Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

15 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Honestly, when will some people learn.

Zurich very much have the advantage and it will only take 1 goal from them to kill the game. There is absolutely no point in getting excited for Hearts yet. I fully expect another Scottish let down next week, maybe a first half Zurich goal to make it 3-1 and leave Hearts chasing the game. I won’t be surprised if Hearts indulge in a bit of shite defending and concede a cheap goal. They shite it on the big occasion and play negative football. Another miserable result for a Scottish diddy side. I want to be wrong though. I want Hearts to come out to a cauldron of noise and make the Tynecastle advantage count. I want them to become the first diddy team since Aberdeen in 2008 to get to the group stage. I’m just not getting my hopes up about it.

Even if they don't win they've still got group football and apart from a poor ten minute spell Hearts looked pretty good.

Tynecastle can be a tough ground to play at when the Jambos are up for it.

47 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Honestly, when will some people learn.

Zurich very much have the advantage and it will only take 1 goal from them to kill the game. There is absolutely no point in getting excited for Hearts yet. I fully expect another Scottish let down next week, maybe a first half Zurich goal to make it 3-1 and leave Hearts chasing the game. I won’t be surprised if Hearts indulge in a bit of shite defending and concede a cheap goal. They shite it on the big occasion and play negative football. Another miserable result for a Scottish diddy side. I want to be wrong though. I want Hearts to come out to a cauldron of noise and make the Tynecastle advantage count. I want them to become the first diddy team since Aberdeen in 2008 to get to the group stage. I’m just not getting my hopes up about it.

1 goal from FCZ does not kill the game in the slightest. 

Slaver.

Halkett injury clearly shook us, he is our best centre half and a leader. We played well in spells, and looked ropey at other points but overall it's hard to be too despondent.

As much as it's easy to say Zurich looked shite, they were clearly a technically decent team when attacking. Going away to the Swiss Champions is never going to be a gimme for any Scottish team outside the OF. 

I am however a bit frustrated that we had about 3 or 4 who froze. Hopefully that isn't the case at Tynie now we know what we need to do.

Will be a hard task but as said elsewhere,  bin the 3 at the back and get in and actually pressure them and we can win. We never done it enough, but when we put them under pressure they looked very average, much easier to do that at home.

58 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The final was Roma v Feyenoord last season, with Leicester and Marseille turfed out in the semi's.

The bigger teams come into the competition after the group stages when you get the drop outs from the Europa League.

Did well to not lose the heads after a mad couple of minutes. Conditions were a bit wild as well. Leaves us with a decent chance of progressing.

Please never play Toby Sibbick at centre half again. He has zero awareness of what's going on around him. A total bombscare in that position.

Edited by Darren

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

Did well to not lose the heads after a mad couple of minutes. Conditions were a bit wild as well. Leaves us with a decent chance of progressing.

Please never play Toby Sibbick at centre half again. He has zero awareness of what's going on around him. A total bombscare in that position.

He done some stuff really well, mainly when he doesn't have time to think. But he also has moments where you wonder what's going on.

Think the whole defence could benefit from signing a proper leader though, someone to talk others through games. Was really evident we lack that once Halkett went off.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Haring was surprisingly shite tonight but there's no way I'd be subbing in Halliday. :lol:

Other than that, I agree.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Fucking Halliday?  No

Admittedly, I just have hopes of him pulling out a performance like when he bodied Hibs in the last derby at Tynecastle. Neilson will go with Haring again anyway.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Of course but not at Europa League/UEFA Cup level.

We were the first non Old Firm club to qualify for that (technically the first from these islands, in fact), so might as well also be the first non Old Firm club to qualify for the Conference League as well. 😎

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The bigger teams come into the competition after the group stages when you get the drop outs from the Europa League.

The finalists certainly didn't...

Edited by Elixir

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Yeah, but the really big teams come down from the Europa League.

There's not much between the Pot 1 and 2 clubs in the Conference League and those in Pot 3 in the Europa League. Obviously, it won't strictly play out per seeding. Celtic dropped down and got leathered by that random Norwegian mob.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

There's not much between the Pot 1 and 2 clubs in the Conference League and those in Pot 3 in the Europa League. Obviously, it won't strictly play out per seeding. Celtic dropped down and got leathered by that random Norwegian mob.

I was being a tad facetious.

17 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

He done some stuff really well, mainly when he doesn't have time to think. But he also has moments where you wonder what's going on.

He has the raw attributes and did some stuff well tonight.

However, he also has no fucking clue what's going on around him.

It's suicide playing him at centre half. He was very lucky that Zurich didn't take one gilt-edged chance in the second half, because it was entirely his fault for completely losing his man.

16 minutes ago, Darren said:

He has the raw attributes and did some stuff well tonight.

However, he also has no fucking clue what's going on around him.

It's suicide playing him at centre half. He was very lucky that Zurich didn't take one gilt-edged chance in the second half, because it was entirely his fault for completely losing his man.

Yep agree with all of that. The volley at the back post when he basically just stopped was nuts.

I just heard Robbie Replay interview on the radio, talking about the "20000 hearts fans" at tynecastle next week.

I confess, I must have missed the redevelopment work starting to expand the capacity of the stadium, but well done on getting this work all completed during the closed season. 👏