Dundee vs. St Johnstone - Post-split edition

16 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Fairly certain Rooney swung for Adam in the first half, and Rudden had his kick-out in the second 

Was that when they fell to the floor? Rooney basically elbow dropped someone but can't remember who. Some of the more uptight Scottish refs wouldn't have allowed it. 

Agree with others saying Saints settled for a draw late on. Terrible mindset. I was seething when Zander clutched the ball and then fell to the ground to eat up some more time. This was a Saints team settling for the play-offs. The prospect of catching St Mirren would have become very real had we won, now I doubt it can be done.

19 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Who is hounding Booth? He's a championship player at best who gets done for pace five times a game. We are basically a championship team so it makes sense our second choice is championship quality (first choice basically is too). Any better and they'd want to leave. 

My regret isn't that Booth is playing now with Gallagher out but that Devine wasn't give a fair chance to see him out the squad in the first half of the season, after galatasary. 

It doesn't change the fact Booth is a hardworking cart horse. As is Brown. 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that assessment, but I do feel that he's often unfairly singled out when the description of 'Championship at best' applies to virtually the entire squad. Most of the others are carthorses without the virtue of being hard-working. 

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Agree with others saying Saints settled for a draw late on. Terrible mindset. I was seething when Zander clutched the ball and then fell to the ground to eat up some more time. This was a Saints team settling for the play-offs. The prospect of catching St Mirren would have become very real had we won, now I doubt it can be done.

But remember that's definitely on the players, no way that's the manger's instructions. Absolutely not. No chance. 

The longer the game went on, the greater the stick or twist dilemma became.

“It was a really hard one,” said Davidson. “Do you want the point or do you go for the three?

“I could sense some hesitation from my players there.

“Once we scored we went back on our heels a little bit. I’d like to see us more on the front foot, playing positive football.

Tried to avoid criticising the manager too much, but this is laughable.

He seems to be putting across that he wanted us to push on and win the game, but the players sat back for a draw? Unbelievable on a number of levels.

The way we set up and played in the first half was an insult to the tremendous support of the fans. That constant passing around the defence and punt was pathetic. Disgraceful. Spineless. Clueless. Aimless. Pointless. Pea hearted. We pulled it back with Rooney’s goal but reverted to the same first half garbage as if getting a point was some great achievement. CD may be our most successful manager but he isn’t out best ever - he isn’t even a good manager. Tactics, substitutions, loyalty to a system and certain players, all negatives. He has to go. We can’t defend our way to premier league survival or championship promotion next year. And we can’t keep watching this dreadful formation, lack of goals and lack of entertainment. Thank goodness for the FCU.

Edited by andrewh

27 minutes ago, andrewh said:

CD may be our most successful manager but he isn’t out best ever - he isn’t even a good manager. Tactics, substitutions, loyalty to a system and certain players, all negatives. He has to go. 

Have to agree with all of this. Its not just one thing he's bad at, it's absolutely all of it. Subs always wrong. Team choices regularly wrong. Tactics

Other than winning cups in empty stadiums he has nothing. That was dece to be fair

If/when he's sacked, we are going to get slaughtered by ignoramuses asking what we expect etc... 

The answer of course being the will to live not being drained out of us with this style of football because, remarkably enough when it comes to St Johnstone, winning isn't everything. 

Edited by Radford

To add, the football under Tommy Wright wasn't always great (although was a lot better than jealous outsiders would have you believe) but his teams always had at least something about them, something you could get behind. 

This squad and team of Davidson's is the beigest blancmange going. 

Edited by Radford

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

To add, the football under Tommy Wright wasn't always great (although was a lot better than jealous outsiders would have you believe) but his teams always had at least something about them, something you could get behind. 

This squad and team of Davidson's is the beigest blancmange going. 

Watched highlights of a couple of games under Tommy Wright yesterday and was amazed to see two actual wingers on the park driving at defenders. It was fulfilling. Kennedy in particular was a joy to watch 

A point felt fair, Dundee best in the first half, we had the better of the second.

As always there's a nagging feeling we could be doing better with this group of players though, which sounds daft considering we are on a good run results wise. I think we could've beaten Dundee twice, and Hibs at Easter Road, since the break if we'd shown more adventure in those games. 

Cleary beginning to disappoint me on the ball, he was brave for Dundalk and regularly ran into midfield with it but that seems to have vanished from his game. Had a few chances in the first half to run with it due to Dundees shape but just turned back to give it to Gordon.

We know Booth needs someone to link with and it's been clear since Wotherspoon got injured that nobody was filling that void, but for whatever reason that issue just gets ignored. Same with CMs pushing high and wide when our CBs get the ball. Kelty figured that out and stunted us, and County killed us at McDiarmid with their set up which was identical, but we still play the same way. Almost every game you'll see opposing wingers sitting high on our "wide" CBs to pin them while the WBs go high and the CMs follow them, means our whole system is based around a big diagonal and winning the second ball, and one of those you're wanting to battle to win a 50/50 second ball is Crawford.

Improved after half time because Dundee completely retreated and Rooney was brave enough to drive us forwards, but felt the game was screaming out for someone to run at Dundee after we equalised. Could see they were utterly rattled for a short spell after but our pressure never came, needed someone to either physically dominate or make runs in behind to exploit the half yard they'd lost, but we got May floating about on a wing avoiding battles. Too many passengers in our squad compounded by us not playing to their strengths.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A point felt fair, Dundee best in the first half, we had the better of the second.

As always there's a nagging feeling we could be doing better with this group of players though, which sounds daft considering we are on a good run results wise. I think we could've beaten Dundee twice, and Hibs at Easter Road, since the break if we'd shown more adventure in those games. 

Cleary beginning to disappoint me on the ball, he was brave for Dundalk and regularly ran into midfield with it but that seems to have vanished from his game. Had a few chances in the first half to run with it due to Dundees shape but just turned back to give it to Gordon.

We know Booth needs someone to link with and it's been clear since Wotherspoon got injured that nobody was filling that void, but for whatever reason that issue just gets ignored. Same with CMs pushing high and wide when our CBs get the ball. Kelty figured that out and stunted us, and County killed us at McDiarmid with their set up which was identical, but we still play the same way. Almost every game you'll see opposing wingers sitting high on our "wide" CBs to pin them while the WBs go high and the CMs follow them, means our whole system is based around a big diagonal and winning the second ball, and one of those you're wanting to battle to win a 50/50 second ball is Crawford.

Improved after half time because Dundee completely retreated and Rooney was brave enough to drive us forwards, but felt the game was screaming out for someone to run at Dundee after we equalised. Could see they were utterly rattled for a short spell after but our pressure never came, needed someone to either physically dominate or make runs in behind to exploit the half yard they'd lost, but we got May floating about on a wing avoiding battles. Too many passengers in our squad compounded by us not playing to their strengths.

If we can see this, other teams see it, how the f**k can't the imbicele who puts the cones out?

Edited by tree house tam

On 23/04/2022 at 23:17, Theyellowbox said:

A draw was probably a fair result, but a bit of a joke when you have 2 managers willimg to accept a draw that in reality suits neither team. Can almost see why Daviddon might have tdken a draw pre game, but when Saints equalised, there was only one team going to score again, yet we sat back. For Dundee to be so passive was surprising and frankly welcome for Saints.

Charlie Adam just embarrassing himself now. Was a very talented player I'm his day, but the game is beyond him now.

Time will tell if it was points dropped by Saints. St Mirren next week is huge.

For Dundee, play like the first 30 mins or so in the next 4 games and maybe a chance of gaining enough points to maybe ovoid the drop. Lose one more game and I'd start planning for next season in the championship with a new manager and a clearing of the deadwood.

2 poor teams, who if both end up relegated cannot complain. 

I've been thinking for a while the Gods of Football will love it for us to win two trophies in a season then lose a playoff against "fairytale" part-timers the next. 

On 24/04/2022 at 06:17, Theyellowbox said:

For Dundee, play like the first 30 mins or so in the next 4 games and maybe a chance of gaining enough points to maybe ovoid the drop.

Zero chance, Saturday was our final chance to put pressure on the teams above us and we failed.  Relegated.