Queen’s Park v Cove Rangers

33 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Fox has been our most consistent performer and we should do everything to hang onto him. He'd be fine if we ever go up; strong and he has a fair bit of football in his feet.

Agreed. Only 23 as well and still has improvement in him. Exactly what we’re after in terms of player profile, really. 

Keep: Ferrie, Robson, Fox, Brown, Mchugh, Lyon, Thompson, Williamson
Unsure: Davidson, Morrison, Kilday, Doyle, Longridge, Quitongo 
Bin: Murray, Moore, Yeats, Muir, Gillepsie, Biggar, Gillles, Grant 

I'd keep Morrison - before his injury reckon he and Fox were our strongest pairing in central defence
He's got pace, something that Grant and Kilday lack
I'd also retain Gillies - I like what I've seen of him in his limited opportunities...

1 hour ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

I'd keep Morrison - before his injury reckon he and Fox were our strongest pairing in central defence
He's got pace, something that Grant and Kilday lack
I'd also retain Gillies - I like what I've seen of him in his limited opportunities...

I agree. Morrison is only 22 & Gillies 18. Both have shown enough promise to be kept on. 

I'd also keep Callum  Biggar  - at 19, he's shown enough to warrant being kept on at least for another season.

I hope that the Reserve leagues are back in play next season. Guys like Biggar would probably have developed more if there had been regular reserve team fixtures these last two years. The jump from Academy to the senior leagues is huge, too much for most. It’s also a great help for getting damaged senior players back to match fitness quicker.

Also to be factored in is Beuker’s philosophy and understanding of how young players develop at different paces. Just because some of these youngsters aren’t ready for the first team doesn’t mean to say they won’t be useful in a year or two. I’m confident with Beuker and Coyle in post we’ll see a much better balanced set-up next season, across all levels.

Generally on players, like any group of humans in the workplace you’ll find good, bad and indifferent. What I would say in support of this group that in the last 12 months they’ve had five separate “managers” telling them how to play the game. Four since the start of the season. Three since Ne’erday. It’s a very young squad. They’ve had to cope with a lot and look like gaining a play-off place. Relegation never a threat. That’s as much as anyone hoped for back in July. A good strong platform to build on.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I hope that the Reserve leagues are back in play next season. Guys like Biggar would probably have developed more if there had been regular reserve team fixtures these last two years. The jump from Academy to the senior leagues is huge, too much for most. It’s also a great help for getting damaged senior players back to match fitness quicker.

Can we not enter a Colts team in the Lowland League? :)

11 hours ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

I'd keep Morrison - before his injury reckon he and Fox were our strongest pairing in central defence.

Morrison and Fox are my central pairing. I'd keep Tommy and try get another right back. Keep Doyle at the club but we can do better I think. 

I'm also worried for Ferrie... his form has been poor. Flapping around the box at most cross balls with no conviction or presence. Coyle hasn't seen the best of him and I think he could be in danger if he has a decent contact. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

11 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree. Morrison is only 22 & Gillies 18. Both have shown enough promise to be kept on. 

I'd also keep Callum  Biggar  - at 19, he's shown enough to warrant being kept on at least for another season.

Yeah Morrison is purely on the unsure category because of his injuries this season. Him and Fox are a terrific pairing when playing but I’m just sick of having a squad of crocks in the side. Same applies to Kilday in this scenario 

Personally I’ve not seen enough from Biggar to warrant a new deal. He’s young but I don’t want to see young players stick about just for the sake of being young. Seems okay technically but far too lightweight. Think there’s better out there 

32 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Yeah Morrison is purely on the unsure category because of his injuries this season. Him and Fox are a terrific pairing when playing but I’m just sick of having a squad of crocks in the side. Same applies to Kilday in this scenario 

I agree. It’s unfair as obviously it isn’t the players faults but there’s almost a sense of resentment when you keep seeing the same players missing through injury. 

Regardless of how this season ends, the squad needs major surgery. The winning record is 31% and we’ve been unable to string wins together. We should be looking at next season’s squad challenging to be champions or, if we do somehow manage to get up, comfortable safety in the Championship.

“Can this guy play Championship level?” should be the test. I’m only looking at a handful of our players and saying yes. No room for sentiment. We have to be ruthless and some borderline harsh decisions are going to have to be made to get to the level we want to get to.

23 hours ago, qpfc said:

Bin: Murray, Moore, Yeats, Muir, Gillepsie, Biggar, Gillles, Grant

Can't believe you're punting Muir into the same group as Moore and Yeats..

No way I'd bin Muir. A fit Muir is an asset to the club. The first few months of the season he was his usual fine self before an increasingly dodgy defence started to leave him totally exposed. Even then I only remember him making one clear and obvious error that led to a goal. Ferrie has been great overall since he replaced him but since February he's made  a couple of clear errors that have cost us points and also been a bit ropey at crosses. Yet this is glossed over by the same people who were caning Muir for less. Surely all our keepers should be judged to the same standards as every keeper will go through a run of below-par form.

If we can't sign a new keeper that's an obvious vast improvement on what we have then I'd have no problem in keeping both of them for next season.

As for Murray, no idea how he's going to be fitness-wise after his latest operation but he seemed to be moving OK when he came on. If he wants to take up his option and Coyle wants him then the wages he is on won't be an issue at all. It's all pocket money to Haughey. 

A fit Muir ahead of Ferrie all day long. Ferrie’s not bad, but he’s not a number one for a side with Championship aspirations imo. Not saying Muir would necessarily end up number one either, but he’s been pretty reliable over a sustained period for the club. 

On 05/04/2022 at 15:46, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I've often wondered how the loan system works, contractually. Can't imagine the likes of Liverpool or the OF paying the wages of some mibbee and not having it written in that he has a minimum amount of games, both starts and subs. They are with us to get developed after all. So it seems logical that if QP get a free player and the trade-off is they get a game every week, regardless of form or capability, then consequently if they don't get played there would be some form of penalty clause, either a fixed fee or percentage per game of their salary, that would be a cost to the host club. 

It's my understanding that now we're pro we don't get loan players for free. We pay their wages for as long as they are here.  

Incidentally, mind when we got Aidan McIlduff on loan? He replaced Sean Burns for one or two games before Gus quickly realised he wasn't any better and he hardly featured after that. So even when we were amateur nobody was dictating to us that a player had to play and that hasn't stopped us getting future loans from Celtic     

Edited by Mick1867

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

Can't believe you're punting Muir into the same group as Moore and Yeats..

No way I'd bin Muir. A fit Muir is an asset to the club. The first few months of the season he was his usual fine self before an increasingly dodgy defence started to leave him totally exposed. Even then I only remember him making one clear and obvious error that led to a goal. Ferrie has been great overall since he replaced him but since February he's made  a couple of clear errors that have cost us points and also been a bit ropey at crosses. Yet this is glossed over by the same people who were caning Muir for less. Surely all our keepers should be judged to the same standards as every keeper will go through a run of below-par form.

If we can't sign a new keeper that's an obvious vast improvement on what we have then I'd have no problem in keeping both of them for next season.

As for Murray, no idea how he's going to be fitness-wise after his latest operation but he seemed to be moving OK when he came on. If he wants to take up his option and Coyle wants him then the wages he is on won't be an issue at all. It's all pocket money to Haughey. 

I’ll concede that Ferrie has shown in recent weeks that he maybe isn’t the main keeper to take us forward. However, I’d still have him over Muir if it came to deciding on the number 2 keeper. I guess it just comes down to personal preference at the end of the day but Ferrie’s shot stopping ability, particularly from close range have prevented a fair few glaring goals aswell. With Ferrie being only 23, there’s so much room to grow and develop as a keeper in comparison to Muir and ultimately I think Ferrie has a higher ceiling. Either way, a new first choice keeper is definitely needed for next season.  

Regarding Murray, obviously his high wages will be pocket money to Haughey but we should still quite rightly be looking for an alternative that can guarantee around 30 games a season without consistent injuries. If someone like Greg Stewart, who’s out of contract and had great success with Coyle in India becomes available, I’d be using Murray’s wages on him 

Edited by qpfc

We won't be paying all the wages of loan players. Guys from decent level English sides and Premiership Scottish clubs will be on stacks more than we pay. My point on not playing them and losing the opportunity to have another from the club would depend on who their manager is.  Of course, we have no obligation to play them, but are we likely to have another from St Mirren anytime soon after Reid went back to them? Them's the breaks 

The loan system has benefitted us, the loan clubs and the players for the likes of Smith and Connell, maybe not so much for the others. So many of the bigger clubs simply hoover up young talent in the hope that one or two make the step up. Chelsea and Arsenal, for example, have had more players out on loan recently than the 25 first team pool that they run with. The ones loaned out would be better off being signed up by the likes of us or Dundee or whatever with a chance of playing every week rather than lining up at Bathgate for a midweek kickabout and little chance of first team football.

We had Anthony Ralston from Celtic and you could see that he had it, but we've had plenty more from the Old Firm and other bigger clubs over the years that haven't made an impact at all at their parent club. We now have the advantage of being able to offer loanees a full time contract if they're released by the parent club, knowing what that can do, which is a bonus over our amateur days.

18 hours ago, qpfc said:

If someone like Greg Stewart, who’s out of contract and had great success with Coyle in India becomes available, I’d be using Murray’s wages on him 

I think Greg Stewart is out of sight sadly. His wages will be nothing close to Muzza.

For what it's worth, I'd let Murray go and divert his wages elsewhere too.

Charlie Fox came from Engerland Nations League. I wonder if there are a few more gems to be dug up and brought to the southside. 

You've got to wonder what prompted Fox to make the move up north, Bromley > Queen's Park isn't exactly a linear or common career progression. Admittedly i'm not 100% sure whether the National League is professional or semi-professional, but you'd have to think there would be a few other gems that we should be looking at from down there. I always remember the guy that came up to Dundee from Sutton United Roarie Deacon looked not stinking; bit tricky with the chance to beat a man.

We haven't yet seen how Beuker will then move in terms of his recruitment either. Interesting to see if we were to bring anyone in from the continent as per his contacts. Not sure whether work permits would be an issue for these guys though.