Airdrie -vs- Sons - Now or Never

5 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

There is no chance of any favours being done. It's also a bit off when one of your directors tells us on his way out the stand "enjoy these minutes because we'll be handing Cove the title next weekend"

Which director said this? 

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Wilson is unplayable on his day. He's also tied down for next season, so we'll have him unless someone is prepared to pay - which was some cracking business from the club. He's only 18 too.

His only issue is that he's been glued to the bench since about January. He won POTM in September and then his form dipped a bit. Even in his cameos from the bench between December and March he looked like a guy without any confidence whatsoever. In recent weeks though he's started to show signs of having his mojo back. Hopefully he gets a couple of starts in the coming weeks and can build on that. Because he could be a big player for us in the playoffs.

I definitely think if you can get the best out of him you can stay up. But you definitely need to sort out your defence, anyone with pace can cause you lot serious problems.

Would fancy him at Airdrie if he was out of contract, him, Easton and Frizzell would be quality in midfield.

Let's hope if it's Dunfermline we play in the play offs, we could get Dom Thomas too, if we beat them that is😁

Edited by David Fernández

Just now, The Moonster said:

Which director said this? 

Don't know any of them so couldn't say. Just some miserable auld c**t. One of the boys I sit with asked if he thought the behaviour of an individual (you'll know who that was) on the Dumbarton bench was acceptable and that was the reply.

1 minute ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Don't know any of them so couldn't say. Just some miserable auld c**t. One of the boys I sit with asked if he thought the behaviour of an individual (you'll know who that was) on the Dumbarton bench was acceptable and that was the reply.

I just can't imagine either of Colin Hosie or Neil McKay saying such things so was wondering if it was our new man on the board (we only have 1 other director and she's female). Outrageous thing for a club official to say. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It felt like today just about summed up our season. We're a good team when we go at teams. We're not a good enough team defensively to play it tight and try and nick a 1-0/2-1. And we don't have the quality Airdrie have going forward. So when it comes down to a who can outscore who type scenario then their quality attacking players against our iffy defence was only going to have one outcome.

That being said though, I didn't think we were bad defensively today. George Stanger was, for my money, the best player in a Sons shirt on the park. And arguably second only to the brilliant Dylan Easton across both teams. He barely put a foot wrong defensively and his use of the ball in the second-half was superb. He played some quality passes into our forwards, whipped in some good crosses and scored a good goal. Regardless of what division we are in next year, I would like to see Faz trying to tie him down on a permanent deal. I like him a lot as a centre-half.

I thought Paddy Boyle also had a really solid game. I was very critical of him earlier in the season, but in recent weeks I've been impressed by him. Whilst hooking Paton was a massive turning point, swapping Boyle for Wylde was also something that weakened us.

But for 87 minutes or so of decent defending we gift Airdrie two goals with howlers. Paul Paton for the second, and Gregor Buchanan for the winner. And that is exactly why we are where we are. 

I couldn't fault the effort or the desire of the players at all. I thought every single one of them ran themselves into the ground for the team. It must be utterly demoralising for the attacking guys to see the jerseys being sold on a regular basis by those behind them. I posted it on our own thread, but we basically have to score three goals to win a game most weeks. And that's never going to end well.

Airdrie played right into our hands after the red card. Like us I thought they looked far better going forward than at the back. So when they sat in and invited pressure it was only ever a matter of time before we scored. Then all hell broke loose as both teams played without a midfield and just lumped everything forward. The last 10 minutes were absolutely wild - encapsulated by us leaving four up for a corner. I've never seen anything like it.

As BBPF says I'd be happy to see Airdrie go up. I love Ian Murray. I love Bryan Prunty and Scott Agnew. And I feel nothing but jealousy seeing them in a dugout together. Likewise I like the way Airdrie play, and their squad has a host of players I admire. The job Muzz has done has been first class, and I'm really pleased he's rebuilt his reputation after a dodgy six months at St Mirren.

I'll leave the last word for, as is always the case in Sons v Airdrie games, the referee. I like Greg Aitken, I think he's a good referee. But - on first viewing - I think he got three major decisions wrong today. I don't think Adam Frizzell's red card was a red. I think we should've had a penalty in the first-half for handball. And I think we should've had a penalty in the second-half for the challenge on Callum Wilson (who looked far more himself today, which was very pleasing).

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see the highlights. But, at the time, all three decisions looked wrong.

Fair points made and I also will wait to see the highlights , and if any of these refereeing moments are included. I don't like criticising officials but there was just something about Aitken today. Is he about to be dropped from the rota? 

These games have been dramatic and I wish you all the best in the play offs. 

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I just can't imagine either of Colin Hosie or Neil McKay saying such things so was wondering if it was our new man on the board (we only have 1 other director and she's female). Outrageous thing for a club official to say. 

I don’t think our new guy is all that old is he? 

Get every single one of the board and the management team so far to f**k. They are collectively, a complete embarassment.

We're a good team when we go at teams. We're not a good enough team defensively to play it tight and try and nick a 1-0/2-1.

It’s incredible, that at this point in the season, the manager could not realise this.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t think our new guy is all that old is he? 

Get every single one of the board and the management team so far to f**k. They are collectively, a complete embarassment.

I don't even know what he looks like tbh. 

I don't think Adam Frizzell's red card was a red. I think we should've had a penalty in the first-half for handball. And I think we should've had a penalty in the second-half for the challenge on Callum Wilson (who looked far more himself today, which was very pleasing).

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see the highlights. But, at the time, all three decisions looked wrong.

I think a red for frizz was very harsh.  It looked as if the ref indicated his foot was high.  Some of the dumbarton players looked surprised.  The handball from Fordyce I'd have to admit looked a penalty as their was a little distance before the shot hit him.  The ref seemed to indicate his hands were tucked in but my first reaction was that's handball.  The tackle on calum Wilson was perfectly timed from calum Smith.  He did have to dive in a little as as Wilson was pretty much past him but he got the ball.    Smith really should have been given MOTM today but I had to chuckle at Allan gettin it for a 2 yard tap in.   If the sons show the same workrate in the play offs they showed 2nd half today they will be in league 1 again next season.   

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Ex-chairman Steele was at Airdrie today,dressed like he was still chairman.

He's bald and a bit dour.

Edited by Silverton End

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The most depressing aspect for ourselves is that irrespective of what division we end up in next season, nothing will really change - it will be more of the same.  Remain in Division One and we'll be nailed on for the drop, whilst dropping down to Division two could worryingly see us head down the path trod by Brechin and Cowdenbeath.

The cherry on top of those two possible scenarios is that Farrell will still be in charge.

When you really think about it, today’s result isn’t surprising. In one dugout you had Dumbarton’s best manager over the last 3 or 4 decades and in the other dugout you had one of the worst since Fallon. 

Three decades I’d just about give you but not four

I’m really curious to find out which “director” claimed we were going to throw the Cove game. I appreciated emotions may hve been running high and they were being goaded by Airdrie supporters, but for any club official to say something like that is a disgrace. 

A quick google of Dr Neil McKay Dumbarton, John Steele Dumbarton and Colin Hosie Dumbarton will bring up an image. Despite the photos being readily availble to the public on Google I don’t really want to go posting them on here. Feel free to identify the culprit Airdrie fans.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m really curious to find out which “director” claimed we were going to throw the Cove game. I appreciated emotions may hve been running high and they were being goaded by Airdrie supporters, but for any club official to say something like that is a disgrace. 

A quick google of Dr Neil McKay Dumbarton, John Steele Dumbarton and Colin Hosie Dumbarton will bring up an image. Despite the photos being readily availble to the public on Google I don’t really want to go posting them on here. Feel free to identify the culprit Airdrie fans.

John Steele has been identified from the line up.

He may not have intended to suggest the match was being "thrown" but just that the team are so shite it's a formality that Cove will leave with 3 points. 

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Additional comment

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

The cherry on top of those two possible scenarios is that Farrell will still be in charge.

How has Gregg Wylde been for you guys,   if it's anything like his previous clubs, he would start well,  get found out quickly,become a liability and pick up a wage sitting on the bench, waiting for the next sap to come along and "unlock his potential"