Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

This is an absolutely massive game for us, and while we have a good chance I don't think we should be underestimating how big a scalp it'd be to knock the current Swiss Champions out over 2 legs.

As defeatist as it sounds, even a narrow defeat would probably be a decent enough result if we can get it back to Tynie with the tie alive.

Unlikely to bring anyone else in for this according to Neilson. That's disappointing as I think we're still a couple of players light and lack pace at both ends.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Haring

Forrest Grant McKay

Shankland

13 hours ago, DC92 said:

Unlikely to bring anyone else in for this according to Neilson. That's disappointing as I think we're still a couple of players light and lack pace at both ends.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Haring

Forrest Grant McKay

Shankland

I'd be tempted to play Boyce rather than Grant. I think Grant has only really had 20 minutes of playing well the last 2 games and Boyce is good in the air and at drawing fouls etc. Also expect it to be a less hectic pace, so he'll get more time on the ball. 

Would be fine if Grant started like, just personal preference as I think we'll need someone to hold it up a bit if we are playing deeper which Robbie almost certainly will.

As usual, I don't expect much, but I keep hearing that we're guaranteed European football until Decemberish, and I'd rather we didn't make c***s of ourselves too often.

I suspect we'll likely be behind the ball for most of the game in Zurich:

Gordon

Smith - Halkett - Kingsley - Rowles - Cochrane

Forest -Haring - Devlin - McKay

Shankland

...would be the line-up based on form, Grant notwithstanding, but Haring is more of a defensive midfielder, and we'll likely have to make the most of our subs. 

A draw would be a great result, if we could swing it. 

This is a completely pressure free tie for Hearts, with the fact you drop into the Conference if you lose the tie.

In many ways, it may be in your interests to do so - as the Europa groups will be significantly tougher (albeit more financially rewarding).

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

This is a completely pressure free tie for Hearts, with the fact you drop into the Conference if you lose the tie.

In many ways, it may be in your interests to do so - as the Europa groups will be significantly tougher (albeit more financially rewarding).

I don't think there is that a big difference in finances between Europa and Conference. 

Hearts are more likely to get more points in the conference than the Europa so might even work out more lucrative.

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is the home leg sold out? Had a look and it doesn’t say it’s sold out online but when you click to buy it just shows zero results.

Season ticket holders only until saturday, if any tickets are left they'll go on general sale.

18 minutes ago, G51 said:

Why are so many Jambos shiteing themselves ahead of this tie? The Swiss are soft as f**k, you’ll batter them.

Tbf, is their wage bill not like two thirds more than ours? They also have a couple of very good players, and lots of internationalists. That said, given their dreadful start to their domestic campaign, at times unconvincing performances against Linfield, and their 'home' tie essentially being played at a neutral venue, it does seem somewhat 50-50. If we can get out of dodge with any sort of positive result on Thursday - at worst a single-goal defeat - then I will be pretty disappointed if we don't do them at what will be a rocking Tynecastle in the return leg.

Not having the argument that getting into the conference is in our benefit. I get where it is coming from, but the Europa is far more attractive, offers more money and the TV pot is much bigger. However, money isn't a fans concern anyway. You don't dream of watching your club get an extra few hundred grand, you dream of watching them on  the biggest stage and playing the biggest teams.

If we beat Zurich, we can potentially have trips away to Rome, London, Manchester etc. That's what I want personally.

Edited by Tony Wonder

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Not having the argument that getting into the conference is in our benefit. I get where it is coming from, but the Europa is far more attractive, offers more money and the TV pot is much bigger. However, money isn't a fans concern anyway. You don't dream of watching your club get an extra few hundred grand, you dream of watching them on  the biggest stage and playing the biggest teams.

If we beat Zurich, we can potentially have trips away to Tome, London, Manchester etc. That's what I want personally.

Could attract better players to come and play before the WC too. 

10 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'd be tempted to play Boyce rather than Grant. I think Grant has only really had 20 minutes of playing well the last 2 games and Boyce is good in the air and at drawing fouls etc. Also expect it to be a less hectic pace, so he'll get more time on the ball. 

Would be fine if Grant started like, just personal preference as I think we'll need someone to hold it up a bit if we are playing deeper which Robbie almost certainly will.

You could be right about Boyce, and starting him might help to prevent Shankland being isolated. My thinking was that Grant's composure will be useful in a game like this while Boyce would be a good option to freshen up the attack later on.

I'm also a bit meh on Grant and Forrest so far. Both look like they have something to offer but they won't be first picks when the squad is complete ideally.

Looking at the XI, I think our issue is still that if you stop McKay then you stop us as a creative force. Celtic and Rangers have been successful at doing that, other Premiership teams haven't. I'm expecting Zurich to be somewhere in between.