Players who have moved position with great success

On 07/04/2022 at 07:04, VTAFerguson said:

On Saturday, Lewis Mayo was shifted into midfield and did really well. I wrote a piece about it and had the pleasure of speaking to Thistle legend Davie Irons about him. 

Davie was famously moved from midfield into defence by John Lambie so it was really interesting to hear his thoughts. 

Have a read, if you like. Feedback welcome: 

https://link.medium.com/KubcKnsJYob

Any other memorable changes of position from the world of Scottish football?

Another example from Firhill - Paul Paton was converted into a DM which totally changed his career. 

Mayo played quite a bit in centre mid for Dunfermline. 

Patterson started off as a right back for Hearts I remember. 

Gareth Bale going from fullback to winger is an obvious one.  Also Alan Smith (the guy who played for Leeds and Man United in the early 2000's) went from being a striker for Leeds to being an effective Centre-Mid (before his horrific injuries).

Gary Harkins was brought in as a centre half for us to begin with before becoming the midfield maestro he's known for today. Not quite the same calibre of player but Bastian Schweinsteiger played out wide a lot when he was younger.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Didier Agathe

If my memory is right he played as a striker for both Raith and Hibs before coming to us, ended up a right wingback

Aye we played him upfront. Scored 4 goals for us in his short term spell with us.  McLeish made the wrong decision not to extend his deal. 

Jordan McGhee's been a bit of a weird one for us. Signed as a CB, won player's player of the season his first season at Dens.

Regressed in defence last season and was struggling for games, then he was suddenly converted into a box-to-box midfielder (where I believe he started off at with Hearts) and unlocked the key for us going forward. His play and playoff goals were key to us going up.

Came into this season thinking he was a midfielder, but we quickly realised he couldn't do near as well a tier up, he's moved back to CB where he's now a regular starter again.

I wonder if we'll see roaming MF McGhee again, but considering the quick change back I find it curious.

Sean Clare is the one that sticks out for me at Hearts. Signed as an attacking midfielder who we apparently staved off some big teams to sign, and looked miles off it when he joined. Was slotted in on the wings at times too and looked better wide but still not great. Then he had to slot in at right back for a game and I think he had a mare, but after that, actually turned into a very competent right back.

By the time the season drew to an early close for Covid, he was a shining light in a poor Hearts team and I was quite gutted to see him go. 

Ross Tokely signed for Caley Thistle from Huntly as a striker.  He gradually moved to centre-mid and then wide right before moving to right back and then moving to centre-back in his last couple of seasons with us.  Played left-back a couple of times as well.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Ross Tokely signed for Caley Thistle from Huntly as a striker.  He gradually moved to centre-mid and then wide right before moving to right back and then moving to centre-back in his last couple of seasons with us.  Played left-back a couple of times as well.

Currently playing somewhere in the midfield for St Duthus in the NCL.

106.jpg106.jpg

https://www.stduthusfc.co.uk/player.php?id=106

Not Scotland but... Easter Monday, 1936. Modern managers might not appreciate the schedule of 3 games over the weekend. Luton found themselves short of strikers and stuck Joe Payne up front. He'd not played for the first team that season and never as a striker. He scored 10 that day, still a league record.