Dundee United v Dundee

36 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

What a load of shite, seen plenty of opposition teams do that at Dens this season.

Thank you.

That’s perhaps because every team knows they will get a lot of free shots on goal at Dens!

Seriously, though, that sort of exercise is very much not in the pro licence coaching badges that are pushed at Largs. I’m not claiming that to be a good or bad thing. And I am certainly not saying that the Largs-type coaching manual is the only way to go, or even that it deserves respect. The oft-heard criticism is that coaches are made into robots.

Each to his own beliefs on that one.

The criticisms of that manner of shooting practice are, I believe, that there is too much “down time” for the players waiting in the queue to take their shots; and the instances of players being allowed an unchallenged one-two then a shot on goal are rare in professional football. So it isn’t a true in-game scenario, and concentration is allowed to dip in the wait time. Shooting practice is done in weekday training.

But pre-game exercises are (supposed to be) all about sharpness, getting warmth in the muscles, getting into the quick-thinking mode that players need to be in for a game. They don’t work on skills, they do physical and mental prep.

Or so I believe. Contradict me if you think I’m wrong. Indeed, it is a discussion that possibly deserves a thread of its own.

I don’t hold an A Licence, though I have read the lit. and watched the process taking place.

43 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Yep for despite being the top team in the town for much of the past 40 years the Shedboys still have this fear that one day we will get our shit together and regain our rightful place as how you put it, 'Dundee's premier club'. Rent free in their heads forever

So your conclusion is that Dundee being consistently rubbish is actually a strength, and United fans should feel really bad about supporting the better team?
Psychologically very clever. 
There will be, then, plans for Dundee to get even worse to consolidate this position?
Again, fiendishly clever stuff. And the players are doing it so well.
Oh, if only United could be as bad as Dundee! That's clearly been our downfall over the past 50 years.

51 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Yep for despite being the top team in the town for much of the past 40 years the Shedboys still have this fear that one day we will get our shit together and regain our rightful place as how you put it, 'Dundee's premier club'. Rent free in their heads forever

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

2 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

He said "a little bit of fortune" Anyone with a brain could see that Mulgrew meant that. If anyone's a shit-stirring arsehole, it's your manager.

A bit harsh to be having a pop at McGhee. Everyone that’s played the slightest bit of football knows to hit the back post with a freekick from that area. Cross come shot. I know that and I’d imagine you know that. The biggest dafty in all of this is Lawlor. He should’ve been standing in a position to cover that all day long. Just the 3 out of 3 goals against you boys our keeper’s have flogged this season 🤦🏻‍♂️ Pretty much those goals and Mullen’s extraordinary miss sum’s up our season. 

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

So your conclusion is that Dundee being consistently rubbish is actually a strength, and United fans should feel really bad about supporting the better team?
Psychologically very clever. 
There will be, then, plans for Dundee to get even worse to consolidate this position?
Again, fiendishly clever stuff. And the players are doing it so well.
Oh, if only United could be as bad as Dundee! That's clearly been our downfall over the past 50 years.

Wind yer neck in pal, it isn’t the 80s 😂🥴

That’s perhaps because every team knows they will get a lot of free shots on goal at Dens!

Seriously, though, that sort of exercise is very much not in the pro licence coaching badges that are pushed at Largs. I’m not claiming that to be a good or bad thing. And I am certainly not saying that the Largs-type coaching manual is the only way to go, or even that it deserves respect. The oft-heard criticism is that coaches are made into robots.

The criticisms of that manner of shooting practice are, I believe, that there is too much “down time” for the players waiting in the queue to take their shots; and the instances of players being allowed an unchallenged one-two then a shot on goal are rare in professional football. So it isn’t a true in-game scenario, and concentration is allowed to dip in the wait time. Shooting practice is done in weekday training.

But pre-game exercises are (supposed to be) all about sharpness, getting warmth in the muscles, getting into the quick-thinking mode that players need to be in for a game. They don’t work on skills, they do physical and mental prep.

Or so I believe. Contradict me if you think I’m wrong. Indeed, it is a discussion that possibly deserves a thread of its own.

I don’t hold an A Licence, though I have read the lit. and watched the process taking place.

Maybe if you lot done some shooting practice your Diddy striker wouldn't of ballooned over the bar from 5 yards, with the goal gaping, you pillock.

Not mentioning the other open goal that was skewed wide.

As it was, Adam curled one in from miles out with McGinn striking the bar from outside the box on a half volley.

Thanks for the shooting adive though.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

He said "a little bit of fortune" Anyone with a brain could see that Mulgrew meant that. If anyone's a shit-stirring arsehole, it's your manager.

Mulgrew himself said that he hit the ball towards goal in the hope it might come off someone. The fact it didn't, but still went in, is the very definition of "a little bit of fortune" (which, incidentally, doesn't have the same rhetorical effect as "got lucky").

17 minutes ago, The Master said:

Mulgrew himself said that he hit the ball towards goal in the hope it might come off someone. The fact it didn't, but still went in, is the very definition of "a little bit of fortune" (which, incidentally, doesn't have the same rhetorical effect as "got lucky").

That’s not what he said.

28 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Diddy striker wouldn't of ballooned over the bar from 5 yards, with the goal gaping

Can't argue with that. Though I think your adjective is too kind. 

I imagine that any Dundee supporter seeing him running on to that ball must have just relaxed. No problem here.

3 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

It's an increasingly distant fear given that you didn't take advantage of the total mess we got ourselves in from 2016-2019 to do just that.

7 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Can't argue with that. Though I think your adjective is too kind. 

I imagine that any Dundee supporter seeing him running on to that ball must have just relaxed. No problem here.

Could certainly argue with the terrible grammar.

2 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Absolute bullshit. Why are you even pretending you have any idea what you're talking about?

Every club in the league has midfielders/strikers shooting before a game whilst the defenders go off and are fed long balls to get their timing of headers in.

Strikers could get one chance in the first minute of the game, so will have practiced that game specific movement, could also help prevent injury.

You're going to have to give that comment some context if you're expecting me, or anyone, to understand it.

Pal.

You’ve been shite since the end of the 80s, is that clear enough?

Edited to say I hope you understand that.

Edited by Yenitit

10 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

You’ve been shite since the end of the 80s, is that clear enough?

Edited to say I hope you understand that.

United have won the Scottish Cup twice since the end of the 1980s.

You look quite young (judging from your profile photo) but surely you knew that?

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s not what he said.

Of course it is. He talked about it as a general idea, but was clearly relating it to his actual goal. He then quickly adds an "of course I meant it" at the end, as any striker would do.

However, none of this changes the fact that Kenny Macintyre misrepresented Mark McGhee's words. 

Edited by The Master

13 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

And . . . young people often don't have a good grasp of history, or they don't bother doing their research properly. 
But don't take it personally, just do a bit of reading before pressing "Submit Reply".

Like your recent cup win it was a very easy cup draw. Not exactly constitutes a good side. The 1 before that the team got relegated 🥴 I take the Championship Hibs team that win the cup was a good team in your eyes as well. 

Yenited have been shite since the end of the 80s end of.