Queen’s Park v Cove Rangers

As pleasing as it was last week The Hoops are likely to have a much stronger challenge this week. Cove’s admirable last minute point-stealer at Airdrie shows just how much they want this title. They’ve had a very long term plan and achieved their objective at every level and I’ve little doubt if they take 3 points on Sunday they’ll win this league.

The game against Clyde helped push Queen’s into one of the Current Form top teams. I also saw a lot of grit and determination that had been lacking a bit recently and that’ll certainly be needed again this weekend. We’ve competed well with Cove this season, just that top end letting us down as so often. That’ll be the difference in this game too. “Cove nil” is seldom heard so we’ll need at least two to win. If Bob’s watching…in between the big white sticks Bob😉

2-1 QP

A Super Sunday League 1 match doesn't come around too often!

Quite looking forward to playing on a Sunday as it means I'll get to watch another game on Saturday (as a neutral), either in person or via stream.  

Queens are the only team we haven't won against in the league so far. A 2-0 loss at Firhill was followed by a 3-3 draw and a 0-0 draw at Balmoral. Each game has seen a red card (Fyvie, Murray and Longridge) which inevitably swung the balance of the match. Hopefully both teams can keep all 11 on the park and we see a spectacle of match, pitch providing.  

Cove should be coming into this one on a high after the dramatics of a very late equaliser against fellow league title contenders Airdrie. We weren't at our best last weekend and struggled for large parts of the first half. The second half was an improvement but our creativity was lacking.

On Sunday I expect to see Rory returned to the starting lineup and back to the 3-5-2 setup we've used so much. Fully expect us to play more long balls aimed at Rory, given the surface, and hopefully Mitch can benefit from the knock ons / knock downs. 

Mitch went off injured after celebrating Fyvie's goal but I'm expect him to be available.  

Queens looked to have turned a corner picking up 10 points in their last 15 available. Peter Grant missing via suspension is a blow to the home side but they cover in Kilday. QP's midfield is so youthful and contrasting to ours that it will be interesting to watch again. I always worry about Vigurs when in this scenario especially when we don't have the ball.

"Cove nil" has happened 3 times in the league so far, once in a loss to your good selves and the other times in bore draws against yourselves and Mo.  

Edited by CoveRangers1922

We’ve had the slight edge over Cove in head to head terms. Absolutely no reason why the attitude shouldn’t be all about getting three points here. The intensity was there last week, but it has to be there until the end of the season.

We can’t continue the couple of weeks of decent stuff and then take the foot off the pedal. The Clyde game should be the baseline level for our intensity for every single game. Do that and we can win this one. Don’t and we’ll be badly shown up.

Edited by an86

Huge game against a team we’ve had relatively decent success against this season. Red cards seem to be a common occurrence in this fixture which is frustrating as I think we would of went and won away at Cove back in October if it wasn’t for Murray’s petulance. No reason we can’t get 3 points if the team apply themselves. Grant has maybe shown the last couple games that his match fitness probably isn’t 100% yet with a couple of ropey performances but I’m more than comfortable with Kilday or Davidson filling in whilst he’s suspended. 

Would go for this team: 

Ferrie 

Doyle           Kilday              Fox       Robson

Lyon 

Brown              Connell

Quitongo                McHugh           Smith 

Much as I dislike Airdrie, who are forever beating us, I'd rather they'd won on Saturday, giving them a better chance of winning the league. Cove in the playoffs would give us, I believe, a better chance of winning them. I know, I know - humour me.

Possible injury worry up front for Cove? Let's hope so. One of Megginson and McAllister is a handful, and the surface will suit the punt to them as a game plan. Dealing with both of them will be a challenge.  With a bit of luck, the ref will blame the surface for all the times Rory falls over.

I can see us win this. Murray to return, up front with the rejuvenated Boab McHugh? That has the smell of victory.

22 hours ago, qpfc said:

Huge game against a team we’ve had relatively decent success against this season. Red cards seem to be a common occurrence in this fixture which is frustrating as I think we would of went and won away at Cove back in October if it wasn’t for Murray’s petulance. No reason we can’t get 3 points if the team apply themselves. Grant has maybe shown the last couple games that his match fitness probably isn’t 100% yet with a couple of ropey performances but I’m more than comfortable with Kilday or Davidson filling in whilst he’s suspended. 

Would go for this team: 

Ferrie 

Doyle           Kilday              Fox       Robson

Lyon 

Brown              Connell

Quitongo                McHugh           Smith 

I’d go with that but Longridge in place of Smith. When he was at his best, Longridge played on the left. His defensive game is much better than Smith’s too. Smith’s got talent but this is a fixture for men over boys.

41 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’m sure Owen Coyle wants to see the team he manages getting into the play-offs. Message ends.

Goes without saying, be happy to see you's in the playoffs in front of Falkirk.

On 30/03/2022 at 15:35, Hampden Diehard said:

Much as I dislike Airdrie, who are forever beating us, I'd rather they'd won on Saturday, giving them a better chance of winning the league. Cove in the playoffs would give us, I believe, a better chance of winning them. I know, I know - humour me.

And if we don't go up then at least we won't have to play fuckin Airdrie next season.

Sunday games are pish - for various reasons - and this will be our third one this season. Hopefully none of this nonsense when we get back to Lesser. I fancy us to get something from this if we can start taking our chances. Should have buried Clyde last week but the attitude and work rate was superb so more of that please 

Edited by Mick1867

Our unbeaten run against Cove this season is nice in isolation but when the games are peeled back it's little comfort. In my humble opinion, Cove were bossing us until Fyvie was sent off in the first fixture.  The 3-3 tie was tight and could have went either way to be fair but then Cove should have buried us last time. We done superb with 10 men but they had so many great chances. We'll need to be right up for this. The pitch is sure to be in horrific condition with Partick hosting Arbroath tomorrow. 

Still, unbeaten is unbeaten against the league leaders and we've had the steel needed in those games. Hopefully another 3 points and it's one hand on 4th spot.. I expect Falkirk to drop points against Montrose tomorrow.

Edited by QPSpider1867

9 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Our unbeaten run against Cove this season is nice in isolation but when the games are peeled back it's little comfort. In my humble opinion, Cove were bossing us until Fyvie was sent off in the first fixture.  The 3-3 tie was tight and could have went either way to be fair but then Cove should have buried us last time. We done superb with 10 men but they had so many great chances. We'll need to be right up for this. The pitch is sure to be in horrific condition with Partick hosting Arbroath tomorrow. 

Still, unbeaten is unbeaten against the league leaders and we've had the steel needed in those games. Hopefully another 3 points and it's one hand on 4th spot.. I expect Falkirk to drop points against Montrose tomorrow.

My reflections on the last 3 games against Queen's is similar to yours. 

Game 1 (QP win)

This was the second game of the season, we were experimenting with our ball boy in goal. He threw one in the net in the second half which didn't help. First half I thought was fairly even with Cove controlling midfield, at times, but Queen's were creative and Murray was running the channels and working our back line. Game could have gone either way.

Fraser's red card turned the game in the home sides favour, Murray's free kick was sublime and like I say McHugh was gifted a goal shortly after. Turned out to be a stroll for QP.

Game 2 (draw)

6 goal thriller! I remember the first 35 minutes being wave after wave of Cove chances but we only took one and somehow went into the break 2-1 down. McHugh got one on 40 and Longridge bang on HT. Remember feeling in shock. Queen's started the second half fairly well, on top even although Cove looked threatening, but Murray's sending off turned the tide and Cove scored through Mitch and an OG from Morrison. Inexplicably we conceded a set piece header by Doyle with 7 minutes to go against 10 men. 

If you're a Cove fan you feel like 2 points dropped that day. If you're a spider then you rue the Murray sending off but are probably quite relieved with a point.

Game 3 (draw)

Stark contrast to the above; a goalless draw. This time Longridge walked after 35 minutes for two silly yellow cards. Cove got into areas thereafter but creatively had an off day and didn't muster hardly any clear cut chances. Queen's defended resolutely it must be said. 

Remember feeling that was 2 points dropped. Good draw for away side in the end and credit must go to playing the last hour a man down.

I have no idea how Sunday will go. We'll need to play more direct than we're use to. We've been doing enough to pick up point(s) without being at our best. We've conceded in 8 out of last 10 games in all competitions which is a big contrast to 8 out of 9 clean sheets in the league prior to losing to Hibs in the Scottish Cup

Good piece in the match programme from the QPSA correspondent and BBC icon, Keith McAllister, capturing the moment perfectly. 

https://online.fliphtml5.com/uhlxr/koju/#p=15

Yesterday’s results have heightened the desire for a win for both clubs. Cove to keep the distance comfortable between them and Airdrie. QP to virtually secure the fourth play-off spot in front of their fans. Should be a cracker!

Just typical of the fortune Cove have had this season…. Megginson is fit enough to start after being carried off the park injured last weekend!

Obviously not wishing injury on anybody, but you thought that may just be the glimmer of hope for us last week that he’d be missing for the rest of the season.

Cmon the Spiders! Always liked QP [emoji1787]

Cove starting lineup below. Harry Milne sadly misses out due to injury picked up in training mid-week. Big miss both defensively and offensively. Vigurs also not present in the match day squad which I'm not particularly worried about. He looks like he's running through treacle at the best of times; today would have exaggerated it even more so.

We'll see Fyvie play DCM, a position I think he does far better than Vigurs anyway.

First start for Ola Adeyemo, who Cove fans have barely seen since he was signed in September. In the brief glimpses he's shown desire, work rate and his physicality should be advantageous if we're going long, or longer than normal, given the pitch. Interesting to see how he gets on and where he'll play. I suspect he'll play left side of the midfield three when we don't have the ball and behind the strikers when we do. Naturally a forward. Means we'll be able to shell balls at him as well as Rory.

Definitely right opting to play Ola ahead of Leighton, Kai, Masson, Leitch. First time Hartley has done this but correct choice I feel.

Screenshot_20220403-142256.jpg

Screenshot_20220403-142938.jpg

18 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Just typical of the fortune Cove have had this season…. Megginson is fit enough to start after being carried off the park injured last weekend!

Obviously not wishing injury on anybody, but you thought that may just be the glimmer of hope for us last week that he’d be missing for the rest of the season.

Cmon the Spiders! Always liked QP emoji1787.png

From a Cove perspective that's a big advantage seeing Mitch in the starting lineup. Missing Harry, who rolled his ankle in training, is bad news for us. Scully is a make-shift left back, and although will do an admirable job, he's not in the league of Harry.

Surprised not to see Murray starting. His energy and high press is a trait I like about him. McHugh doesn't do that as much I feel.

Should be some game.