Can we ever imagine a Scotland without the Old Firm?

2 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

You implied I don’t want Aberdeen to be competitive domestically. You made that up as I’ve said that is exactly what I want. And Hearts , And St Mirren And Hibs And Dundee United and so on and so on . 

No, you inferred that from my question.

Other than "selling out our stadium", where is the required extra finance to come from to reduce the gap with the Glasgow Derby teams?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's where you belong...

Yeh because wanting to improve the game in Scotland is just childish 

Youre happy with the Status Quo then?  Well I suppose it was your club bending over for Big Peter that got us here 

1 minute ago, AB1872 said:

Yeh because wanting to improve the game in Scotland is just childish 

Youre happy with the Status Quo then?  Well I suppose it was your club bending over for Big Peter that got us here 

Stop just making up shit.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

You'll have to explain why not?

The NBA is an international market with players from all over -- if that's what you're meaning by international?

Does any other basketball league offer comparable wages to the NBA? I'm guessing their wage cap is still way more than any other league can afford?

This might need a long answer but what is the difference in the wage cap structures between the US sports?

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Doesn't work in an international market. American sports can do that, but you can't really make it work in European football in a way that will meaningfully help competition.

The MLS has a wage structure and it still attracts players. It has found its level and I think the wage caps are moving up the way so they will continue to attract better players year on year.

There are countless ways to look at wage and transfer spends, you need to find a balance that allows you to be competitive with other leagues while creating your own competitive league. You would find your place in the food chain but is that not what happens anyway with no structure?

49 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

Nothing except for 2012 HTH

Which only established that the then existing TV deal required both of them, not that all TV deals must.

Furthermore, even that could exist without the 4 OF fixtures you highlighted as central.

I'm not HTH.  I'm here to expose you as an ignorant, prejudice ridden idiot.

56 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The tv money is probably the most fairly distributed income in everything. 

I'm not sure that I agree.

I think that the entire notion of prize money in professional team sport is flawed. All it really does is cement an order further.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Which only established that the then existing TV deal required both of them, not that all TV deals must.

Furthermore, even that could exist without the 4 OF fixtures you highlighted as central.

I'm not HTH.  I'm here to expose you as an ignorant, prejudice ridden idiot.

You’re not doing a very good job of it then. 

Everything I’ve said makes perfect sense and would improve the game across the board 

Itll never happen as we have too many diddy clubs who are perfectly happy with the status quo and who for decades kept other , more ambitious, clubs out the league system 

11 minutes ago, ahemps said:

The MLS has a wage structure and it still attracts players. It has found its level and I think the wage caps are moving up the way so they will continue to attract better players year on year.

There are countless ways to look at wage and transfer spends, you need to find a balance that allows you to be competitive with other leagues while creating your own competitive league. You would find your place in the food chain but is that not what happens anyway with no structure?

Any wage cap would be challenged in the courts

15 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Keep trotting out this “Old Firm” nonsense.

It died with Rangers in 2012.

Everyone knows that. 

Wake up and smell the buckfast.

5EE8B13C-E9F4-4DD7-9E74-E4E9D8219632.thumb.jpeg.6162c763b538f3aa575f194bd4840af6.jpeg

The Old Firm are vermin and sadly very much still with us. When one of Rangers or Celtic put forward proposals for a more equitable distribution of wealth in the SPLF resulting in Celtic & Rangers voting against each other I will revise my opinion. Until such time that happens their is still an 'Old Firm' however much pissing on the wind people like you indulge in.

4 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

You’re not doing a very good job of it then. 

Everything I’ve said makes perfect sense and would improve the game across the board 

Itll never happen as we have too many diddy clubs who are perfectly happy with the status quo and who for decades kept other , more ambitious, clubs out the league system 

You mean like you did in 2012?

11 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

Any wage cap would be challenged in the courts

There is a wage cap in La Liga.

There are wages structures in many sports in the UK and EU.

If the members vote for it then it could be applied.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not sure that I agree.

I think that the entire notion of prize money in professional team sport is flawed. All it really does is cement an order further.

tbf I didn’t say it was fair. I just said that the distribution of that particular income isn’t wildly unfair in comparison to others  or the source of the problem here. 

I know what you mean on prize money but I think it has a place. I just think it’s small fry compared to the fact certain clubs are drawing the vast majority of income from wholly owned income outside the pyramid. 

To answer the original question: Yes, frequently.

The domestic game would take an enormous financial hit, there would be no interest in a tv deal and the top tier clubs would lose out on their away grounds being filled multiple times a season, but clubs would adjust.

What would be left would be an unglamorous and financially poor league, but a highly competitive one. I personally don't give a f**k about European football or whether some pub in England has a Scottish game on it's tv, so I'm all for it.

I'm also curious to see how Rangers and Celtic would get on in the English Premiership or a European Super League.