Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

There were worse potential draws, but they won the Swiss league easily last season and will be pretty firm favourites I'd imagine.

The great thing about this is, unless Linfield somehow get through and beat us, there's very little downside to losing here. Arguably the ECL groups could be more fun and more lucrative.

56 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Could've been a lot worse, but getting the Swiss Champions is still a tie we'll be firmly underdogs in. 

On this seasons form I would have Hearts as favourites. Lost their coach, top scorer and arguably their best midfielder, with the players leaving on Bosmans and their replacements looking decidedly shit.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Good that I'll be able to get a Toblerone in the airport since we're in Switzerland

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You can get Toblerone at any airport which leads me to think that Human aviation is impossible without them

You can get them in Tesco an aw.

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

On this seasons form I would have Hearts as favourites. Lost their coach, top scorer and arguably their best midfielder, with the players leaving on Bosmans and their replacements looking decidedly shit.

That's encouraging, but we've lost Souttar and Simms without signing similar replacements (yet) and we'll be missing Baningime and possibly Kingsley too. Repeat the starting XI and performance from Saturday and I'm confident we'd get soundly humped.

Hopefully we're planning to splash some more of that Europa cash before the deadline.

Edited by DC92

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

That's encouraging, but we've lost Souttar and Simms without signing similar replacements (yet) and we'll be missing Baningime and possibly Kingsley too. Repeat the starting XI and performance from Saturday and I'm confident we'd get soundly humped.

Hopefully we're planning to splash some more of that Europa cash before the deadline.

Right now there is definitely nothing to fear from FCZ. They still have a few players who will be worth watching(Gnonto and Marchesano are always good for something and if Dzemaili is fit he will be the best player on the park) but they really do look nothing like the team that won the league quite easily last season. It wouldn’t be a surprise at this point if they struggle against Linfield.

20 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

these people are apparently booked to play Zurich’s stadium the day after the first leg so if Zurich beat Linfield we’ll be playing them an hour down the road at St Gallen near the Lichtenstein border 

Just pretend that Kybun is Easter Road and you’ll get a result no bother. I’d be grateful for the game being moved to be honest. Letzigrund is a fucking terrible place to watch football.

25 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

What a night this was. Fucking freezing, but absolutely brilliant.

I can still see the ball going through the keeper and up into the net from our spot up in the corner.

Very happy memories.

Won't be freezing this time!

On 02/08/2022 at 20:01, Ross. said:

Right now there is definitely nothing to fear from FCZ. They still have a few players who will be worth watching(Gnonto and Marchesano are always good for something and if Dzemaili is fit he will be the best player on the park) but they really do look nothing like the team that won the league quite easily last season. It wouldn’t be a surprise at this point if they struggle against Linfield.

I doubted you, but I had one eye on the Linfield v Zurich game tonight and they did look pretty ordinary. Linfield were unfortunate not to get a goal or two of their own, although Gnonto does look more than useful.

I now look forward to celebrating a stuffy 0-0 away and then getting turned over 2-0 at home .

8 hours ago, DC92 said:

I doubted you, but I had one eye on the Linfield v Zurich game tonight and they did look pretty ordinary. Linfield were unfortunate not to get a goal or two of their own, although Gnonto does look more than useful.

I now look forward to celebrating a stuffy 0-0 away and then getting turned over 2-0 at home .

I watched the first half before going to bed. Was pretty much what o expected. For all FCZ are clearly on another level from Linfield technically, they looked like conceding any time Linfield put it in the box. Had one of the few first half chances went in, I wouldn’t have been surprised if Linfield had ended up winning.

Mostly I’m happy that Marchesano set up the opener and Gnonto scored the second. It keeps up the facade that I have half an idea of what I’m talking about football wise…

2 hours ago, Duffy_ said:

Interesting Twitter thread on the financial benefits of Europa League/Conference League group stages.  

TL;DR: we're loaded.  

getting a modest 4 points in the Conference league would pay out about the same as qualifying for the  Europa league playing against tougher opposition and getting zero

if you’re feeling more optimistic then you can substitute 9 points and 5 points and it still works 

as safety nets go we couldn’t ask for much better