Airdrie -vs- Sons - Now or Never

15 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

John Steele has been identified from the line up.

He may not have intended to suggest the match was being "thrown" but just that the team are so shite it's a formality that Cove will leave with 3 points. 

What a bizarre thing for him to say. Thankfully he resigned from his position as chairman a while back so isn’t currently an active director. He is however honorary president and I’d expect him to conduct himself in a professional manner when he’s swaning around in a club tie and sitting in the directors box. 

27 minutes ago, microdave said:

I can see why the red card was a red, and I think awarding a penalty for the MacLean shot that hit Fordyce on the arm would've been extremely harsh. Both could probably be argued, but I think Greg Aitken has got them right on second viewing.

Why Buchanan is letting the ball bounce for the winner is beyond me. That's the second time Jordan Allan has made him look like a right mug at that end. He seems to totally spook him.

10 minutes ago, Passionate said:

How has Gregg Wylde been for you guys,   if it's anything like his previous clubs, he would start well,  get found out quickly,become a liability and pick up a wage sitting on the bench, waiting for the next sap to come along and "unlock his potential"

Yeah that pretty much sums up his time at the Sons.

7 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Yeah that pretty much sums up his time at the Sons.

I’m not even sure I’d give him the credit of starting well. At first he looked like an upgrade on Boyle (he isn’t) then he weirdly started playing in midfield. He’s had one good half IMO.  Imagine being Callum Wilson and sitting on the bench watching absolute tripe like Wylde get a start over you. I’m not actually sure what Wilson has to do to get into the team.

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I can see why the red card was a red, and I think awarding a penalty for the MacLean shot that hit Fordyce on the arm would've been extremely harsh. Both could probably be argued, but I think Greg Aitken has got them right on second viewing.

Frizz's challenge is barely a yellow nevermind a red...he's a fraction late with the tackle for a ball he's well entitled to go for and catches the top of the player's foot as he's played the ball, absolutely no way that challenge can be classed as dangerous play. 

Baffling decision from the ref who couldn't wait to get the red card out.

8 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Frizz's challenge is barely a yellow nevermind a red...he's a fraction late with the tackle for a ball he's well entitled to go for and catches the top of the player's foot as he's played the ball, absolutely no way that challenge can be classed as dangerous play. 

Baffling decision from the ref who couldn't wait to get the red card out.

It obviously looks worse when it's slowed right down. But I can absolutely see why that's a red. I'll sound the @pleslie99 claxon though.

screenshot-www.airdriefc.com-2022.04.17-11_15_26.png

Hope we never play Dumbarton at home again 😂 Tremendous entertainment value mind you. 

2-0 up and looking comfortable. Some really lovely attacking play between Easton, Frizzell, McCabe, Paterson, Smith and Gal and we could/should have scored one or two more. But the soft goal (two soft goals conceded again) and the red card let them back in the game. Will need to watch it again in the highlights but the challenge for the red card looked fairly innocuous at the time.  I suppose we might appeal it but a rest for a game or two might actually benefit Frizzell ahead of the play-offs. 

The red card changed the game and we didn't really seem to react to it in terms of shape or personnel. We just played the exact same shape but with a man less in the midfield which, combined with our worrying habit of dropping deep in the second-half, meant we struggled to get a foothold in the game. We usually get away with it but I do fear we'll essentially gift the game to the better opposition we'll face in the play-offs if we surrender so much territory and possession to them. I understand we were a man down yesterday, and that we can't be gung-ho with our pressing and attacking play all of the time, but we're a much better team when we're attacking and having a go at teams. I'd have brought on Devanny or Matty McDonald (who?) much earlier. But once we did I thought we got a better grip of the game and Devanny did well at picking up some loose balls and played some nice passes, he was very unlucky with that ball over the top to Smith when he seemed to lose his footing. 

This team isn't just the best footballing team we've had in about 15 years but by a mile it has the best mentality, spirit and fight to not know when they're beat and grind out results. Which is probably even more important for the play-offs than our footballing ability. Full credit to Murray, Agnew, Prunty and the players for that. Great to see Jordan Allan get on the scoresheet. His cameo epitomised exactly his importance to this squad. Non-stop running, effort and determination to grab a goal when we were desperate for it. He gave Buchanan a torrid time (again) and he was able to capitalise on their weaknesses by running in behind, which is when we looked at our most dangerous. He even won his fair share of headers which is more than can be said for that big diddy Afolabi (despite them being the weeist and the biggest c***s on the park respectively). 

Good entertainment all-round and looking forward to watching back the highlights. Though my heart could do without the drama of these occasions for a season or two.  

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It obviously looks worse when it's slowed right down. But I can absolutely see why that's a red. I'll sound the @pleslie99 claxon though.

I'd accept that if Frizz's foot was planted on his ankle then yes you could say your into red card territory however I don't see any of his boot on Carswell ankle...it looks slightly in front of his leg and catching the top of his foot. Also Frizz's foot barely comes off the ground when challenging for the ball, he's never going to cause serious injury with that type of challenge.

49 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

In IM's interview he seems to suggest that the ref branded the tackle a "stamp" which he disputes as his boot barely leaves the turf. The DTV coverage ain't great to clarify so I doubt it will be rescinded if appealed and a little 2 game rest for Adam, back for the play offs may be beneficial.

Watched the penalty several times and can't make up my mind.

16 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It felt like today just about summed up our season. We're a good team when we go at teams. We're not a good enough team defensively to play it tight and try and nick a 1-0/2-1. And we don't have the quality Airdrie have going forward. So when it comes down to a who can outscore who type scenario then their quality attacking players against our iffy defence was only going to have one outcome.

That being said though, I didn't think we were bad defensively today. George Stanger was, for my money, the best player in a Sons shirt on the park. And arguably second only to the brilliant Dylan Easton across both teams. He barely put a foot wrong defensively and his use of the ball in the second-half was superb. He played some quality passes into our forwards, whipped in some good crosses and scored a good goal. Regardless of what division we are in next year, I would like to see Faz trying to tie him down on a permanent deal. I like him a lot as a centre-half.

I thought Paddy Boyle also had a really solid game. I was very critical of him earlier in the season, but in recent weeks I've been impressed by him. Whilst hooking Paton was a massive turning point, swapping Boyle for Wylde was also something that weakened us.

But for 87 minutes or so of decent defending we gift Airdrie two goals with howlers. Paul Paton for the second, and Gregor Buchanan for the winner. And that is exactly why we are where we are. 

I couldn't fault the effort or the desire of the players at all. I thought every single one of them ran themselves into the ground for the team. It must be utterly demoralising for the attacking guys to see the jerseys being sold on a regular basis by those behind them. I posted it on our own thread, but we basically have to score three goals to win a game most weeks. And that's never going to end well.

Airdrie played right into our hands after the red card. Like us I thought they looked far better going forward than at the back. So when they sat in and invited pressure it was only ever a matter of time before we scored. Then all hell broke loose as both teams played without a midfield and just lumped everything forward. The last 10 minutes were absolutely wild - encapsulated by us leaving four up for a corner. I've never seen anything like it.

As BBPF says I'd be happy to see Airdrie go up. I love Ian Murray. I love Bryan Prunty and Scott Agnew. And I feel nothing but jealousy seeing them in a dugout together. Likewise I like the way Airdrie play, and their squad has a host of players I admire. The job Muzz has done has been first class, and I'm really pleased he's rebuilt his reputation after a dodgy six months at

I'll leave the last word for, as is always the case in Sons v Airdrie games, the referee. I like Greg Aitken, I think he's a good referee. But - on first viewing - I think he got three major decisions wrong today. I don't think Adam Frizzell's red card was a red. I think we should've had a penalty in the first-half for handball. And I think we should've had a penalty in the second-half for the challenge on Callum Wilson (who looked far more himself today, which was very pleasing).

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see the highlights. But, at the time, all three decisions looked wrong.

watched our high lights just for the three incidents. 

I think he probably got them all right but it's close.

The Fordyce hand ball sees his hands not out from his chest etc so I can get his decision, but as the cliche goes, I've seen them given. 

The Wilson one is not shown but I thought Smith just got the ball first. No doubt I'd be shouting up the other end. 

On the Red card I see two players stretching out to the ball: Carslaw does get there first and Frizzel does catch him on boot. Was it endangering an opponent? Certainly a yellow but a bit harsh when having watched Josh Campbell get just a yellow in the TV game.

There were a few close things after the own goal so maybe Dumbarton were not as bad as some on here suggested. I think you will be safe so it could be more drama next season, if we don't go up.

20 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

In the Murray interview he talks about a striker playing right back. I was puzzled but was he meaning Walker or who went there after Walker being subbed? Certainly not Afolabi! 

After we scored Callum Smith went to right back.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Iv not seen it and working today so will have a look later. Can't tell too much from stills but from that one it doesn't look great

16 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

There is no chance of any favours being done. It's also a bit off when one of your directors tells us on his way out the stand "enjoy these minutes because we'll be handing Cove the title next weekend"

That’s weird as all the directors and hangers on (me) were in a box today and not in the stand…

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

That’s weird as all the directors and hangers on (me) were in a box today and not in the stand…

Neither myself or the 3 other individuals who heard the remark have any interest in making these things up. The man was a grade A fud. In a suit with what appeared to be a Dumbarton club tie and he went back in the door at the back of the stand to where the hospitality boxes are located. Maybe you weren't keeping tabs on them all as well as you thought.