Queens vs Thistle - Friday night football - 8th April 2022

We looked better against Arbroath, I would be happy to see the same team line up in this one. 
We can’t be dropping many more points if we are realistically wanting to stay in the top four.

6 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

We looked better against Arbroath, I would be happy to see the same team line up in this one. 
We can’t be dropping many more points if we are realistically wanting to stay in the top four.

Away win. We’re going down unfortunately 

Hopefully Raith lose to the Pars midweek, and this will be an opportunity to put ourselves six points clear. I thought that Queens looked quite good in spells yesterday, but the finishing was abysmal as was some of the defending. 

Play like we did against Arbroath and I think we’ll win here. Play like we did against Morton, Hamilton or Dunfermline and Queens hopes of the great escape will be getting a monumental boost.

Guest Flash
22 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Hopefully Raith lose to the Pars midweek, and this will be an opportunity to put ourselves six points clear. I thought that Queens looked quite good in spells yesterday, but the finishing was abysmal as was some of the defending. 

Play like we did against Arbroath and I think we’ll win here. Play like we did against Morton, Hamilton or Dunfermline and Queens hopes of the great escape will be getting a monumental boost.

Earlier in the season some of our fans would have been saying we played well, there were more positives than negatives and if we’d taken our chances we could have won. I think everybody now realises that we have the classic relegation team - can’t score when on top and concede very easily.
This game will just be another one ticked off before relegation is confirmed. 

Looking at the remaining fixtures in as optimistic a way as possible, I think if Dunfermline beat Rovers on Wednesday then the worst case for them will be needing to beat us on the final day. If they win and we lose on Friday I can't see any way back for us*.

I actually thought McGrory and Cochrane worked well in the middle for large parts yesterday. My biggest issue with the midfield was the right of midfield. There was absolutely nothing in front of Gibson. Connolly was rank rotten all game so I don't know if it was supposed to be him. It needs sorted for Friday though. The defence was ok in the first half but went to shit after the second goal. And if we create any chances we need to take them. I expect Cameron will start so it'll be a lot more route 1 fitba no doubt.

It really needs to be a win regardless of the Dunfermline score.

*I can't see any way back anyway but I'm trying to look at it in a positive way.

I was quite impressed with Queens during the first half of the cup final, and they've already beaten us 2-0 up at Palmerston so I think this will be a fairly tight game. I'd go with the same starting XI that we saw on Saturday minus Cammy Smith, even if Docherty is back (if so, he'll start) I'd keep Mayo in the CDM role with Tunji and Holt at CB. Hopefully a week of training does players like Brian Graham some good, McCall suggested a few hadn't done a minute of training prior to the Arbroath match. Hopefully Dunfermline can do us a favour midweek but not convinced of that given they've been gash for most of the season (except in their recent visit from us naturally). 

Where I'm at now ...

Head - tells me that its over, we don't have enough quality, we knew that from the start of the season, so just embrace relegation, de-stress and hope we use the close-season to wipe the slate clean and start afresh with a new strategy and bin this cheap-as-chips sign a completely new squad every season lark and bring in some quality.

Heart - well, hope springs eternal doesn't it?  That said if The Pars win on Wednesday I think its over.  If The Pars lose on Wednesday and we fail to beat Partick on Friday then its also over.  Now before someone starts lecturing me on possible arithmetical outcomes, this is my gut feel of the real world outcomes and nothing to do with arithmetic.

The lifelong supporter in me will of course keep clutching at straws as long as I can spot one ...

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Having gone 11 games without any of our strikers scoring ...

Well, well ... if ever there was a time to be playing a deflated and under-performing Queens team ...

This game really is a must win I would think for us. We played well for abut 60 mins in the final but it has been the same story all season. Poor quality finishing and when we do not take they chances we really struggle to not let the opposition score. What I did like about Sunday was the limitation on punts up the park as had 2 small guys upfront. Connelly was not in the game at all for me. He is wasted out on the right. I would have thought it would have been more beneficial to have him and Roy up top with Paton on the right. Cochrane and McGrory had good first halves. How many times have they actually played together as AJ always like to play one or other if I remember with all the tinkering. Cameron is available for Friday night but do we think WG will bring him back in? Hopefully Raith can at least draw with Dunfermline to keep us close. 

Edited by Manwithnoball

Guest Flash
24 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

This game really is a must win I would think for us. We played well for abut 60 mins in the final but it has been the same story all season. Poor quality finishing and when we do not take they chances we really struggle to not let the opposition score. What I did like about Sunday was the limitation on punts up the park as had 2 small guys upfront. Connelly was not in the game at all for me. He is wasted out on the right. I would have thought it would have been more beneficial to have him and Roy up top with Paton on the right. Cochrane and McGrory had good first halves. How many times have they actually played together as AJ always like to play one or other if I remember with all the tinkering. Cameron and Gordon are available for Friday night but do we think WG will bring them back in? Hopefully Raith can at least draw with Dunfermline to keep us close. 

Agree, especially that Connelly should not have played on the right. Gordon isn’t available on Friday, though.
The other thing I would mention is Gibson said in his interview that Murray and him said at HT the next goal would probably win it. I wonder if comments like that at HT contribute to the team falling away in games where they concede in the second half. I mean, there were still 20 mins to go when we were only 1 down, yet it looked like they had zero belief that they could get back into it. This has been a feature this season and probably one of the reasons why I’ve got zero belief they can stay up. I just think effectively saying at HT that you’re probably going to lose if you concede the next goal isn’t very clever.

On 05/04/2022 at 11:34, Manwithnoball said:

This game really is a must win I would think for us. We played well for abut 60 mins in the final but it has been the same story all season. Poor quality finishing and when we do not take they chances we really struggle to not let the opposition score. What I did like about Sunday was the limitation on punts up the park as had 2 small guys upfront. Connelly was not in the game at all for me. He is wasted out on the right. I would have thought it would have been more beneficial to have him and Roy up top with Paton on the right. Cochrane and McGrory had good first halves. How many times have they actually played together as AJ always like to play one or other if I remember with all the tinkering. Cameron is available for Friday night but do we think WG will bring him back in? Hopefully Raith can at least draw with Dunfermline to keep us close. 

Raith lost 2-0 at Dunfermline....

Guest Flash
11 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Raith lost 2-0 at Dunfermline....

Thanks. If only there was some other way to find out football scores. Somebody should invent that.

Just beating Raith next week in what is shaping up to be an all time worst game of football ever would probably be enough to get us in the playoffs. This is very last chance saloon for Queens so probably 1-0 to them. 

Edited by Fuctifano

8 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

This is very last chance saloon for Queens

Nope .... that ship departed East End Park earlier this evening.

Edited by Otis Blue