Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

6 hours ago, Elixir said:

No matter how many clowns try to reinvent reality, Hearts narrowly losing to the Swiss Champions, who spend (considerably) more money than we do is not and never will be 'risible'.

BuT tHeY'vE sTaRtEd PoOrLy In ThE lEaGuE

It was a better opportunity than if we'd drawn some of the more difficult sides available, but not as easy as one or two of the others. Nothing more.

Such a strange guy.

losing to Zurich is certainly disappointing but, for perspective, it’s less than 18 months since we lost to Brora

5 hours ago, DC92 said:

You missed 13 Oct - 17:45 Fiorentina v Hearts. A trip I have since booked. 😎

From a competitive point of view I'd have preferred all those fixtures to be reversed so we could keep things alive longer. If we don't take 4 points in those first 2 games then we're effectively done by the middle of September.

Maximum points from the opening three games IMO. 😎

Then a wee win against the Latvians at Tynecastle Park on matchday five to see us cruising through. 😎

Edited by Elixir

15 minutes ago, FredFlintsone said:

As McGowan in todays Daily Mail pointed out Hearts were not "plucky losers". There is negligible difference in TV money between the Scottish and Swiss leagues and Hearts in fact average 3000 MORE at home matches than Zurich. No it was just another dismal home and away defeat by a Scottish clib in Europe. The fact Grant got sent off for diving and ruined the tie doesn't change anything. Just part of the game. Hearts should have won this tie.

It doesn't matter if the difference in TV money is negligible or we average a few thousand more fans than them, the fact is they are still a richer club for rather obvious reasons, and spend about two thirds more on wages than we do.

Over the two legs the tie quite literally went exactly on par for the capabilities and resources of each club. If they were a bit more slack and/or we could have found the breakthrough in the first half at Tynecastle, we could have done it, but it's neither a surprise nor is it 'risible' that we didn't.

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It doesn't matter if the difference in TV money is negligible or we average a few thousand more fans than them, the fact is they are still a richer club for rather obvious reasons, and spend about two thirds more on wages than we do.

Over the two legs the tie quite literally went exactly on par for the capabilities and resources of each club. If they were a bit more slack and/or we could have found the breakthrough in the first half at Tynecastle, we could have done it, but it's neither a surprise nor is it 'risible' that we didn't.

Losing home AND away to a club which is financially on a fairly similar level is poor. Very poor. And I wont mention the fact they are bottom of the Swiss league with 2 points from 5 matches and a goal difference of NEGATIVE 9.

23 minutes ago, FredFlintsone said:

As McGowan in todays Daily Mail pointed out Hearts were not "plucky losers". There is negligible difference in TV money between the Scottish and Swiss leagues and Hearts in fact average 3000 MORE at home matches than Zurich. No it was just another dismal home and away defeat by a Scottish clib in Europe. The fact Grant got sent off for diving and ruined the tie doesn't change anything. Just part of the game. Hearts should have won this tie.

20 minutes ago, FredFlintsone said:

What do you mean you SHOULD have been in front? I didn't see any valid goals chalked off or penalties not given. The basic idea of this game is to put the ball in the back of the net. 

What do you mean Hearts SHOULD have won this tie? I didn't see any valid goals chalked off or penalties given. The basic idea of this game is to put the ball in the net.

It's almost as if you're more than capable of understanding, but if you want an earnest answer, I meant that we should have capitalised on our first half dominance by scoring from one of the many openings we created. That we didn't is a failure, but the point is that we weren't outclassed or humiliated as you seem keen to make out.

The stuff about TV money and attendances is guff. Zurich's £13.3m wage budget is significantly bigger than ours and every team outside the Old Firm. They brought an Italian international off the bench in both games. To say we "should" be beating them is just ill-informed.

And nobody said it was a plucky performance. I said it wasn't "risible" and doesn't point to us losing to a much weaker team in RFS. It was simply a very disappointing result in a tie we could - not should - have won. It's something that happens to almost every team in every season in every competition in the world and it isn't a uniquely Scottish affliction, contrary to what the tedious "wha's like us" miserablists want to think.

5 hours ago, FredFlintsone said:

LOL such envy. I can almost taste it. Never mind pal one of these decades your team may qualify for Europe!

You qualified for Europe on a technicality for a new competition that's easier to get into. You are nothing, you are a fool and you are a waste of time. Goodnight!

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

You qualified for Europe on a technicality for a new competition that's easier to get into. You are nothing, you are a fool and you are a waste of time. Goodnight!

That “technicality” being “finishing above nine of our peers”

Worked on the assumption that Florence will be a sell out and that Riga is my best shot of a ticket with my measley amount of loyalty points .

Pity it's on a day that I definitely can't go on due to work commitments*

*And I'm not putting my hat in the ring for the annual "diddy who bunked off work and was then on the front row, caught on camera"...

5 hours ago, FredFlintsone said:

Losing home AND away to a club which is financially on a fairly similar level is poor. Very poor. And I wont mention the fact they are bottom of the Swiss league with 2 points from 5 matches and a goal difference of NEGATIVE 9.

We lost a late goal in the home leg when desperately trying to keep the tie alive with ten men. Not at all surprising. In no way are we financially 'fairly similar' to Zurich. As noted, their most recently published wage bill is £13.1m. Our most recent (Premiership) equivalent figure is £8.7m. That is a quite substantial difference.

Liverpool were kicking about the bottom of the Premier League with two points after three matches before today. So what? Early season league form is not a reflection of a teams capabilities in Europe. It never has been. They were the best team in Switzerland last season by a distance ahead of Basel and Young Boys - Champions League regulars over the years. Basel are also only a point above Zurich in the league so far this season, but I wouldn't be expecting to be beating them either (again amirite).

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

To be fair Hibs did beat Andorran giants Saint Coloma last year. And the year before it was the Faroese behemoth Runavik they beat. And they beat Asteras Tripolis a Greek team. Apart from that Hibs just lose in Europe. That's what they do. Their record is truly desperate. You have to go all the way back to 1989 to when they beat a side of note. Even then that was Videoton from Hungary. Honestly there's an argument for banning Hibs from European competition all together given the damage they do to the national coefficient!

12 hours ago, DC92 said:

It's almost as if you're more than capable of understanding, but if you want an earnest answer, I meant that we should have capitalised on our first half dominance by scoring from one of the many openings we created. That we didn't is a failure, but the point is that we weren't outclassed or humiliated as you seem keen to make out.

What I meant to say is it was predictable Hearts would lose both legs. And they didn't disappoint. 

And there is no such thing as SHOULD in football. If  team A has 95% of the play, 50 shots, hits the bar 10 times and the post 10 times and team B has one shot and scores. Who deserves to win? Well it's team B because the idea of the game is not to hit the post or the crossbar.

Mail on Sunday today describe FC Zurich as a "two-bob" outfit who couldn't even play their home leg in their own ground.

They finish with..."Everyone understands Scotland's financial limitations, but watching our bigger sides- proper, storied clubs with proper fanbases-lose out time and again to tinpot outfits is becoming soul destroying".

Well said.

45 minutes ago, FredFlintsone said:

Mail on Sunday today describe FC Zurich as a "two-bob" outfit who couldn't even play their home leg in their own ground.

They finish with..."Everyone understands Scotland's financial limitations, but watching our bigger sides- proper, storied clubs with proper fanbases-lose out time and again to tinpot outfits is becoming soul destroying".

Well said.

What did they have to say about Celtic playing ties at Murrayfield?

and with 13 league title wins and 2 European cup semifinal runs it seems churlish to begrudge them “Proper storied club” status

the mail on Sunday seems to be confusing ‘small’ with ‘far away’

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, FredFlintsone said:

What I meant to say is it was predictable Hearts would lose both legs. And they didn't disappoint. 

And there is no such thing as SHOULD in football. If  team A has 95% of the play, 50 shots, hits the bar 10 times and the post 10 times and team B has one shot and scores. Who deserves to win? Well it's team B because the idea of the game is not to hit the post or the crossbar.

I said nothing about deserving to win. 

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

What did they have to say about Celtic playing ties at Murrayfield?

Also somewhat ironic given the number of times we've played away from Tynecastle in the last 20 years. And remember when the national team moved a qualifier to Parkhead to make way for Robbie Williams at Hampden?

I'm surprised to see the Mail on Sunday display that level of ignorance and hypocrisy towards foreigners.

1 hour ago, FredFlintsone said:

Well said.

Well the mail on Sunday are absolute morons. They had Italy 's youngest ever goalscorer on the bench, guys with dozens of international caps and were Swiss Champions. 

Absolutely nothing two bob about them and it's an incredibly weird take. Even weirder to agree with it.

18 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Well the mail on Sunday are absolute morons. They had Italy 's youngest ever goalscorer on the bench, guys with dozens of international caps and were Swiss Champions. 

Absolutely nothing two bob about them and it's an incredibly weird take. Even weirder to agree with it.

Yep.

Especially from a gonk who can't even spell a cartoon character's name correctly.