Airdrie -vs- Sons - Now or Never

Never a dull moment at an Airdrie Dumbarton game 😁

Does anyone know what the red card was for by the way? Didn't look a red from where I seen it at the game.

Great character to grind our the win being down to 10 men. Jordan Allan is streaks ahead of Afolabi and contributes far more coming off the bench.

We looked excellent going forward but very fragile defensively, hopefully with some players being out it isn't too serious.

I think even my old man who has dodgy knees and in his 60s has more pace than Afolabi 😅

43 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

The joy of watching that big boabie Eric Phillips at the final whistle.  He would be a first rate mascot with all that banter. He seriously should be concentrating on being one of the coaching staff rather than being pre-occupied with trying to wind up opposing fans. 

He's a massive fanny and a bigot and I can't wait until he's gone from our club. 

I didn't bother watching today, played golf instead and it's no surprise to see us shit the bed in the last minute again. Deserve everything we've had from this season and deserve to go down. 

16 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Maybe securing a stuffy team relegation playoffs? 

What a weird thing to be proud of. And for the record we're absolutely not stuffy, we've got the worst defence in the league.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He's a massive fanny and a bigot and I can't wait until he's gone from our club. 

I didn't bother watching today, played golf instead and it's no surprise to see us shit the bed in the last minute again. Deserve everything we've had from this season and deserve to go down. 

What a weird thing to be proud of. And for the record we're absolutely not stuffy, we've got the worst defence in the league.

Ultra weird. So weird! So profoundly odd and strange. Also very weird. 

This had looked really promising when we made Wright work hard for his saves. Dumbarton never looked like being adventurous and Easton's goal was well merited. I don't know how the 2nd came about as to who dallied in the box but Gallagher's finish was excellent. Ross McLean did eventually have a great shot and Currie needed to make a great save. Not sure of the timing but that attack and cut back by Paterson was a marvelous move, maybe not offside. Dumbarton had a real chance later and a poorly defended headed goal ,

but the turning point was the red card.

Given how often Frizzel is fouled I find it hard to assess whether it was even a foul and if that is Premier League refereeing thank goodness for Craig Napier.

Dumbarton were then able to dominate the ball and that wee sub guy was quite good. There was more energy from Dumbarton and I always feared a long ball into the box. I thought it was Fordyce that misheaded it but I am told it was McCabe. Credit to the players in taking the game up the park in the last ten minutes.

The debates on Jordan Allan can now resume and I was so thankful to him for his efforts and goal.  

Such drama in these Dumbarton games and being in the family friendly area I missed all the technical area hubbub. First game this season where I was in no rush to get the takeaway. Well done guys. Not yet conceded to Cove.

Phew;

Slightly bizarre reaction from a couple of Airdrie fans for no apparent reason.
I actually fancy Airdrie to do well in the playoffs, defensively you look quite vurnerable but going forward you can be electric. Dylan Easton is a great player at this level and in Ian Murray you have a superb gaffer who is a winner through and through. He’s my all time favourite Dumbarton gaffer along with many other Sons fans so with the added Prunty and Agnew factor I’d imagine most Sons fans will be rooting for you.

Rooting for Airdrie? You can’t be serious can you?

45 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Ultra weird. So weird! So profoundly odd and strange. Also very weird. 

You are easily one of the worst Airdrie posters on this site. The ironic thing is that you really, REALLY can't do the type of trolling you attempt incessantly, while simultaneously thinking that you are doing a bang up job of it. 

That game today was our season encapsulated in ninety odd minutes, and especially the winning goal.  Yet another wrong decision in the attacking area was followed ten seconds later by yet another failure to track an opposition runner into our box and hey presto, relegation play-offs here we come.  

After the thirty-third time it begins to become boring, and let's spare the hard luck bullshit because luck has nothing to do with our current predicament.  A more honest approach would be to recognise that teams with more quality in their playing squad and organisation both on and off the park will inevitably be in a better place than ourselves.  Airdrie are such a team and even when reduced to ten men their kept their shape and made sound tactical decisions, as we looked our usual random selves with the utterly baffling decision at 2-2 to withdraw Paton and with it his defensive cover in midfield.

The most depressing aspect for ourselves is that irrespective of what division we end up in next season, nothing will really change - it will be more of the same.  Remain in Division One and we'll be nailed on for the drop, whilst dropping down to Division two could worryingly see us head down the path trod by Brechin and Cowdenbeath.

But good luck to Airdrie, you've earned your shot.

I thought there was no lack of effort from the players today but we lacked the quality needed to beat one of the best sides in the division. Although there were times when players were wildly out of position. I said to my mate that it was like Faz was trying to play total football which is never going to work for a team like us. Unless there was an injury to Paton, I think Carsy should've come off instead of him. He's been off the boil for a while and looked dead on his feet towards the end. He shouldn't be involved much in the last two games imo.

After we equalised, it seemed there would be only one winner especially as Airdrie were defending with all ten players and had no outball. Only now can I see that they were biding their time. A tactical masterclass from Murrinho.

19 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

You are easily one of the worst Airdrie posters on this site. The ironic thing is that you really, REALLY can't do the type of trolling you attempt incessantly, while simultaneously thinking that you are doing a bang up job of it. 

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

The game at new year was a bit rubbish but that’s three games this season between the teams that have been absolute nonsense. They’re great fun, especially as we’re generally on the winning side, but hopefully we won’t need to play each other next season as my stress levels can’t handle another season of that.

We started well, keeping possession and playing at a good tempo. Two goals in quick succession was great and very well deserved as we were dominant and had Dumbarton pinned back for the opening half hour to the point Kalvin Orsi barely got out of a right back position. After that, Dumbarton seemed to spark into life and caused a few problems before getting the goal from a set-piece. In Arsene Wenger style I didn’t see the sending off so can’t comment on it too much but Frizzell seemed adamant it wasn’t a red, one to watch back on the highlights. 

Airdrie were weirdly open in the second half, it was as if we never replaced Frizzell and just went with two in midfield and wide players. That led to Dumbarton playing through us and us ending up pinned back to the point Gallagher was basically inside our own box. I thought Murray should have changed to a narrow midfield three at that point with Smith going up front, as we’ve seen pace in behind can cause Buchanan problems, but instead we brought on Afolabi who literally made us worse. I’ve tried to like him but ultimately he barely wins any headers, doesn’t press and runs like the winds blowing against him. A better team would probably have scored a winner against us but we managed to hold out and Allan did really well to grab the winner. That goal was the perfect example of what Allan is useful for and for all the forward type players Dumbarton had on the pitch at various stages today, I don’t think any of them are as useful as Jordan Allan. Great scenes for the winner though the referee played on far longer than I expected at the end, to the point I was quite concerned we’d concede again and I’d look like a fool for telling Eric Phillips where to go after the winner, but thankfully we held out. I think that was a big win ahead of the play-offs. Up against it after the sending off, against a team we’ve struggled against this season and with a few regulars out injured, yet we managed to battle to grind out a win and keep our momentum going. The difference in our response, Murray included, between today and the 2-2 game after Sam Wardrop’s (remember him?) sending off earlier in the season is night and day.

On Dumbarton, I saw them last week and they were excellent in the first half, pressing really aggressively and not giving Peterhead a moments peace. They were pretty much the opposite of that in the first half an hour today. Incredibly passive, no real urgency to get forward and also no real plan for stopping Easton and Frizzell. Once they went 2-0 down they had to open up and they looked a lot better, MacLean caused a few problems as usual and Currie was forced into a few good saves. As I said above, a better team would have beaten us today but as we’ve seen all season with Dumbarton, when they’re on top they lack a clinical striker and are always prone to conceding a few goals.

Another win, first half hour we were superb Easton. Frizz, McCabe toying with sons, Patterson running amok at left wing bsck, we were a delight o watch,  slack marking at a free kick where the big centre conned the ref.. 2 -1,  then Frizz harshly redcarded,      Second half we sat deep with 10,  Murray took too long to stiffen the midfield, Dylan was more or less a one man midfield for spells in the 2nd half with McCabe playing so deep,  Devenne came on and we  began to get possession and get Dumbarton turning again..

2 games to go and I think I is imperative to rest Easton, Smith, Gall they put in a shift every week,   get them in the best condition for the playoffs,    injuries have a habit of appearing in the playoffs,  we need as much of our squad with games in the legs before they start...

It felt like today just about summed up our season. We're a good team when we go at teams. We're not a good enough team defensively to play it tight and try and nick a 1-0/2-1. And we don't have the quality Airdrie have going forward. So when it comes down to a who can outscore who type scenario then their quality attacking players against our iffy defence was only going to have one outcome.

That being said though, I didn't think we were bad defensively today. George Stanger was, for my money, the best player in a Sons shirt on the park. And arguably second only to the brilliant Dylan Easton across both teams. He barely put a foot wrong defensively and his use of the ball in the second-half was superb. He played some quality passes into our forwards, whipped in some good crosses and scored a good goal. Regardless of what division we are in next year, I would like to see Faz trying to tie him down on a permanent deal. I like him a lot as a centre-half.

I thought Paddy Boyle also had a really solid game. I was very critical of him earlier in the season, but in recent weeks I've been impressed by him. Whilst hooking Paton was a massive turning point, swapping Boyle for Wylde was also something that weakened us.

But for 87 minutes or so of decent defending we gift Airdrie two goals with howlers. Paul Paton for the second, and Gregor Buchanan for the winner. And that is exactly why we are where we are. 

I couldn't fault the effort or the desire of the players at all. I thought every single one of them ran themselves into the ground for the team. It must be utterly demoralising for the attacking guys to see the jerseys being sold on a regular basis by those behind them. I posted it on our own thread, but we basically have to score three goals to win a game most weeks. And that's never going to end well.

Airdrie played right into our hands after the red card. Like us I thought they looked far better going forward than at the back. So when they sat in and invited pressure it was only ever a matter of time before we scored. Then all hell broke loose as both teams played without a midfield and just lumped everything forward. The last 10 minutes were absolutely wild - encapsulated by us leaving four up for a corner. I've never seen anything like it.

As BBPF says I'd be happy to see Airdrie go up. I love Ian Murray. I love Bryan Prunty and Scott Agnew. And I feel nothing but jealousy seeing them in a dugout together. Likewise I like the way Airdrie play, and their squad has a host of players I admire. The job Muzz has done has been first class, and I'm really pleased he's rebuilt his reputation after a dodgy six months at St Mirren.

I'll leave the last word for, as is always the case in Sons v Airdrie games, the referee. I like Greg Aitken, I think he's a good referee. But - on first viewing - I think he got three major decisions wrong today. I don't think Adam Frizzell's red card was a red. I think we should've had a penalty in the first-half for handball. And I think we should've had a penalty in the second-half for the challenge on Callum Wilson (who looked far more himself today, which was very pleasing).

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see the highlights. But, at the time, all three decisions looked wrong.

25 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It felt like today just about summed up our season. We're a good team when we go at teams. We're not a good enough team defensively to play it tight and try and nick a 1-0/2-1. And we don't have the quality Airdrie have going forward. So when it comes down to a who can outscore who type scenario then their quality attacking players against our iffy defence was only going to have one outcome.

That being said though, I didn't think we were bad defensively today. George Stanger was, for my money, the best player in a Sons shirt on the park. And arguably second only to the brilliant Dylan Easton across both teams. He barely put a foot wrong defensively and his use of the ball in the second-half was superb. He played some quality passes into our forwards, whipped in some good crosses and scored a good goal. Regardless of what division we are in next year, I would like to see Faz trying to tie him down on a permanent deal. I like him a lot as a centre-half.

I thought Paddy Boyle also had a really solid game. I was very critical of him earlier in the season, but in recent weeks I've been impressed by him. Whilst hooking Paton was a massive turning point, swapping Boyle for Wylde was also something that weakened us.

But for 87 minutes or so of decent defending we gift Airdrie two goals with howlers. Paul Paton for the second, and Gregor Buchanan for the winner. And that is exactly why we are where we are. 

I couldn't fault the effort or the desire of the players at all. I thought every single one of them ran themselves into the ground for the team. It must be utterly demoralising for the attacking guys to see the jerseys being sold on a regular basis by those behind them. I posted it on our own thread, but we basically have to score three goals to win a game most weeks. And that's never going to end well.

Airdrie played right into our hands after the red card. Like us I thought they looked far better going forward than at the back. So when they sat in and invited pressure it was only ever a matter of time before we scored. Then all hell broke loose as both teams played without a midfield and just lumped everything forward. The last 10 minutes were absolutely wild - encapsulated by us leaving four up for a corner. I've never seen anything like it.

As BBPF says I'd be happy to see Airdrie go up. I love Ian Murray. I love Bryan Prunty and Scott Agnew. And I feel nothing but jealousy seeing them in a dugout together. Likewise I like the way Airdrie play, and their squad has a host of players I admire. The job Muzz has done has been first class, and I'm really pleased he's rebuilt his reputation after a dodgy six months at St Mirren.

I'll leave the last word for, as is always the case in Sons v Airdrie games, the referee. I like Greg Aitken, I think he's a good referee. But - on first viewing - I think he got three major decisions wrong today. I don't think Adam Frizzell's red card was a red. I think we should've had a penalty in the first-half for handball. And I think we should've had a penalty in the second-half for the challenge on Callum Wilson (who looked far more himself today, which was very pleasing).

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see the highlights. But, at the time, all three decisions looked wrong.

Analysis of the game is pretty much spot on.

Do you think you'll be able to keep a hold of Callum Wilson if you are relegated to league 2? He looks a cracking wee player and I'm a bit bamboozled as to why he wasn't starting.

I think Airdrie will appeal the red card, Frizzell has been an absolute quality aye for us this year.

Will be interesting to see how you get on in the play offs though.

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

Analysis of the game is pretty much spot on.

Do you think you'll be able to keep a hold of Callum Wilson if you are relegated to league 2? He looks a cracking wee player and I'm a bit bamboozled as to why he wasn't starting.

I think Airdrie will appeal the red card, Frizzell has been an absolute quality aye for us this year.

Will be interesting to see how you get on in the play offs though.

Wilson is unplayable on his day. He's also tied down for next season, so we'll have him unless someone is prepared to pay - which was some cracking business from the club. He's only 18 too.

His only issue is that he's been glued to the bench since about January. He won POTM in September and then his form dipped a bit. Even in his cameos from the bench between December and March he looked like a guy without any confidence whatsoever. In recent weeks though he's started to show signs of having his mojo back. Hopefully he gets a couple of starts in the coming weeks and can build on that. Because he could be a big player for us in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

That's not a very nice way to speak to a team you need to do you a favour next week.

There is no chance of any favours being done. It's also a bit off when one of your directors tells us on his way out the stand "enjoy these minutes because we'll be handing Cove the title next weekend"