Top 5 The Beatles Songs

Steve_Wilkos

Almost as impossible a choice as a Top Five of anything in history could be.  I could spend hours , come up with about 10 different Top Fives, each record a work of genius, and still omit staggering pieces of brilliance. I can only say, that from a personal point of view, any Top Five that doesn't include either 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' or 'Tomorrow Never Knows' , and preferably both, is a wee bit on the wobbly side....Those two records, the same band, same lead singer, utterly stunning, totally different from the other, recorded barely two and a half years apart !!! Anyone asks you for proof that The Beatles are the greatest band that ever has and ever will be, just play them those two records..

6 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Almost as impossible a choice as a Top Five of anything in history could be.  I could spend hours , come up with about 10 different Top Fives, each record a work of genius, and still omit staggering pieces of brilliance. I can only say, that from a personal point of view, any Top Five that doesn't include either 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' or 'Tomorrow Never Knows' , and preferably both, is a wee bit on the wobbly side....Those two records, the same band, same lead singer, utterly stunning, totally different from the other, recorded barely two and a half years apart !!! Anyone asks you for proof that The Beatles are the greatest band that ever has and ever will be, just play them those two records..

When you consider the actual timescale of the album's being just over six years from 1963 to 1969 , the sheer scale and variety on them is amazing. The road towards Sgt Peppers gives you two of possibly their best albums ( imo ) , Rubber Soul and Revolver. 

• 1 month later...

There's a Place

I'll Be Back

A Taste of Honey

Tomorrow Never Knows

I Should Have Known Better

I could choose another top 5 (also including another 2 off the A Hard Day's Night album) that was just as good, but for me these are all absolutely sublime. Lennon's voice was amazing. A Taste of Honey is a cover but for me it's Paul's best vocal performance - to hear them playing it in some dance hall with a revolving glitterball in central Lancashire (or Dingwall!) in about 1962 would have been fantastic. There's a Place - the band is so incredibly tight, considering how quickly they recorded the album and also that Ringo was relatively new,  and with harmonica/harmonies that cut you up, it shows you how good they must have been in Hamburg.

On 14/04/2022 at 13:29, kennie makevin said:

any Top Five that doesn't include either 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'

I Want To Hold Your Hand is great but for me there are 2 problems - 1) I first encountered the song when Dollar did a crappy cover version of it, and 2) the clapping sound in the Beatles version really grates with me, I seriously think it was George Martin's biggest mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2022 at 00:46, rollstar said:

I Want To Hold Your Hand is great but for me there are 2 problems - 1) I first encountered the song when Dollar did a crappy cover version of it, and 2) the clapping sound in the Beatles version really grates with me, I seriously think it was George Martin's biggest mistake.

Linda was credited with "hand claps" on at least one Wings album, but I don't think that could have been her as The Beatles were famously a 4-piece band.

Extremely tough to choose. I could have put all 5 from the absolute banger that is The White Album.

Back in the USSR

While my Guitar Gently Weeps

Get Back (on the roof)

Tomorrow Never Knows

Here Comes the Sun

Dear Prudence

And Your Bird Can Sing

Tomorrow Never Knows

A Day In The Life

Is choosing the medley from side 2 of Abbey Road allowed?

Spoiler

Please no Hey Jude! :whistle

Edited by btb

On 02/06/2022 at 22:52, sugna said:

Linda was credited with "hand claps" on at least one Wings album, but I don't think that could have been her as The Beatles were famously a 4-piece band.

Yes, way too early for Linda to be around the Beatles.