The 3 Conference Champions

Congratulations to the two official Conference champions and all the best between Arthurlie and Shotts to see who is champion.

Out of the 3 conference champions, Petershill, Cambuslang Rangers and looks most likely Arthurlie but could be Shotts.
Which teams will have to make big changes to their squads for the Battle in the WOS Premier League.  Do most these teams have enough power already or do you think they might need a couple of players or do some need more than a few.

What's everyone's thoughts at this early stage

It's very hard to judge the quality of Arthurlie, Petershill and Cambuslang Rangers based on a season in Conferences where the vast majority of their games have been against teams who are miles away from Premier Division standard.

That doesn't mean their current squads are not ready to step up and make the grade, as they have all been incredibly consistent and ruthless with long winning runs, and winning breeds self-confidence and becomes a habit.

I expect all three to start next season well with the momentum of this season still fresh in their minds, but only time will tell if they can sustain it. I wouldn't be surprised if all three teams were comfortably outside the bottom three at the end of next season.

As a Cambuslang regular they definately need quality additions with Gemmell retiring & Williamson off to QP. Left back needs upgraded as does someone to partner Anson at the back with the young lad looking suspect at times. Similar in midfield with help required for Giffin & Stevenson, the later strolled this season.

Im taking nothing away from what the Lang achieved btw, they blew most teams away but do have a small squad and Gemmell was quoted in a recent article stating upgrades on current players were required.

Not just the teams that will need upgraded if they plan to compete at that level.

Quite possible that the promoted clubs are heading for a top division without the likes of Talbot.

That changes the dynamics completely. More than a few clubs will be thinking let's have go at this on and off the park.

I hope the three newbies will go for it on the licence front as well as on the pitch.

Any team that ain't serious will be left behind.

7 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Not just the teams that will need upgraded if they plan to compete at that level.

Quite possible that the promoted clubs are heading for a top division without the likes of Talbot.

That changes the dynamics completely. More than a few clubs will be thinking let's have go at this on and off the park.

I hope the three newbies will go for it on the licence front as well as on the pitch.

Any team that ain't serious will be left behind.

I'm not so sure about that. Not all clubs will be geared up for a licence on or off the park. I don't believe clubs will get left behind. Eventually there will be a natural order and a rightful place for all clubs, those that show ambition and those that are happy to operate and compete at a level. 

22 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

I'm not so sure about that. Not all clubs will be geared up for a licence on or off the park. I don't believe clubs will get left behind. Eventually there will be a natural order and a rightful place for all clubs, those that show ambition and those that are happy to operate and compete at a level. 

I wouldn't imagine many fans would be happy to watch the local rivals getting a run in the big Scottish Cup every year because the club doesn't have wherewithal to go for a licence.

I'm looking for every team in the two top Wosfl leagues at least to be playing in the big Scottish every year by 2030.

Arthurlie will need to strengthen if we are promoted.  We have a great squad at the moment with some really good youngsters starting to come through.  In my opinion it would be suicide to rely on the younger lads to do battle with more experienced players week in week out. 

Our manager certainly has a knack of bringing in quality and I would expect him to be on the lookout for players who will improve the squad. Already there are names being mentioned who come into that category. 

Must be a weird position to be in with the conferences, especially if ye felt ye had an opportunity to win it this year, as going for a license is guaranteed source of income for years to come and a great boost to the club's profile... but taking money away from player budget could consign ye to the 1st or 2nd division which wont be an easy position to climb up to the Premier from. Was a bit of a stick or twist season.

3 hours ago, funky monkey said:

The word in bold is the problem. The WoSFL has a rake of clubs who can make their way through the play offs and LL but if they have that am option they’re going to be frustrated as they wait for their turn. It really is terrible what’s happening.

47 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Must be a weird position to be in with the conferences, especially if ye felt ye had an opportunity to win it this year, as going for a license is guaranteed source of income for years to come and a great boost to the club's profile... but taking money away from player budget could consign ye to the 1st or 2nd division which wont be an easy position to climb up to the Premier from. Was a bit of a stick or twist season.

Don't think there are that many clubs who could have gone for their license this year in the conferences though, maybe the likes of Petershill (definitely a good idea to concentrate on the league!), Yoker, Carluke, Renfrew etc but only because they have the ground/lights.

Edited by Ginaro

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Don't think there are that many clubs who could have gone for their license this year in the conferences though, maybe the likes of Petershill (definitely a good idea to concentrate on the league!), Yoker, Carluke, Renfrew etc but only because they have the ground/lights.

Licensing takes a whole club to buy into the concept. It's not something that one guy at a club can do on his own. It is time-consuming, costly and an enormous amount of effort and work, but the benefits of compliance are hugely obvious. Some of the clubs mentioned above perhaps have compliant facilities, but that is only about 15% of the requirements. The rest of it is a paperwork minefield, including multiple training courses for several personnel as well as the formulation of policy documentation which would choke a horse.

We're nearly there, but I've been working on it in the background for over two years now, and it's been pretty full-on for the past six months. If not everyone at the club is behind the concept then it becomes difficult, it really needs a full club effort, and sometimes clubs just don't have the personnel or financial resources for that, despite having excellent compliant facilities.

12 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I presume there's no end of season play off for an overall "champion" in the conferences?

Drumchapel must be gutted to do that well in their debut season only to fall just short of the league and a place in the Premier. Would have been an interesting sight

Drumchapel spent a fortune trying to get up.

12 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I presume there's no end of season play off for an overall "champion" in the conferences?

Drumchapel must be gutted to do that well in their debut season only to fall just short of the league and a place in the Premier. Would have been an interesting sight

No there is no play off between the conference winners, there is no need for one as they all get promoted to the Premier Division.

39 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Some of the clubs mentioned above perhaps have compliant facilities, but that is only about 15% of the requirements.

Aye we know - you don't have to keep telling us that there's non-ground criteria ;) Though in terms of costs floodlights will be the biggest outlay, that's why I only bothered to mention those with likely compliant grounds. 

Aye we know - you don't have to keep telling us that there's non-ground criteria [emoji6] Though in terms of costs floodlights will be the biggest outlay, that's why I only bothered to mention those with likely compliant grounds. 
I only mention it so often because I read on here so often about this club or that club must have a chance of getting their licence because of where they play. The ground criteria is actually a very small part of the work that needs done, people should not underestimate the level of commitment it takes from a club to achieve compliance.

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Yeah possibly not in a single year but even beginning the process will eat into a playing budget. 

Yeah possibly not in a single year but even beginning the process will eat into a playing budget. 
£2000 up front application fee for starters, before paying for the multiple training courses required, Disclosures/PVGs, ground improvements etc.

It's not a cheap process, but it's a 'speculate to accumulate' situation as the ultimate benefits of compliance massively outweigh the original costs of application.

48 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That £2k application fee is a one off tho' right? You don't need to re-apply each year or after a 'failed' inspection, etc? Just get told what needs work and get it right for next time

Correct. Once you pay your £2000 fee you are in the process. You have as long as it takes thereafter to reach compliance, there is no failure really, just non-compliance.