck absolute fortunes and Qarabag were probably the best team I saw over that 8 year spell and have qualified for the groups of something every season for the last 9 seasons. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

14 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Fair points. I think outside observers look at some of the teams to beat the Dons, like Qarabag, Kairat and Apollon, as utter mince, without having an appreciation of what we were up against. Apollon and Maribor hurt, Maribor mainly because the ref made a total c*** of it, Apollon because we should have had the tie done at Pittodrie. Kairat were paying Anatoly Tymoshuck absolute fortunes and Qarabag were probably the best team I saw over that 8 year spell and have qualified for the groups of something every season for the last 9 seasons. 

In terms of appearances to outsiders you really want to avoid drawing teams that are obscure and remote but actually rather good Qarabag and İstanbul Başakşehir are nightmare draws from that perspective.

Zurich is the one that actually stings from this campaign mainly because that was a genuine "could go either way" contest but also because if we had won it then we'd have got some grudging acknowledgement of the achievement because people know where Switzerland is. Having said that we'd also have faced Arsenal and PSV which could have got very messy indeed

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

In terms of appearances to outsiders you really want to avoid drawing teams that are obscure and remote but actually rather good Qarabag and İstanbul Başakşehir are nightmare draws from that perspective.

Zurich is the one that actually stings from this campaign mainly because that was a genuine "could go either way" contest but also because if we had won it then we'd have got some grudging acknowledgement of the achievement. Having said that we'd also have faced Arsenal and PSV which could have got very messy indeed

Didn't see much of hearts 1st leg Vs Zurich but they were miles the better team at tynecastle until the boy took a dive and got sent off. 

Aye Qarabag and Kairat were 2 ties that folk will look and go Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan and automatically think Scottish teams should be scudding them, these teams are not Irish or Welsh league nonsense. 

Over that 8 year period I genuinely don't think Aberdeen had a shocker by getting put out by any of the teams we did. Although we snuck through a couple that would've been, namely Shkendija, Fola Esch and Siroki Brijeg

21 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Or in real terms you have 1 point, -7 GD, no wins and teams have worked out that your managers limited tactical knowledge, ie. Only one way of playing, is easy to play against.

You may be right IF we had actually played one way instead of changing our system and shape against RB with a double pivot and a 10 instead of with a single pivot.

Small details I know but they matter

43 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You may be right IF we had actually played one way instead of changing our system and shape against RB with a double pivot and a 10 instead of with a single pivot.

Small details I know but they matter

Possibly. I still think a massive issue is the fitness of our teams. Yes, there are teams that are better than us tactically, but there is no excuse for not working hard enough.

That’s really poor preparation from the coaches - it’s actually a disgrace.

3 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

5 wins this season and last win of 21/22 season was 24th April.

You've always got to contextualise this stuff.

Hearts sealed third place very early last season and immediately rotated/rested for the cup final.

I'm no huge Neilson fan, but Hearts were going through the motions in the league after beating Hibs at Tynecastle.

24 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Possibly. I still think a massive issue is the fitness of our teams. Yes, there are teams that are better than us tactically, but there is no excuse for not working hard enough.

That’s really poor preparation from the coaches - it’s actually a disgrace.

Tuesday night had nothing to do with fitness and had everything to do with lack of end product and composure. Teams at this level do not squander chances they way we have been doing. Over the 4 games we have had 54 attempts at goal scoring just 2, we have conceded 46 attempts at goal and lost 9 goals. That’s the difference but this isn’t exclusive to Europe we have being doing this domestically too since ironically the Champions League started. 

40 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Tuesday night had nothing to do with fitness and had everything to do with lack of end product and composure. Teams at this level do not squander chances they way we have been doing. Over the 4 games we have had 54 attempts at goal scoring just 2, we have conceded 46 attempts at goal and lost 9 goals. That’s the difference but this isn’t exclusive to Europe we have being doing this domestically too since ironically the Champions League started. 

It’s only 2/3 through the group stage so a long way to go. Personally, I don’t think you are a good enough team to finish in the top 2 of the group but you see more of Celtic than me and I can understand why you are confident you will as they are your team.

We’ll know in a couple of weeks who was right I suppose.

Any time I see you it’s evident you lack a striker who’s anywhere near good enough for Champions League level. 

If you’d have signed Ivan Toney rather than Ajeti who knows what could have happened however you didn’t and are stuck with what you have.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn