Kilmarnock v Arbroath, 22.04.22

Made the mistake of having a look at KillieKickback to see what Kilmarnock fans are saying about Fridays game - supposedly Arbroath fans are all “Basically plastic old firm fans clinging onto the glory of their home town team.” 🤪

Why do some folk have to bring Rangers and Celtic into everything? Can’t they understand that it’s possible for supporters of smaller teams to not give a f*ck about them or any of the other “big” teams in Scotland. If I had a pound for every time I’ve been asked the dreaded “aye, but who’s you big team?” pish.

Edited by Tattie36

It's probably basically true though, that and United/Dundee fans. Just like any club gets local "neutrals" and casual supporters coming along for a big game. I'm sure there will be local Old Firm supporters in our end too.

11 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Made the mistake of having a look at KillieKickback to see what Kilmarnock fans are saying about Fridays game - supposedly Arbroath fans are all “Basically plastic old firm fans clinging onto the glory of their home town team.” 🤪

I’m sure that’s probably true, to an extent. 

19 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

The big yin. Potential league decider. Killie win and we've won the league.

Arbroath draw and it goes to the last game.

Arbroath win and we're relying on a slip up.

I'm well aware that fans of every other team in Scotland will be piling in here wishing the Lichties well, which I'd absolutely be doing in the same position! I really hope we win the league but they come up via the playoff...

Last night was always going to be a big banana skin for us as we have struggled vs the top half teams and not been great on the road. 

Got to stay optimistic and look at the fact that we've been putting in some great results at home lately, and put in our performance of the season in our last game at Rugby Park, where big Kyle seems to really come to life. 

As others have said, if we can't beat part-time Arbroath at home to win the Championship, we don't deserve to get out of the diddy league. 

Every team has said that this season about Arbroath and yet they have only lost 4 times. 

Of course there will be a small number like that (at every club/game) but you guys actually think that a significant % of Arbroath/small team fans are actually just supporters of other clubs going along for a laugh while their “big team” play elsewhere?

I’ve had many an argument here in Aberdeen with folk with that way of thinking including one guy who was adamant that Aberdeen winning a trophy/title was a bigger deal and more important than if Arbroath did the same - maybe it is for you mate but not for me.

Edited by Tattie36

9 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Every team has said that this season about Arbroath and yet they have only lost 4 times. 

Of course. It's to be applauded that they've done so well playing part time football. But do you disagree that Kilmarnock, with our budget etc, deserve to be stuck in the diddy league if they can't fashion a home win against a much smaller club whose players are part time?

1 minute ago, deadasdillinger said:

Of course. It's to be applauded that they've done so well playing part time football. But do you disagree that Kilmarnock, with our budget etc, deserve to be stuck in the diddy league if they can't fashion a home win against a much smaller club whose players are part time?

You’d better not let Fud hear you say that.

42 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

so when killie got to the cup final i would guess they maybe took 20000 fans,mainly old firm ones supporting their home town team

Current Arbroath team has changed a generation and not just this year over the last 3/4. Towns bought into the club, it’s actually so impressive at how much support the clubs got from the town. 2500 home fans yesterday. In the pub talking to people. The mood has shifted. You get hooked on Gayfield it’s a great place to watch football 

over 1k Sold now lets fucking go

I’m looking forward to seeing this potential league title decider. I’m assuming it’ll probably be a tight game, more so with the stakes so high. I watched the two previous Friday night games against Killie and they were both tight games which ended 0-0 and 1-0 win for Arbroath. From memory Arbroath also won 1-0 at Killie.

I’ll go for a draw and the title race to go to the final game? 

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Current Arbroath team has changed a generation and not just this year over the last 3/4. Towns bought into the club, it’s actually so impressive at how much support the clubs got from the town. 2500 home fans yesterday. In the pub talking to people. The mood has shifted. You get hooked on Gayfield it’s a great place to watch football 

Mind you, a minority of us more seasoned supporters harbour a slight nostalgia for years/decades of fairly dismal lower league games when there was no challenge to find a comfortable viewing spot anywhere on the terraces.  It was great yesterday to be able to revert to the customary migration and watch the game from behind the opposition goals in both halves.  
Anyway, it’s been an unimaginably positive season, far exceeding expectations - and, as a lifelong Lichtie, I have been thoroughly schooled in expectation management..  Even this crucial Friday game is an occasion to savour, regardless of the outcome.  I just hope the away support are vocal throughout - that is seldom the case.

Edited by farflung lichtie
Typographic

If the BBC and SPFL aren’t hyping the living daylights out of this game all week, then they’re not doing their job. Should be farting out wall to wall content.

Like everyone who isn’t a Killie fan, I want Arbroath to do it. What an occasion, though. Scottish football doesn’t do anywhere near enough to talk itself up. This has absolutely everything as a spectacle. I’m buzzing to watch it and I’m not even involved.

I am glad it has come down to us and Arbroath. If we end up not winning the league it's better that it's a new face in the top flight rather than us finishing runners-up to Inverness or Partick Thistle or whoever. Hopefully we put them in their place though.

We’ve had over 2,000 home Fans pretty regularly over the last few months so whilst there is maybe a bit of glory hunting as we’re doing so well, there’s not much weight to the “local old firm fans bandwagon” thing. 

Also think that the work we have been doing off the park in the local community is as big a reason for increased crowds as the teams performance. 

If we start next season in the championship and say our first fixture was cove at home it wilL be interesting to see what the crowd is. 

21 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Mind you, a minority of us more seasoned supporters harbour a slight nostalgia for years/decades of fairly dismal lower league games when there was no challenge to find a comfortable viewing spot anywhere on the terraces.  It was great yesterday to be able to revert to the customary migration and watch the game from behind the opposition goals in both halves.  
Anyway, it’s been an unimaginably positive season, far exceeding expectations - and, as a life.big Lichtie, I have been thoroughly schooled in expectation management..  Even this crucial Friday game is on occasion to savour, regardless of the outcome.  I just hope the away support are vocal throughout - that is seldom the case.

Aye, but who’s your big team?

1 hour ago, deadasdillinger said:

If you don’t collect enough points you don’t deserve to get out the league. It’s not the game against Arbroath to blame, it’s all the other games that you haven’t won. Too bad you think it’s a diddy league.