Can we ever imagine a Scotland without the Old Firm?

9 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Professional teams?

I didn't get the source but I took it that it meant by top league teams. So after 3 Liga they didn't count. Take the 56 league teams divided by their population.

In Scotland it would be 42/5m roughly is 120k.

My figures weren't actually aimed at you.

4 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

You'll have to explain why not?

The NBA is an international market with players from all over -- if that's what you're meaning by international?

No, I mean Scottish clubs compete against clubs from dozens of other countries. Imposing a pay cap here would put our clubs at a disadvantage.

No league is going to choose to disadvantage itself, and some leagues would happily watch competitor leagues disadvantage themselves and pick up their players for a fiver more.

It just doesn't work. You'd need a Europe-wide salary cap, which is unworkable.

The NBA is its own competition. It can do what it wants with no damage.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

No, I mean Scottish clubs compete against clubs from dozens of other countries. Imposing a pay cap here would put our clubs at a disadvantage.

No league is going to choose to disadvantage itself, and some leagues would happily watch competitor leagues disadvantage themselves and pick up their players for a fiver more.

UEFA have just announced an update on FFP but , IMO, that will have little to no impact on our domestic game 

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Gotcha. Kind of silly of me not to realize that.

17 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

Without Rangers and Celtic there is no TV deal. The Tv companies even dictate our league structure as they insist on 4 OF games 

Which is a massive problem, being held to ransom for a shite TV deal, just to guarantee 4 OF game is pathetic. Take less money and play each other twice equals more competitive league IMO. You must get bored of playing Celtic 6 times a season.

All the doom and gloom prediction when Rangers died never happened, we still had a TV deal, all clubs survived the promised death of Scottish football.

Few years back after a trip to Gayfield I was chatting to a bloke (a staunch jakey tbh) in the pub. After saying I'd been to see Arbroath v Dunfermline he asked "yeh but who do you really support, Rangers or Celtic?". He genuinely couldn't believe my answer was just Dunfermline.

I'm sure fans of all other diddy teams can recount similar tales ad nauseum. While this is still the mentality we'll get nowhere.

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's only half an answer. Define more evenly.

Well obviously it goes down from 1st - 10th but without the Top 2  taking the vast majority of the money for themselves 

TV coverage more evenly spread giving other clubs more exposure rather than every Old Firm away game being on. The TV deal we have is really poor in comparison with many other countries. 

If you’re wanting exact numbers you can chase yersel . 

Clubs have to make more effort to maximise finances and a start would be to try and sell out more games. Livi do it and have a relatively decent record against OF clubs. 

Hopefully BBC Alba will pay lower leagues to broadcast their games. 

Seeding the League Cup should go as well. 

There is probably 101 ways we could work towards to improve our game as a whole. Wishing away the Old Firm cash cow isn’t one of them. Exploit the finances they can generate

A more competitive League with other clubs doing more in Europe will improve them

1 minute ago, AB1872 said:

Well obviously it goes down from 1st - 10th but without the Top 2  taking the vast majority of the money for themselves 

TV coverage more evenly spread giving other clubs more exposure rather than every Old Firm away game being on. The TV deal we have is really poor in comparison with many other countries. 

Clubs have to make more effort to maximise finances and a start would be to try and sell out more games. Livi do it and have a relatively decent record against OF clubs. 

There is probably 101 ways we could work towards to improve our game as a whole. Wishing away the Old Firm cash cow isn’t one of them. Exploit the finances they can generate

A more competitive League with other clubs doing more in Europe will improve them

There isn’t such a thing as the Old Firm. 

That charade finished in 2012.

D4C577EA-93CF-4E80-9863-682A7E632CF1.jpeg.e149134fc103bad01b74f76139af430e.jpeg

37 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Yeah, it's not the same thing.

Essentially solidifies the rich clubs' advantage.

That’s the way I see it. Stoke City are held back as their extremely generous and wealthy owners are restricted in what they can put into the club. 

Just now, SuperSaints1877 said:

There isn’t such a thing as the Old Firm. 

That charade finished in 2012.

D4C577EA-93CF-4E80-9863-682A7E632CF1.jpeg.e149134fc103bad01b74f76139af430e.jpeg

You’re even more boring than me and that takes some doing 

Save yourself the bother you’re going on ignore

26 minutes ago, Jammyp said:

Which is a massive problem, being held to ransom for a shite TV deal, just to guarantee 4 OF game is pathetic. Take less money and play each other twice equals more competitive league IMO. You must get bored of playing Celtic 6 times a season.

All the doom and gloom prediction when Rangers died never happened, we still had a TV deal, all clubs survived the promised death of Scottish football.

I was in total agreement right up to the end. If you remember the TV companies held out until they got Rangers games as well.. or something along those lines. 

I thought it was refreshing to see the lower league clubs getting more National exposure but no I don’t want to go through it again 

10 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

I'm not looking exact numbers, just something a bit more than "it goes down from 1st to 10th". Is this just TV money you're talking about, which is chicken feed.? What about your European millions being more equably distributed?