Former Players Passing Away

Wasn't sure where to put this, so thought maybe this is something that deserves a regular thread. Update away with former players as they shuffle off this mortal coil.

Freddy Rincon, best known in Europe for playing with Real Madrid and Napoli, but who also played with Santos, Palmeiras, and Corinthians, has passed away at 55 after a car crash.

Famously scored this goal for Colombia to get them through in the closing seconds of the Italia 90 group stages.

He also scored twice in Colombia's famous 5-0 win over Argentina in 1993 in the WC qualifiers. And, for the more parochially minded, his last goal for Colombia came in a friendly against Scotland in America in 1998.

That commentary team were something else. I don't speak Spanish but their energy was infectious.

I only remember Colombia being knocked out by Cameroon, so had no recollection of how good they were. Some of their football was joyous and Higuita was one of those "they don't make them like that anymore" types.

Nice thread. I can see this being great for fitba da nostalgia hounds like me 😊.

Not meaning to push off-topic but looking at that YT video above, there has never been a more instantly recognisable footballer in the history of the game than Carlos Valderrama.

I remember playing an arcade game years ago when I was a wee guy, possibly Super Sidekicks, and all the players came from 2 or 3 different templates and 3 or 4 skin tones, but Colombia had the one guy strolling about the middle of the park with a bleached blonde afro.

Iconic.

On 14/04/2022 at 09:05, VincentGuerin said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, so thought maybe this is something that deserves a regular thread. Update away with former players as they shuffle off this mortal coil.

Freddy Rincon, best known in Europe for playing with Real Madrid and Napoli, but who also played with Santos, Palmeiras, and Corinthians, has passed away at 55 after a car crash.

Famously scored this goal for Colombia to get them through in the closing seconds of the Italia 90 group stages.

He also scored twice in Colombia's famous 5-0 win over Argentina in 1993 in the WC qualifiers. And, for the more parochially minded, his last goal for Colombia came in a friendly against Scotland in America in 1998.

So nearly went to that game.....in fact we were in the car outside the San Siro an hour before kick-off debating whether we got tickets or not.....decided to head on to Torino for the Scotland v Brazil game which i think was the next day.