Kilmarnock v Arbroath, 22.04.22

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be honest with you they’ve already made history taking it this far there’ll not be another team that do this in my lifetime and potentially ever again. Dick will have us loose and ready to go. 

Wonder who’s turn it’ll be to sing the gambler this time 

Therein lies the conundrum. Arbroath haven't made history. They haven't achieved anything yet. To make history, they've got to win the league or win the playoffs. 

Edited by funky monkey

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be honest with you they’ve already made history taking it this far there’ll not be another team that do this in my lifetime and potentially ever again. Dick will have us loose and ready to go. 

Wonder who’s turn it’ll be to sing the gambler this time 

I wouldn’t say history has already been made. No one remembers runners up (unless you go up via the play offs, obvs). 
The pressure will be different for both teams, but both sets of players and fans will be nervous. 

3 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Surely the pressure for Arbroath is that this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for the club and this group of players to win the league and play in the Premiership?

I appreciate this wasn’t expected by Arbroath fans pre season and what you’ve done is fantastic and off the park you’ll be in a strong place no matter what happens but on the park you’re absolutely in a position to make history and surely there would be a massive feeling of ‘what might have been’ if you fall short, knowing that you’ll probably never get as good a chance again? That’s certainly how I feel about our unexpected title challenge in 2010/2011.

Yeah there’ll be some but there’ll be pressure on every game. Like Saturday past for example. You could say there was Big pressure to win that one and especially when we went 1-0 down but it’s a different thing for us, if we lost Saturday we’d all still be delighted with the season we’ve had and the position we would be in 

If roles reversed Killie would be fkn gutted to have to go into the play offs 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Just now, Fide said:

I wouldn’t say history has already been made. No one remembers runners up (unless you go up via the play offs, obvs). 
The pressure will be different for both teams, but both sets of players and fans will be nervous. 

Well I can speak for everyone when I say all the Arbroath fans will remember this team And their day out in Kilmarnock regardless of what happens from here 

Well I can speak for everyone when I say all the Arbroath fans will remember this team And their day out in Kilmarnock regardless of what happens from here 

Depends if ye win. If ye do I expect most Arbroath fans to have very little memory of the day and a hangover in the morning

I don’t think Arbroath fc and fans are under much pressure really - more anticipation, excitement and daring to believe we could do this.

Pretty much every single Arbroath fan would have bitten your hand off for a comfortable 8th place finish this season so even a playoff is superb. Even though I’ll be disappointed initially if we lose on Friday and even ultimately fail to gain promotion, I’ll still be over the moon at the season we’ve had.

Saturday’s game v Queens was probably the most relaxed I’ve been at an Arbroath game for years. We’ve already achieved more this season than we could have imagined.

I’ve said this before but the pressure of this game is zero compared to 6 seasons ago when we were a couple of defeats away from possibly going into the Highland League. Cowdenbeath - now there’s real pressure.

Edited by Tattie36

Such a momentous occasion for Arbroath. I’m trying to imagine what it must feel like for their fans. With no disrespect these are supporters who are used to watching games in wee stadiums with low crowds. Now they will be heading to Rugby Park, one of the biggest grounds in Scottish football to watch their team play in front of 10,000+ fans with the prize of Premiership football at stake. It doesn’t really get any bigger Thant his for them. No matter the result it will be an unforgettable night for Arbroath supporters.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

Such a momentous occasion for Arbroath. I’m trying to imagine what it must feel like for their fans. With no disrespect these are supporters who are used to watching games in wee stadiums with low crowds. Now they will be heading to Rugby Park, one of the biggest grounds in Scottish football to watch their team play in front of 10,000+ fans with the prize of Premiership football at stake. It doesn’t really get any bigger Thant his for them. No matter the result it will be an unforgettable night for Arbroath supporters.

We have a young team that go every week. Only 15/16. They do not even know the horrors myself and others have endured and only know Gayfield with good crowds and good teams on the park 

29 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I don’t think there is any pressure on us. 

Of course there is, there are millions of pounds and a chance of lifetime at stake for your club.

So to suggest that Arbroath are not under much pressure is nonsense.

Edited by C4mmy31

We have a young team that go every week. Only 15/16. They do not even know the horrors myself and others have endured and only know Gayfield with good crowds and good teams on the park 

Myself and many other Killie fans remember only too well playing in the old second division and cold, rainy away days in places like Stenhousemuir. 
it’s not always been glitz, glamour and showbiz as a Killie fan. 😀

Just now, C4mmy31 said:

Of course there is, there are millions of pounds and a chance of lifetime at stake for your club.

There’s an opportunity there for that but it’s not at stake. The definition of at stake is as below 

If something is at stake, it is being risked and might be lost or damaged if you are not successful.

Does not apply to us. Free hit. Everything to gain nothing to lose

5 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

So to suggest that Arbroath are not under much pressure is nonsense.

Absolutely no chance you'd be saying this if they weren't playing Killie.

It's a free hit for Arbroath - nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain.

Edit - Just to make clear, I expect Killie will win quite comfortably on the night.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah there’ll be some but there’ll be pressure on every game. Like Saturday past for example. You could say there was Big pressure to win that one and especially when we went 1-0 down but it’s a different thing for us, if we lost Saturday we’d all still be delighted with the season we’ve had and the position we would be in 

If roles reversed Killie would be fkn gutted to have to go into the play offs 

Yeah that’s fair and would agree on Saturday. 1-0 down to an early goal knowing what was at stake with a win was a big test of nerves and character but was passed easily. 

Ach yer baws there is no pressure on Arbroath. It is a huge game for both sides and if the Lichties don't feel any pressure then their players are underestimating the importance of what they could achieve. Which I don't believe to be the case. 

As much as Friday night was a disappointing result for Killie and the fact that we haven't beaten Arbroath so far this season, I still feel like we will get the job done. Our home form of recent has been pretty good, and after saying we are pish for 75% of the season I feel like we have finally gotten our act together. In the same period, Arbroath have somewhat lost a bit of form, albeit their 5-1 demolition of Queens at the weekend did put the fear into me.

If we do indeed win, then I along with probably every Killie fan, will be hoping the Lichties win the play offs. 

Bring it on.

Edited by BornOffside

36 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Surely the pressure for Arbroath is that this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for the club and this group of players to win the league and play in the Premiership?

I appreciate this wasn’t expected by Arbroath fans pre season and what you’ve done is fantastic and off the park you’ll be in a strong place no matter what happens but on the park you’re absolutely in a position to make history and surely there would be a massive feeling of ‘what might have been’ if you fall short, knowing that you’ll probably never get as good a chance again? That’s certainly how I feel about our unexpected title challenge in 2010/2011.

It is aye. If we don't go up, we'll probably be favourites again next season. This could be Arbroath's only chance in a generation.

With Arbroath, the pressure is merely the opportunity they have given themselves, something they had little (if any) actual plan for prior to this great season. They'll get all the credit if they pull off winning the title/play-offs, and even if they don't manage it.

With Kilmarnock, the pressure is expectation. They'll not get near the same credit for winning the league or getting promotion, as they have the most resources of any team in the league.

I know which pressure I'd rather have.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I know DC likes to band on about not thinking about promotion and survival was the aim but to be within 2 games of potentially winning the league I'd be very surprised if he and the players wouldn't be seek as parrots if they stumbled at the final hurdle. I'm sure there'll be a few Arbroath fans that would feel the same irrespective of their hybrid/PT status. If you're there or there abouts at this stage it would be a serious kick in the stanes to miss out. I mind us losing out on the League 1 title on the last day of the season and mentally the players never recovered going into the playoffs, could well hit Arbroath if they don't win it overall. Game to finish a draw and Killie to get an easy 3 points against us the following week.