Players who have moved position with great success

On 07/04/2022 at 09:33, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I think Chris Sutton started out in England as a centre half but doubt he played there much for celtic, might have filled in there once or twice due to injuries to other players, cant remember.

Was there not an Old Firm game or a big European game where he ended starting in defence due to a big injury crisis?  I vaguely remember that.

Maybe a bit cheaty as he probably played there for Dinamo, but good old ‘Arry thought Modric was too small to play centre mid at spurs and started him on the wing, before realising how fucking stupid that was.

Messi’s also back there now (ish) but started as a right winger before having a fairly successful spell up front for Barcelona.

Pretty sure Darren fletcher started as a right mid at Man U before moving centrally as well.

Gordon Rae and Willie Miller spent at least a season playing as a centre forward in their early days of professional football.

Richard Gough was a right back for most of his time at Tannadice then moved to centre back when down at Tottenham and played well into his forties.

James Fowler started as a winger for us, then spent several years as a fairly rubbish right-back, before eventually finding a home as a very good central midfielder. He literally played every position for Killie, including going in goals for about 20 minutes in a defeat at Ibrox.

On 13/04/2022 at 17:57, Highland Capital said:

Ross Tokely signed for Caley Thistle from Huntly as a striker.  He gradually moved to centre-mid and then wide right before moving to right back and then moving to centre-back in his last couple of seasons with us.  Played left-back a couple of times as well.

I’m sure Tokely wore every number for us in the lower leagues bar one number seem to remember him saying something along those lines. 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’m sure Tokely wore every number for us in the lower leagues bar one number seem to remember him saying something along those lines. 

He wore #9 in one game after he made 500 appearances or something as it was the one number he'd never worn.

I know the thread title is moved position but in his time with Caley Thistle, in the course of three seasons, Danny Williams played at left-back, left wing, right wing, up-front, as a 10 and in central/defensive midfield.

Edited by Highland Capital

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2022 at 19:18, captainkev said:

Didn't Hartson fill in at centre-half a couple of times at Celtic too?

I think Dion Dublin did for a bit. I can't imagine Hartson playing at centre half!

Edited by Darren