Stenhousemuir v Albion

Feel that this is our best chance to squeeze into 4th. At home against a team with nothing to play for, who lost 5-0 last week, while Edinburgh are at Cowdenbeath who do have something to play for, and on that pitch.

Looks like Orr will be back which is good - Thomson has really looked out of sorts playing as a sole striker. And Urminsky back in nets. One goal might be enough to win this one which is good because we are unlikely to score many more than that.

Stenny are one of the best teams I have seen at Cliftonhill this season. Big Wedderburn has been immense in both games. I suppose my question is why are they not doing significantly better ? I’m assuming the playing budget is above an beyond Rovers’. I know you’re right up there for the play offs in fact a win tomorrow would make Stenny favourites for 4th. Rovers downed tools last week.

3 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

If we don't win this we don't deserve the play off's. As big a home banker as you will see.

4-0. Christie, corbett, thommo, & an orr double to seal his return to team.

3 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Feel that this is our best chance to squeeze into 4th. At home against a team with nothing to play for, who lost 5-0 last week, while Edinburgh are at Cowdenbeath who do have something to play for, and on that pitch.

Both teams are in bad form with one win in 5. So I'll predict a 2-0 win for City at Cowden and will check back in here on Saturday night to see how the predictions went...

Aye, we're really running out of time if we want to make top four, and this is the kind of game we need to win. On paper, it looks a fairly straightforward assignment - we're playing a down-on-their-luck side who have nothing to play for, and a side we've largely had the better of over the course of the season (I've long thought that Albion Rovers were our bogey side but I think that mantle might have been passed over to Stranraer). It's good to have Peter Urminsky back in the team, even if David Wilson has deputised well in his absence, but Tam Orr's return is hugely important and he really does bring energy and aggression to our forward line and dovetails well with Robert Thomson.

Judging by the preview on the Stenhousemuir website, we have a full squad to select from, so let's go with:

- Euan O'Reilly - Tam Orr - Robert Thomson -

- Mikey Miller - Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Anderson -

- Callum Yeats - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Adam Corbett -

- Peter Urminsky -

I'm quietly confident of a home victory. Cowdenbeath at Central Park could be a tricky assignment for Edinburgh City and we must win if we want to get into the play-offs.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Aye, we're really running out of time if we want to make top four, and this is the kind of game we need to win. On paper, it looks a fairly straightforward assignment - we're playing a down-on-their-luck side who have nothing to play for, and a side we've largely had the better of over the course of the season (I've long thought that Albion Rovers were our bogey side but I think that mantle might have been passed over to Stranraer). It's good to have Peter Urminsky back in the team, even if David Wilson has deputised well in his absence, but Tam Orr's return is hugely important and he really does bring energy and aggression to our forward line and dovetails well with Robert Thomson.

Judging by the preview on the Stenhousemuir website, we have a full squad to select from, so let's go with:

- Euan O'Reilly - Tam Orr - Robert Thomson -

- Mikey Miller - Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Anderson -

- Callum Yeats - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Adam Corbett -

- Peter Urminsky -

I'm quietly confident of a home victory. Cowdenbeath at Central Park could be a tricky assignment for Edinburgh City and we must win if we want to get into the play-offs.

I’m not sure down on our luck is quite accurate for Rovers. Prior to last week’s woeful showing Rovers were 5 games unbeaten (4 clean sheets) chuck in our best performance of the season beating Annan 4-2 at Galabank.

15 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

I’m not sure down on our luck is quite accurate for Rovers. Prior to last week’s woeful showing Rovers were 5 games unbeaten (4 clean sheets) chuck in our best performance of the season beating Annan 4-2 at Galabank.

Agreed, Edinburgh City have been on the end of three spankings from Albion this season. Think we made the mistake each time of looking at Albion's form at the time and thinking it would be an easy three points. 

On 15/04/2022 at 09:06, Vimto90 said:

If we don't win this we don't deserve the play off's. As big a home banker as you will see.

4-0. Christie, corbett, thommo, & an orr double to seal his return to team.

I make that 5...

That was the best performance from a Stenhousemuir side in about three or four years. From the first kick of the ball to the last, we annihilated Albion Rovers. The scoreline actually flatters them, as we passed up several excellent opportunities in the second half, and their penalty shouldn't have been awarded as the foul occurred outside the box. Everyone in maroon put in a tremendous shift today, especially Adam Corbett and Callum Yeats. Both players almost put in two of the best assists of the season - Corbett's through ball for Euan O'Reilly midway through the second half was stunning and should have led to a fifth goal, while Yeats' willingness to chase down a lost cause and curl a gorgeous cross in for Robert Thomson, who, again, should have scored, capped an energetic shift.

That's the worst Albion Rovers team we've faced the godawful John Brogan-era side that pitched up at Ochilview for a League Cup group stage tie at the start of the 2018/19 season. They offered absolutely nothing and the two full-backs, Adam Fernie and Alfie Robinson, are two of the poorest players I've seen in the division this season. Fernie in particular was so out of his depth, I was surprised to see him last the 90 minutes - he was routinely pulled apart by the likes of Darren Christie before selling Cammy Binnie short for the fourth.

With Edinburgh City drawing at Cowdenbeath, the gap between ourselves and the Citizens is now a single point. I'm going into next week's game against Stranraer with trepidation given how awful we've been against them so far this season but I do hope they'll go easy on us now they're secure in mid-table with nothing to play for. Play like we did today and we should beat them. I cannot wait for Saturday now!

I forgot to mention him in my previous post, but Nicky Jamieson was excellent again today and his tackle inside the box midway through the first half, nicking the ball of the toes of the Rovers attacker as he was certain to score, was wonderful. What a player!

Having been bowled over by the performance at Elgin last weekend, my wee lad spent all week persuading me to take him again today. They absolutely blew Rovers apart in the first 25 minutes. O’Reilly really is a class act, but the togetherness and game management even when Albion Rovers got a dodgy penalty and went down to 10 men really impressed me. A couple of the through balls, particularly the cross-field one in the 2nd half were sublime. Me and the lad have gone to 3 games in the last month as neutrals (the narrow defeat at Kelty was the other one); he’s now wanting a season ticket…

Stenny seem to have momentum going into the final weeks of the season.

Having been bowled over by the performance at Elgin last weekend, my wee lad spent all week persuading me to take him again today. They absolutely blew Rovers apart in the first 25 minutes. O’Reilly really is a class act, but the togetherness and game management even when Albion Rovers got a dodgy penalty and went down to 10 men really impressed me. A couple of the through balls, particularly the cross-field one in the 2nd half were sublime. Me and the lad have gone to 3 games in the last month as neutrals (the narrow defeat at Kelty was the other one); he’s now wanting a season ticket…

Stenny seem to have momentum going into the final weeks of the season.
Good to hear yous are enjoying it. Give the wee man what he wants! [emoji108]