Queen’s Park v Cove Rangers

Would have taken a draw before kick off but gutting to concede so late
Heartening performance although sat back too deep last 10 mins
Dont think Simon Murray substitution helped in that respect we lost Mchugh's ability to hold the ball up and didn't manage the game out.
Not impressed by Cove tbh not exactly pleasing on the eye and non stop petulance from Neill & Fyvie. Airdrie a better footballing team from what I've witnessed but grabbing an ugly point when not at your best is what wins titles

Running out of games, but I'll take Cove dropping another couple of points.  They haven't fully shit the bed yet but there's always cause for hope.  Although there's probably a better chance of winning the lottery than Falkirk laying a glove on them next week - but who knows, stranger things have happened.  Ever the optimist.....

Cove were bang average today but I think we made them look so. Bob has been good for weeks and that finish was ridiculous.

I'm really happy with the point but conceding when we did is a sore one.  

Very frustrating watching Longstaff play with far far far far far far betting options on the bench. 

Boys done class but Ferrie has gave me the fear for a few weeks. Quite a few times he’s flapping around and often it doesn’t come to much but it is risky. Maybe just his height disadvantage but he’s not commanding that 6 yard box like we need 

Edited by QPSpider1867

That was a kick in the teeth. Not totally devastated as I’m more than confident that we’ll make the playoffs which is the main priority right now. Its more the effort and dominance we possessed up against the best team in the league. We pressed, kept the ball and maintained a consistent threat for large periods of the game, which Cove struggled with due to their lack of dynamism and mobility

An incredible goal by the rejuvenated Bob Mchugh who occupied the cove defence brilliantly with his link up play, alongside a willingness to run the channels. I’m more than happy to see Mchugh with us next year if he can maintain this consistency for the run in. He’s now showing he can be a really decent asset for this level. 

Lost a wee bit of rhythm with the substitutes, particularly when Lyon left the field. Lyon was really effective at picking up scraps and 2nd balls, which allowed the attack to flow more consistently. Thought Davidson was poor when he came on and lost out on a fair few headers and tackles. And I doubt I’ll be the only one bewildered that Longstaff was brought instead of quitongo. Logan and Reynolds were there for the taking out wide and ultimately we paid the price by not taking full advantage of it 

Cove aren’t pretty on the eye but it’s clear there’s a winning mentality engrained throughout. They looked fairly hopeless for 90 minutes and still managed to dig in and get a result. Whether that team will cope in the championship, I’m unconvinced but there’s no doubt that having natural goalscorers will go a long way to achieving success at this level. Something that we need to sort for next season 

12 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Would have taken a draw before kick off but gutting to concede so late
Heartening performance although sat back too deep last 10 mins
Dont think Simon Murray substitution helped in that respect we lost Mchugh's ability to hold the ball up and didn't manage the game out.
Not impressed by Cove tbh not exactly pleasing on the eye and non stop petulance from Neill & Fyvie. Airdrie a better footballing team from what I've witnessed but grabbing an ugly point when not at your best is what wins titles

McHugh did a shift today amongst many others. Agree that Murray didn't add much but in all fairness to him the QP shape was different to that of the first half.

That performance today from Cove is not how we normally play. We're a play it out from the back, passing team who use our wing backs. We tried to hoof it every time we got it and looked pretty awful at it to be fair. Concerning we were that bad at it. 

Airdrie are a good footballing side, no doubt about it, with creative and nimble players in Easton & Frizzell. I feel they transition at speed more effectively than us at times. Queen's have that ability too

37 minutes ago, qpfc said:

That was a kick in the teeth. Not totally devastated as I’m more than confident that we’ll make the playoffs which is the main priority right now. Its more the effort and dominance we possessed up against the best team in the league. We pressed, kept the ball and maintained a consistent threat for large periods of the game, which Cove struggled with due to their lack of dynamism and mobility

An incredible goal by the rejuvenated Bob Mchugh who occupied the cove defence brilliantly with his link up play, alongside a willingness to run the channels. I’m more than happy to see Mchugh with us next year if he can maintain this consistency for the run in. He’s now showing he can be a really decent asset for this level. 

Lost a wee bit of rhythm with the substitutes, particularly when Lyon left the field. Lyon was really effective at picking up scraps and 2nd balls, which allowed the attack to flow more consistently. Thought Davidson was poor when he came on and lost out on a fair few headers and tackles. And I doubt I’ll be the only one bewildered that Longstaff was brought instead of quitongo. Logan and Reynolds were there for the taking out wide and ultimately we paid the price by not taking full advantage of it 

Cove aren’t pretty on the eye but it’s clear there’s a winning mentality engrained throughout. They looked fairly hopeless for 90 minutes and still managed to dig in and get a result. Whether that team will cope in the championship, I’m unconvinced but there’s no doubt that having natural goalscorers will go a long way to achieving success at this level. Something that we need to sort for next season 

Anyone who watched us a fair bit this season and especially at home will know we're a passing side who are generally quite pleasing on the eye. That was eye bleeding from us today and were lucky to get anything from it.

Our squad doesn't have depth  There's not much outside our best 11-13 players.Today we missed arguably our two best players in Harry Milne and Mitch (subbed after 10 minutes). Also missed some experience in Vigurs. On that performance and with that team today we'd struggle in the Championship certainly. We'd undoubtedly need to strengthen in a few areas; centre back, centre mid and another striker to rival Mitch and Rory.

If we'd play on that surface every week we wouldn't be top that's for sure.

I know Queen's missed Liam Brown and Peter Grant. Also missed Baynham all season almost and Jai has only recently returned.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

How does McAllister get away with it? 

Blatant fouling throughout the game and not once penalised - one of which led to the undeserved goal. 

Cove looked very average today and QP totally bossed the game. Play like this for the remaining games and a play off place seems certain. 

Edited by bridgeofweirdo

A few months ago I wouldn’t have had Darren Lyon and Bob Mchugh in my “keep” list for next season but their performances in recent weeks have been excellent and if they can maintain this standard then they’d be an asset next season in League 1 (unless we somehow get through the playoffs of course)

1 hour ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

How does McAllister get away with it? 

Blatant fouling throughout the game and not once penalised - one of which led to the undeserved goal. 

As well as his goal record, he’s fantastic at the dark arts. Always think a successful team needs a bit of that.

What a sickener, but we sat back and the equaliser was coming, I felt. McAllister gave Fox a push in the back as the ball came over and, if I want to be churlish, Logan was once again on the park as he took the throw.

All in all, though, a good performance. Great goal from McHugh and Lyon was again outstanding despite taking quite a bit of punishment. Connell and Smith took their share of kickings too but not one booking. Dreadful, yet two Cove players booked for chat. Priorities all wrong from the ref.

Big Fox was majestic, carrying the ball up the park when most defenders would have just blasted it away. Definitely a hand ball albeit unintentional.

I'd rather face Cove in the playoffs than Airdrie, that's for sure. They looked like they were going to self-implode about 20 minutes to go; seriously rattled, but they picked up and got the goal that their pressure probably deserved. But it still feels like two points lost. We should have managed the closing minutes better, but we do seem to be on the up.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Fairly decent stuff overall and a helluva goal from Bob. Absolutely sensational strike. 

Credit to Cove for sticking at it but a bit naive from us towards the end. Gave the ball away too many times last 5-10 mins, no need to charge forward like that. If we’ve got a bit more nouse/composure we see that out. 

Will learn from it though - and feeling pretty good about the playoffs. 

Sorry folks. The coaches lost us two points.

Cove players both front and back were shattered with 15 mins to go. McAllister was running like a coalman going up four storeys. The Cove left back was messing everything he touched. Option A - play to win. Introduce Quitongo onto the right and rip apart the left back, drawing in at least one more weary big lad. The effect would have been increased goal scoring chances, maybe the killer goal, and a stretched pitch which would have physically punished Cove. Move Longridge to the left where he gets better support from Robson.

Option B - “see out the game”. Insert Murray as a pace man and drop everyone back, condensing the game near our goal where the tired Cove players can run less and have more of the ball. It was clearly practised this week as every player who got the ball simply lumped it as far from our goal as possible, only for it to be immediately returned. This is not how you see out a game. 

The guys were superb today but if we are to process through the knockout stages of the play-offs no more dumb football please. Oh, and no more ineffective loan players “developing” their uselessness. 

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Introduce Quitongo onto the right and rip apart the left back, drawing in at least one more weary big lad. The effect would have been increased goal scoring chances, maybe the killer goal, and a stretched pitch which would have physically punished Cove. Move Longridge to the left where he gets better support from Robson.

That's the substitution that I thought was going to be made. Still can't believe Quitongo wasn't brought on especially as we saw how effective he was against Clyde last week. Of the loan players Connell and Smith were very good today. Noticed that Connell was much more up for it last week and he was even better this week. He seems to have suddenly found an appetite for digging in and winning the ball, so much so that I would have given him the MOM award. Two points dropped despite good performances all over the park is very frustrating. Next Saturday should see us clinch a play off spot but then we all remember what happened the last time East Fife came calling - a late collapse while trying to defend deep. If our present coaching staff had seen that performance then they might not have chosen to try to repeat that tactic yesterday.

3 hours ago, behindthelens said:

Utter filth from McHugh. That angle probably doesn't do it full justice, it looked even better from where I was standing, the bend on the ball was unreal.

We played so well yesterday, a vast improvement in all aspects since Airdrie, but just a shame our old failings came back late on in the game. Longridge missed two decent chances to kill it (after fine play from Doyle) then came the jittery defending.  Could say Davidson got a wee nudge at the goal but expect him to be stronger. We also rode our luck before that when they headed off the bar with Ferrie in no man's land.

As for the Cove penalty shout. Aye it hit his hand but wasn't deliberate and his arm was by his side, not in an unnatural position. Is that not the law now? One of the few things the ref got correct imo. He was a bit of a dough ball tbh, just wasn't interested in getting his cards out at all. There was a bad tackle on Lyon early on which set the tone and a yellow card then would have sent a message.

Fair play to Cove for hanging in and digging out a result. I would have taken a draw before the game but still a bit gutted to in those circumstances. Play off spot firmly in our hands right now, just hope it's sealed before the last game.

Edited by Mick1867

I’d be inclined to give McHugh another year. If it’s a choice between him, Murray and Quitongo, I’m picking him. Other two would be great in theory, but are made of glass. Can’t rely on getting a run of games out of them.

26 minutes ago, an86 said:

I’d be inclined to give McHugh another year. If it’s a choice between him, Murray and Quitongo, I’m picking him. Other two would be great in theory, but are made of glass. Can’t rely on getting a run of games out of them.

I think we have got much more out of McHugh since we changed our usual shape a bit from 4-3-3 where he was quite isolated and had to drop deep all the time to get involved and rely on runners beyond him, to 4-2-3-1 where he had someone else behind dropping deeper and he can play on the last defender.

I'm pretty sure the first time we played that way was the game at Falkirk in Feb. We looked much more dangerous once Bob came on in the second half, and as far as I can remember since then we have played him there each week and (Airdrie away excluded) we have been an improved side.

It also helps that he is good at holding the ball up now that we have been going a bit more direct at times due to the pitch.

I would certainly have him over Murray if we're playing with one striker. Though part of me would be interested to see what would happen if we had a run with both of them playing together up front. Maybe if we secure 4th with a few games to go we can experiment, but I'm not convinced the change if shape that would require would get the best out of others in the squad.

Getting the best out if Bob plus the return of Lyon have definetly been key in our recent improvement. Hopefully that trend continues into the playoffs.

If he's fit then I'd still like to get Quitongo playing regularly. As others have said, yesterday's game was crying out for his pace in the second half, and I would have had him on instead if Longstaff.

Mchugh is certainly make a strong case for being retained next season based on current form. I’m not gonna be 100% just yet just because I’ve watched approximately 18 months of him being rubbish but there no doubt that he’s been terrific of late. The main thing that stands out is that he generally looks so much more interested now. One of the key criticisms I had of Mchugh was that he’d never get about the pitch as much as he should of and looked fairly disinterested for many games. Whether there’s a system in place now to suit his game, that may be the case. 

Murray certainly wouldn’t be retained as there’s no doubt he’ll be the highest earner at the club. He’s an infectious personality on the pitch but there’s no justification to keep someone on those wages when you can’t guarantee 30 games at least per season 

I think Quitongo will leave no matter what. The guy must be scratching his head wondering why Mcbride and Longstaff are getting so many more minutes. Mental that he got 0 minutes against cove considering the difference he made against Clyde. Will he be a high earner at qp currently? I’m not sure purely cause the club would be aware that he’d be out for 75% of this season. If he isn’t a high earner, he’s the player the club should take a chance on for next season