Ways to save energy.

9 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

See these folk who talk about room thermostats? Am I right in thinking there are people who just have the central heating on 24/7 for a good 6 months of the year?

That's utterly fucking mad.

No, you use a programmer to control the times for heating to be on or off.  In my property there is no point in having a thermostat as I can't produce enough heat to worry about the rooms reaching temperature.

45 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

See these folk who talk about room thermostats? Am I right in thinking there are people who just have the central heating on 24/7 for a good 6 months of the year?

Mine is on 24/7/365.  Each room is individually controlled.  If it’s colder than we want it then it calls for heat. For most months of the year this doesn’t happen.  It’s called smart heating.

19 hours ago, hk blues said:

Where I am we don't have hot water except in the shower

Lucky you. I still use the old elephant shower (big tub of water and throw on oneself using a  large plastic bowl) cold and can be really cold some mornings.

Clothes and dishes are also cleaned with cold water, never seen any difference. 

23 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Lucky you. I still use the old elephant shower (big tub of water and throw on oneself using a  large plastic bowl) cold and can be really cold some mornings.

Clothes and dishes are also cleaned with cold water, never seen any difference. 

Yep - all of our relatives here have the plastic pot and cold water tap for showering. Our 1st place we rented was the same.  I'm a weakling when it comes to cold showers, cannot stand them. I'd rather stink!

Clothes and dishes are as clean as before so hot water doesn't really matter. At least with the clothes we wear over here.

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm a weakling when it comes to cold showers, cannot stand them. I'd rather stink!

11 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

^^Big team found.

On 15/04/2022 at 21:29, Boo Khaki said:

The one in my house is a 7 day digital programmable wireless thermostat which controls a gas boiler. The thermostat is in the Living Room. You decide the temperature the house will be at, at various times throughout each day. There are 3 different on/off times per day where you can choose the times and temperatures. Mine is set at 18 degrees pretty much from 7am until 10pm as at least one of us is in all day at the moment. At nighttime turn it down to 12 to 14 degrees.

Pre-Covid the heating was on 6.30am to 8am. Then 5pm to 11pm. My heating used to be set at 21 degrees, but I put it down by 1 degree waited a wee bit, then put it down another wee bit, etc. until it was 18 degrees.

On a day like today - 14 degrees and sunny - the heating isn’t on. Even if it’s timed to be on as the house holds it’s heat reasonably well.

Edited by Scary Bear