Ways to save energy.

Make the house instantly feel warmer for free simply by going out for a walk in the cold for a bit and going home.

That's not from Viz or anything, that's from personal experience. 🤐

Move next door to a house being used as a cannabis farm. It'll work up until they're raided. 

The only thing about cannabis farms is that being around 30 degrees temperature you get a feck load of flies (or so I'm told)

(Stoners: you're smoking a fair percentage of crushed up fruit fly corpses)

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

People who smoke are always talking about how much money they save after they quit. My advice is therefore to take up smoking then quit straight away. Think of the savings!

Cigarettes are a cheaper and more widely available alternative to nicotine patches.

59 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Move next door to a house being used as a cannabis farm. It'll work up until they're raided. 

The only thing about cannabis farms is that being around 30 degrees temperature you get a feck load of flies (or so I'm told)

(Stoners: you're smoking a fair percentage of crushed up fruit fly corpses)

Problem with this is the c***s have already tapped into your leccy to sort the bill.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Make the house instantly feel warmer for free simply by going out for a walk in the cold for a bit and going home.

That's not from Viz or anything, that's from personal experience. 🤐

At place I worked in a few decades back a visit to the warehouse on a freezing cold winter’s day usually involved going into the cold store for a wee while. You instantly felt warmer when back in the warehouse.

The most obvious one is to turn your thermostat down. A few years ago my house was heated to 21 degrees and now it’s at 18 degrees. It’s fine. Wear a jumper. I suppose I could go lower but then visitors would probably comment.

Most folk have already been buying in to the energy saving thing for the last decade, so there’s not much room left for low cost improvements.  They’ve installed LED lamps, free insulation, digital programmable thermostats, condensing boilers, double glazing, etc.

The next step is renewables but they are expensive. We’ve been paying a climate change levy on our utility bills for others to install renewables. Wind turbines have gone up but I haven’t noticed electricity costs coming down.

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The most obvious one is to turn your thermostat down. A few years ago my house was heated to 21 degrees and now it’s at 18 degrees. It’s fine. Wear a jumper. I suppose I could go lower but then visitors would probably comment.

Most folk have already been buying in to the energy saving thing for the last decade, so there’s not much room left for low cost improvements.  They’ve installed LED lamps, free insulation, digital programmable thermostats, condensing boilers, double glazing, etc.

The next step is renewables but they are expensive. We’ve been paying a climate change levy on our utility bills for others to install renewables. Wind turbines have gone up but I haven’t noticed electricity costs coming down.

And you never will.

14 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Wash clothes in cold water - heat makes little difference.

Check all your air vents in the house are clear - good airflow helps keep energy bills down

Ask Alexa for your daily sustainability tip.

Where I am we don't have hot water except in the shower so washing clothes and dishes is always done using cold water.  Seems manky AF but it actually works well enough.