Adding calories to Restaurant Menus

English restaurants now have to add calories to menu items (like they do in Starbucks here already).

Not sure it would particularly bother me (esp if I had left the reading glasses at home........) as we all know the massive pizza is probably bad for you, and the rocket salad with no dressing is less calorific.

Will this make any difference to chubster Scots?

It still makes me laugh that the National Obesity council guy is called Tam Fry 

Bake Off Giggle GIF by PBS

I’ve no idea how calories work, how they are measured, why they are measured and what the fucking point in them is.

Imagine going out for your tea and making the decision based on some random numbers plonked down next to the description. 

Get off your arse and do some exercise ffs.

Let me ponder if my plan for Saturday will be affected in any way by knowing the calorific content - lager & lime, mixed pakora, four poppadoms & spicy onions, tandoori mixed grill, basmati rice, gulab jamin & ice cream, coffee….

Nope. Rock ‘n roll.

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I’ve no idea how calories work, how they are measured, why they are measured and what the fucking point in them is.

Imagine going out for your tea and making the decision based on some random numbers plonked down next to the description. 

Get off your arse and do some exercise ffs.

Aye but there's a lot of ignorance bout calories and exercise. A game of fives on average burns 500 calories. Most folk won't do that. A 2 mile walk burns about 200 calories. 

It's been shown that the most efficient way to lose weight is to count calories. How many calories is in a teaspoon of olive oil? 150. Folk who think they're eating salad and being healthy might want to know that there's 500 calories in it. It means they can make an informed choice and be more in control of what they eat. 

Not everyone gets to be an effortless adonis like you Mullarkay ☺️

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Let me ponder if my plan for Saturday will be affected in any way by knowing the calorific content - lager & lime, mixed pakora, four poppadoms & spicy onions, tandoori mixed grill, basmati rice, gulab jamin & ice cream, coffee….

Nope. Rock ‘n roll.

Lime?  Cut that healthy shit out and the lager will taste better

It'll have very little impact - obesity's caused by consistently overeating in everyday life rather than having a pig-out on an occasional basis in a restaurant.

If you subsist on turkey twizzlers, multipacks of crisps and chocolate hobnobs six days a week there's your problem right there rather than say an Indian restaurant using too much ghee the one time a week you eat there.

34 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nope. Rock ‘n roll.

Looks like there's about 4,000 calories there. About double the recommended.

So if you starve through Friday, and grow an extra a*sehole by Sunday, you should be OK.

should start doing this for takeaways in glasgow, might help stop them shoving a sausage supper down their gob every night after an egg, haggis, black pudding roll for breakfast.

Carefree attitude to cholesterol that lot.

Edited by red23

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

The benefit will be (some) restaurants using healthier cooking methods rather than people selecting food options based on calories. 

This usually involves less salt, which you have to add yourself at the table.

If you have to add stuff to your meal at the table the chef is doing it wrong.

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Nope. Rock ‘n roll.

There won't be a worse thing posted in this thread than this.