Kilmarnock v Arbroath, 22.04.22

Kilmarnock up, Dundee down is really the best possible outcome for both divisions IMO. We wouldn't even have had to wait a year for it to happen had we not been so criminally mismanaged last season but c'est la vie.

Thank you.

A less tolerant mod would do the same for your whingeing too.
Come on, your team is just about to complete one of its most successful and enjoyable seasons in many years, be happy, and good luck in the playoffs.

I’m not whingeing. This is a chat forum where fans express opinions.

A story of two halfs.

Arbroath players have been totally brilliant all season and they all gave 100% last night.

Unfortunatly, I think we sat back too much trying to defend a 0-1 lead - we were inviting Killie to pile on wave upon wave of attack and eventually they broke through Arbroath's defence ( who were all absolutely outstanding).

The winning goal in the 90th min was a real sickner - but I felt it was coming - it's a big ask expecting to defend a 0-1 lead for 45 mins.

Very proud of all the players, they came so close to creating something very special and battled for every ball - they gave everything they had.

Now to regroup and focus on the play offs - another opportunity to make history awaits.

4 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Prior to the  first Kilmarnock goal the Arbroath keeper made a poor clearance, had he made a better fist of it that might not have been scored, 

Aye, said at the time he should have caught the cross.

For all their pressure in the 2nd half Kilmarnock rarely looked like scoring, but always felt if they scored one they'd get a second, and so it proved.

Arbroath probably defended well enough over the piece to deserve to take it to the last day, but, at the same time, their second half tactic of "give Kilmarnock 45 minutes to score" mean that they can't really complain that they didn't.

2 hours ago, ecto said:

Appears it's only taken 34.5 games, for someone to work us out, doesn't say a lot about the rest of the league

This is so true. It's only when Killie actually went toe to toe that their full time status started to show in terms of fitness. Possibly we all overestimated the fitness levels of the Arbroath squad due to the hybrid nature of their personnel and recruitment, and should have been running them into the ground all season rather than attempting to beat them with a possession-based game. Maybe now that their Achilles heel has been found, the play offs will be a bridge too far for them. Can see Thistle lapping them by about the 75th minute.

Still on cloud nine after that. Absolutely delighted to have got the title over the line, especially in the most dramatic circumstances possible. Going into work yesterday morning with a big smile on my face and a slightly sore head... you can't beat that feeling. Given our recent history of mainly being rubbish on the TV on Friday nights and also disappointing big crowds, I was sure we'd be disappointing the 8,000 or so Killie fans in the place after the early Lichties goal. We were absolutely nowhere in the first half and Arbroath deserved their lead fully at half time - in the second half it was like watching a totally different team who actually wanted to win the game, but I feared up until Burke came on that it'd all be for nothing. As soon as we got the equaliser, I could feel the winner coming and in the end a mixture of Killie's class combined with Arbroath being dead on their feet (plus Gaston's groin issues) saw the winner come, and the scenes will live with me for the rest of my days. Not the fairytale ending that many neutrals wanted, but as a Killie fan I was absolutely ecstatic to turn it around and get the title over the line. There's a lot of work to be done over the summer and plenty of rebuilding, but for now that can wait. Another day of celebrations before looking ahead to Friday night will do me grand.

I'd like to take a moment to give Arbroath and their fans massive credit - in my role at the club I deal with away fans normally and absolutely every Lichtie I spoke to was brand new. Plenty of patter and smiles before the game started, and you were a credit to your club and your town. Had it been any other year and/or any other team I'd have been supporting you all the way, but when it's your own team then selfishness trumps the possibility of a footballing miracle. I'd like to wish all the Lichties good luck for the remainder of the season in the playoffs because it would make me very happy to see Gayfield hosting Premiership football next season. For the remainder of the season, I'm a Lichties fan and no matter what happens, I hope that our teams will meet again soon (I'm also yet to try some smokies and I'm sure I'd enjoy them very much).

It still hasn't sunk in that we have one more game to go before the end, probably due to the trophy presentation. Can't make it to Rovers away because of work, but I'll be keeping up with it however I can. It's been a very mixed season for Killie with some great victories and really depressing defeats, but somehow we've managed to see it over the line. Here's to being back in the big time, seeing pies in the Premiership and also returning to living rent-free in the heads of OF fans who have an irrationally deep-rooted hatred of artificial surfaces. The rebuild will hopefully happen, but for the remainder of this weekend it's all about savouring the moment.

19 hours ago, ecto said:

Appears it's only taken 34.5 games, for someone to work us out, doesn't say a lot about the rest of the league

Wot. We shat all over you a month ago in what was one of our easiest wins of the season.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Wot. We shat all over you a month ago in what was one of our easiest wins of the season.

Still took most of the season, but fair play that it's the highlight of you're season

1 minute ago, ecto said:

Still took most of the season, but fair play that it's the highlight of you're season

Our highlight is probably still yet to come brother. 

7 from 12 against you suggests we’ve worked Arbroath out fairly well IMO. A daft comment to make.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Our highlight is probably still yet to come brother. 

7 from 12 against you suggests we’ve worked Arbroath out fairly well IMO. A daft comment to make.

No doubt we will find out, brother

One other thing - being a Killie fan right now has been very good preparation ahead of Scotland v Ukraine in June. For once, Scotland will be the baddies and everyone will be against us. If we get a repeat of that in the first week of June I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

25 minutes ago, 9queens said:

Grudging well done to Killie. They showed character on Friday to grind out the win.

I'm sure they'll be fine next season if they strengthen the team a bit.

Love you x 

2 hours ago, 9queens said:

Grudging well done to Killie. They showed character on Friday to grind out the win.

I'm sure they'll be fine next season if they strengthen the team a bit.

I think it will need to be more than a bit.   I would say we need at least 8 players of far higher quality.  

We got there in the end - just but overall it's been a very poor season.  I'll take that though for the feeling when we scored the winner in the last minute.  

Was great seeing us finally win a league win the flesh with my 85 year old father.