The Ferrys Fiasco

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

wut. you should probably look into him if you want to discuss this topic

he is a confirmed liar

He may well be.  I couldn’t care less if he is or isn’t.  I do care how the government spends my money.  If he is as well known as you make out it makes it even worse how the government have acted.

You don’t need to know who McColl is to know the government are 100% to blame here.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

He may well be.  I couldn’t care less if he is or isn’t.  I do care how the government spends my money.  If he is as well known as you make out it makes it even worse how the government have acted.

You don’t need to know who McColl is to know the government are 100% to blame here.

He is the person who took all the money

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Not even 5% for the man who promised he could build the ships on time and on budget? The SG were obviously daft to take him at his word without guarantees from his offshore accounts, but 100% of the blame is a bit steep.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, Left Back said:

No.  He’s the person who was given all the money.

The government clearly didn't do a good job and their motivation for that is in some doubt. 

But you are suggesting that a businessesman with a reputation for sharp practice who has charged three times what he agreed and still not delivered anything bears no responsibility? 

I'd love to see Left Back's version of Watchdog. "This builder just got given the life savings of an old lady for a drive he'll never install. Tonight Watchdog investigates why she's such a stupid cow." 

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The government clearly didn't do a good job and their motivation for that is in some doubt. 

But you are suggesting that a businessesman with a reputation for sharp practice who has charged three times what he agreed and still not delivered anything bears no responsibility? 

I'd love to see Left Back's version of Watchdog. "This builder just got given the life savings of an old lady for a drive he'll never install. Tonight Watchdog investigates why she's such a stupid cow." 

Is this really correct seeing as the yard was nationalised a few years back?  I believe only the agreed contract price had been handed over at the time of nationalisation,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49370082

I am being unfair saying he bears zero responsibility but I still contend the government bear the huge percentage of responsibility and seemed to ignore their own processes/rules for how tax payers money was spent in this instance.  Since they nationalised the yard it doesn't seem to have got any better and even more money has been sunk into what seems to be a bottomless pit.

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Is this really correct seeing as the yard was nationalised a few years back?  I believe only the agreed contract price had been handed over at the time of nationalisation,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49370082

I am being unfair saying he bears zero responsibility but I still contend the government bear the huge percentage of responsibility and seemed to ignore their own processes/rules for how tax payers money was spent in this instance.  Since they nationalised the yard it doesn't seem to have got any better and even more money has been sunk into what seems to be a bottomless pit.

Fair enough 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I’d watch that.

'Jim McColl is a total Walter Mitty figure deflecting blame' and 'the SG were incompetent in awarding public funded ferry contracts to a crap shipyard' are really not mutually exclusive points. 

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Preferred McColl when he was selling fags to schoolkids from his newsagents tbh

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I preferred him when he was shitting in colleagues' boots.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I preferred him when they gave him an XXXL Asda suit and let him manage Rangers for a bit

This c**t's been busy. 

57 minutes ago, virginton said:

'Jim McColl is a total Walter Mitty figure deflecting blame' and 'the SG were incompetent in awarding public funded ferry contracts to a crap shipyard' are really not mutually exclusive points. 

.... is the correct, balanced answer. 

This is just the most recent example of what happens when government gets involved in private business, an absolute and predictable clusterfuck. As Scottish tax payers we all now own a failing ship builder and a failing airport at Prestwick. They're bloated, loss making and incompetent, and our money is being taken away from schools and hospitals to keep them going. This is not going to change, the idea that any private bidder is going to come in and buy either of these assets from us is pure fantasy, and the SNP can't shut them down for political reasons, so we are stuck with them.

Still, they won't repeat this mistake with other failing business, will they?

image.png.04ed3ae4c3b5cb1b143a4f43fbe55711.png

Eek. It does take some brass neck for a politician to look at a business and think 'I know who could improve this, us!' Maybe they will prove us wrong this time...?

Edited by Lex

In what way is ScotRail a 'failing' business though? It operates a largely captive market for travel/commuting, that will almost certainly increase with even halfway competent management and no RMT shite (there's a problem tbf). 

The franchise model is a busted flush, but running a non-profit railway has relatively few risks attached to it. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

In what way is ScotRail a 'failing' business though? It operates a largely captive market for travel/commuting, that will almost certainly increase with even halfway competent management and no RMT shite (there's a problem tbf). 

The franchise model is a busted flush, but running a non-profit railway has relatively few risks attached to it. 

Have you used it recently?