Dundee United v Dundee

13 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

No my comments were in response to that Fud Twinkle who said he hoped Dundee would go down and never come back. Whilst my Arab mates have a wee laugh at our predicament most of them actually hope our visit to the Championship is short lived and we can enjoy the type of day we had out on Saturday past with pre and post match beers and banter. There is a substantial element of your support however that are obsessed with Dundee (and yes I know, we have supporters who do the same in reverse) and express their desire for Dundee to disappear. It borders on obsession with some I know (not mates) with FTD number plates etc. The whole FTD thing genuinely puzzles me if we're not in your heads.

The history books (the real ones that is, not those that started after 1980) show where the dominance in the city was for the first 70 years of your existence. It strikes me that some of you can't stomach the thought of that ever returning, however unlikely that may be right now

I'll agree with most of that, but there were times I recall in the 'sixties and 'seventies where United were the better side in the city for a few seasons at a time. Moreso in the 'seventies right enough.

Edit, as I checked the tables for those years, the 'sixties after Dundee won the title were close in terms of performances, 'seventies United were in a different league much of the time.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

57 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

No my comments were in response to that Fud Twinkle who said he hoped Dundee would go down and never come back. Whilst my Arab mates have a wee laugh at our predicament most of them actually hope our visit to the Championship is short lived and we can enjoy the type of day we had out on Saturday past with pre and post match beers and banter. There is a substantial element of your support however that are obsessed with Dundee (and yes I know, we have supporters who do the same in reverse) and express their desire for Dundee to disappear. It borders on obsession with some I know (not mates) with FTD number plates etc. The whole FTD thing genuinely puzzles me if we're not in your heads.

The history books (the real ones that is, not those that started after 1980) show where the dominance in the city was for the first 70 years of your existence. It strikes me that some of you can't stomach the thought of that ever returning, however unlikely that may be right now

In all honesty the best thing for football in the city of Dundee would be for one of the clubs to die.  Over a couple of generations this would see a significantly increased support for the other club which would make us more on a par with the financial resources of Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts.

I do not the club that dies to be Dundee United.

The views expressed above, whilst logical, may also be a wind up.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I take it you missed all the "Get Doon, Stay Doon, Die" stuff in 2016?

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I take it you missed all the "Get Doon, Stay Doon, Die" stuff in 2016?

No I remember it well and am the first to admit that I gave it tight to a lot of Utd fans I know when you got relegated. I had a laugh at your relegation but at no time hoped your club would die, we came close to that twice and I wouldn't want anyone to face the prospect of losing their team, not even you lot. 

8 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

No I remember it well and am the first to admit that I gave it tight to a lot of Utd fans I know when you got relegated. I had a laugh at your relegation but at no time hoped your club would die, we came close to that twice and I wouldn't want anyone to face the prospect of losing their team, not even you lot. 

I've only met a few Dees and Arabs who appear to genuinely want the other side to die. 

Fuds.

As we've seen on this and other Dundee Derby threads of the past, theres a minority of utter loonies and the rest appear to be good folk. Its usually a banter filled fixture without the hatred, bile and sectarian shite that comes with other derbies in this country. 

Its been said before, but I genuinely look forward to the derbies and if Dundee went to the wall I would really feel for the fans. My other halfs family are all Dees and getting it right up them is usually more entertaining than the Derby itself.

Its shite when we're not in the same league so f**k having no more derbies. 

Long term, I'd definitely feel sad if United died and feel for their fans. It's not something I'd ever wish a football fan to go through.

Short term, the wummery would be top notch and I'd have my dancing shoes out as the DULT thread would be fantastic.