Cove vs Alloa

McAllister misses out from the match day squad but Mitch is fit enough to start.

Team lineup and formation below. Suspect Fyvie will play at the tip of the diamond or even partner Mitch up top when we have the ball. Without the ball it could look similar to below. Midfield will be narrow to allow Harry and Shay to use the width 

It's a foggy one at Balmoral. A few miles in land it's blue sky and warmer.

Screenshot_20220416-140908.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-140721.jpg

Pretty even encounter for the majority of the game, indeed we perhaps slightly shaded it before Cove scored. Didn't take our chances though whereas Cove were clinical and that was pretty much the difference.

Cove solid throughout the team and will thoroughly deserve to be champions, even if they have to wait another week to make it official. 

Reflections on today are a fairly balanced first half which was end to end and entertaining. Thought Alloa looked quite threatening in the first 45, attacked with numbers and inter-exchanged well in the final third.

Second half belonged to Cove who were ruthless with their efforts on goal. Alloa did still continue to create and looked dangerous from corners. Milne shone again today with a pinpoint assist and a wonderful long range header. Fyvie scored a fine brace and could have secured his hat trick with a 20 yard screamer but Morrison tipped it onto the post.

Impressed with Alloa particularly the first half. There is progression there and that's testament to Rice. If he's at the Recs next season i'd be interested to see who he brings in. Gets it right then the Wasps will finish much higher than this season.

Without a target man up top, and Rory in particular, we lack an outball. I was a bit worried about that today but Fyvie and Mitch linked up well and with Harry making runs beyond we still had attacking impetus.

14 from Fyvie this season is a spectacular return from a DCM who's been asked to play further forward.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Quite simply beaten by the better team,

Cove will do well in the championship no mistake IMO

Defended well and have good players

turned the screw in the second half and did what they do well

As for us ! Henderson wasteful as usual , why has he not been benched ? too greedy 

too many  slack passes all round  , we missed the magic hat today why was he not on at some point  ?

We were not good enough to open up the Cove defence , we  seemed to give up last ten minutes

Definitely  safe now so its all a bit meh .

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Reflections on today are a fairly balanced first half which was end to end and entertaining. Thought Alloa looked quite threatening in the first 45, attacked with numbers and inter-exchanged well in the final third.

Second half belonged to Cove who were ruthless with their efforts on goal. Alloa did still continue to create and looked dangerous from corners. Milne shone again today with a pinpoint assist and a wonderful long range header. Fyvie scored a fine brace and could have secured his hat trick with a 20 yard screamer but Morrison tipped it onto the post.

Impressed with Alloa particularly the first half. There is progression there and that's testament to Rice. If he's at the Recs next season i'd be interested to see who he brings in. Gets it right then the Wasps will finish much higher than this season.

Without a target man up top, and Rory in particular, we lack an outball. I was a bit worried about that today but Fyvie and Mitch linked up well and with Harry making runs beyond we still had attacking impetus.

14 from Fyvie this season is a spectacular return from a DCM who's been asked to play further forward.

I thought Fyvie was the best player on the park today, even ignoring his goals. 

We played OK and created several chances, but didn't quite have the quality to take any of them. This was partly because Cove defended well when they had to. By contrast we looked less solid at the back when put under pressure. It has to be said that Big Andy struggled at times against such a good side, whose attacking is all about movement.

While Henderson was his usual frustrating self at times, I thought overall he had a decent game and remains our most dangerous forward. 

Bringing in Sena to combat Milne worked well first half, but the latter was still dangerous and ultimately won the battle. Think we missed Cawley in midfield.

1 minute ago, printer said:

I thought Fyvie was the best player on the park today, even ignoring his goals. 

We played OK and created several chances, but didn't quite have the quality to take any of them. This was partly because Cove defended well when they had to. By contrast we looked less solid at the back when put under pressure. It has to be said that Big Andy struggled at times against such a good side, whose attacking is all about movement.

While Henderson was his usual frustrating self at times, I thought overall he had a decent game and remains our most dangerous forward. 

Bringing in Sena to combat Milne worked well first half, but the latter was still dangerous and ultimately won the battle. Think we missed Cawley in midfield.

Fyvie has been excellent all season for us and have no doubts in his ability to handle the Championship. The latter I can't say about Vigurs. He'll be ok but we should be looking to strengthen or at least give options there. He has experience, an astute left foot and is a calming influence but would love another DCM with more pace (not difficult) as at times he's walking.

We have to target our recruitment in the summer and do it well if we have lofty aspirations of say challenging for playoff spots.

One thing I realised today is how big a side Alloa are. Graham, Durnan, Sena, Sammon are all giants and a threat aerially. Thought one of the corners was going to result in a goal.

Sena did well out of position, Howie was solid and Henderson looked lively first half especially and picked up some good positions.

Oh well, that was a bit inevitable, I suppose. Two tough games to finish - 6th will be tricky to hold on to.

With regard to Cove in the Championship, a few of the perennial strugglers like Morton must be shiteing it a wee bit for next season. Airdrie's form must make them favourites for the play-offs too. Next season in League One could be even more of a b*****d with Falkirk, QoS, a surely-stronger Queen's Park, Kelty, and maybe Dunfermline again.

Who doesn't love a challenge?  :D

7 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It's a foggy one at Balmoral. A few miles in land it's blue sky and warmer.

Have you seen the film "The final countdown" a similar thing happened to me today , as i was approaching Stonehaven 

a mysterious mist appeared and i was transported back in time to January 2022 ! . 

9 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Have you seen the film "The final countdown" a similar thing happened to me today , as i was approaching Stonehaven 

a mysterious mist appeared and i was transported back in time to January 2022 ! . 

Certainly was déjà vu. It's not always like that I promise! It is, however, always cold in Cove.

31 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

We drove from sun into haar on the outskirts of Aberdeen on Friday afternoon, and it didn't lift at all until we drove back out this evening 🥶

17 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Certainly was déjà vu. It's not always like that I promise! It is, however, always cold in Cove.

Do Cove have any plans to develop the ground in the near future? Tidy enough setup but would be really improved even with a bit of terracing behind the goals. 

11 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Pretty much this. I thought first half we were really good, and probably were the better team. Unfortunately undone by predominantly Fyvie who to his credit has been class every time I've seen him against us this season. It shows why Cove are champions elect really, because it was actually quite an even game.

Had the stream for this one- commentators were really good but the automatic camera needs to go in the bin. If I was a Cove fan I would have been going nuts because the camera missed every single one of their corners first half 😆. Obviously the fog played a part, the camera couldn't locate the ball.

Beaten but certainly not disgraced, hopefully we can push on and finish the season with a couple of wins.

11 hours ago, Waspie said:

We drove from sun into haar on the outskirts of Aberdeen on Friday afternoon, and it didn't lift at all until we drove back out this evening 🥶

Do Cove have any plans to develop the ground in the near future? Tidy enough setup but would be really improved even with a bit of terracing behind the goals. 

I think there are plans to extend the main stand considerably. Whether that will be this summer or not I'm not entirely sure.

We need terracing as you say around the 3 other sides as with almost 1300 there yesterday people were 2/3 deep in some areas and the viewing angles diminish. It needs elevation from terracing to accommodate a bigger crowd. 

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I think there are plans to extend the main stand considerably. Whether that will be this summer or not I'm not entirely sure.

We need terracing as you say around the 3 other sides as with almost 1300 there yesterday people were 2/3 deep in some areas and the viewing angles diminish. It needs elevation from terracing to accommodate a bigger crowd. 

My brother was there yesterday. Said it wis affa' cauld.

11 hours ago, Waspie said:

I really like the wee paddocks opposite the main stand. I might be wrong but seen a few examples of this in the Highland League, seems to be a wee tradition of those grounds.

Agree though, very much like Balmoor behind the goals. And with bigger games and crowds on the horizon probably needs at minimum some raised standing behind the goals.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

My brother was there yesterday. Said it wis affa' cauld.

It was cold but I've been to many games at Balmoral when it's been far worse! Bought numerous packs of hand warmers and foot warmers over the last couple of years. They weren't needed yesterday thankfully.

We definitely need some shelter from the elements as it's exposed.

7 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I really like the wee paddocks opposite the main stand. I might be wrong but seen a few examples of this in the Highland League, seems to be a wee tradition of those grounds.

Agree though, very much like Balmoor behind the goals. And with bigger games and crowds on the horizon probably needs at minimum some raised standing behind the goals.

Yeah they are at least some protection from the rain and wind (depending on which way it's blowing). Fairly common at HL grounds.

Anything close to 2000 would be a real struggle at Balmoral so we need to do something or else we'll be turning away fans and revenue!