Opposition players you would like to sign.

The knock  on effect for the Rovers is still the Goodwillie fiasco. Lost a major sponsor because of it. Will we have a manager at seasons end. Will players on long deals tear up their contracts. Will we sign bargain basement injury prone players. Am I wearing a tin foil hat. Who knows🤣🤣🤔

I can’t see us keeping him even if we do stay up. Unless Yogi/our next manager convinced him we’re building a cracking squad and we can pay him handsomely (you’d imagine we could offer more than just about any other team in the Championship), I’m sure he’ll have plenty offers from even the Premiership.

I’m glad it looks like he’s burnt his bridges with Killie (or vice versa) as they’d be the most obvious/attractive options from the Championship.

I don't think he's really burnt any bridges as opposed to not being good enough for whatever level we'll be playing at next season (bottom half Premiership or title contenders in the Championship). He can raise his game for the odd performance against teams at that level, but he simply doesn't have the work ethic or consistency.

On 30/03/2022 at 12:15, Reid said:

Out of the players showing as out of contract on Transfermarkt would definitely take: Tumilty, Steve Lawson, Coll Donaldson, Aaron Comrie, Stevie Lawless, Ryan Dow, Dom Thomas, Sean Welsh, Ogwu, Lewis Strapp, Adeloye, James Maxwell, Lee Connolly, Jack Hamilton (Arbroath/Livi), Chris Hamilton, Nicky Low, Scott Stewart & Tam O’Brien.

There’s a few on there we’d have no chance with but most are realistic, unless we are truly skint. 

To be fair, we'd be due a fair whack of compensation for him, he's already been offered a new deal. Only way I can see him leaving is a similar situation with Tiffoney/Penrice where we're getting a better player in. 

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think he's really burnt any bridges as opposed to not being good enough for whatever level we'll be playing at next season (bottom half Premiership or title contenders in the Championship). He can raise his game for the odd performance against teams at that level, but he simply doesn't have the work ethic or consistency.

Dom Thomas isn't good enough to play for a team going for the title in the Championship? 

Christ. 

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Dom Thomas isn't good enough to play for a team going for the title in the Championship? 

Christ. 

He's 26 and has spent the bulk of his career jobbing between Championship relegation strugglers and Dumbarton in the seaside leagues. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

He's 26 and has spent the bulk of his career jobbing between Championship relegation strugglers and Dumbarton in the seaside leagues. 

Not sure how 26 games for Dumbarton equates to it being the bulk of his career tbh. 

He's a far better player than say, Fraser Murray who's been starting regularly for a team likely to win the title this year, if you're watching Thomas play and thinking "Aye, that's a player who's ceiling is the bottom five of the championship" you're at it. 

48 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not sure how 26 games for Dumbarton equates to it being the bulk of his career tbh. 

He's a far better player than say, Fraser Murray who's been starting regularly for a team likely to win the title this year, if you're watching Thomas play and thinking "Aye, that's a player who's ceiling is the bottom five of the championship" you're at it. 

Fraser Murray probably isn't good enough for where we want to be either, but he's only 21 and has room for improvement. I certainly wouldn't swap him for Thomas, who at what should be close to the peak of his career finds himself in and out of the team at one of the worst sides in the Championship. When you reach 26 and you've already bombed at two Premiership clubs it surely becomes a bit late to talk about your ceiling.

He has performances in him at this level, and it wouldn't surprise me if he saved one for Rugby Park next week, but in terms of actually stringing them together to be a useful player for a team in our position, we know from experience that he doesn't have it.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Try reading for comprehension next time and it'll make sense to you. 

if you're watching Thomas play and thinking "Aye, that's a player who's ceiling is the bottom five of the championship" you're at it. 

I believe that the transfer market is a somewhat better judge than a Dunfermline fan raving about a bog-standard sand dancer. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Fraser Murray probably isn't good enough for where we want to be either, but he's only 21 and has room for improvement. I certainly wouldn't swap him for Thomas, who at what should be close to the peak of his career finds himself in and out of the team at one of the worst sides in the Championship. When you reach 26 and you've already bombed at two Premiership clubs it surely becomes a bit late to talk about your ceiling.

He has performances in him at this level, and it wouldn't surprise me if he saved one for Rugby Park next week, but in terms of actually stringing them together to be a useful player for a team in our position, we know from experience that he doesn't have it.

Fraser Murray is 22. 

If it wasn't for the bizarre decision of Kilmarnock to sign him then he'd also be at one of the worst sides in the Championship, what relevance that has to do with a players ability in this instance is an odd one. If we had Murray instead of Thomas would we be in a better position? Absolutely, unequivocally not. I'd honestly be shocked if there was any other group of fans in this division outwith blinkered Killie ones who would take Fraser Murray over Thomas, absolutely wild. 

Dunfermline fans know from experience that Fraser Murray didn't really have it to string together useful performances for a playoff chasing side, and yet there he is. 

Using a teams performance as the sole barometer for judging how good an individual player is, doesn't work, and was something you usually only see on twitter from weirdos with football players as there picture. Quite odd to see it on PnB. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Fraser Murray probably isn't good enough for where we want to be either

I don't think that's what we are arguing here is it? I'd imagine kilmarnock will ideally want to be back where they were under Clarke.  Thomas certainly isn't good enough for that, nobody is claiming he is, but that's not where Kilmarnock are now. You're championship club, players don't actually need to be that brilliant to be good signings for clubs at this level. 

Edited by parsforlife

You’ve lost the plot if you can look at your teams squad and think Dom Thomas wouldn’t instantly improve it. He’s not a Premiership player by any means but he’s definitely one of the better players in this league. He’s been unlucky at Dunfermline to have three managers on the trot who can’t get the best out of the attacking players that they’ve got. If he was playing for a McCall or a McGlynn then I think you’d see the best of him.

I'd honestly be shocked if there was any other group of fans in this division outwith blinkered Killie ones who would take Fraser Murray over Thomas, absolutely wild. 
Dunfermline fans know from experience that Fraser Murray didn't really have it to string together useful performances for a playoff chasing side, and yet there he is. 

Why would we be "blinkered" about it? There are lots of our former players who I would happily take back, but Thomas isn't one of them because he isn't good enough.

We're only one of two clubs in the country to have both players play for us, so I don't see why I'd particularly care if a Raith or Morton fan would prefer to have Thomas over Murray. If the Pars fans think Thomas has been a better player for you than Murray, that's great, you keep him.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why would we be "blinkered" about it? There are lots of our former players who I would happily take back, but Thomas isn't one of them because he isn't good enough.

We're only one of two clubs in the country to have both players play for us, so I don't see why I'd particularly care if a Raith or Morton fan would prefer to have Thomas over Murray. If the Pars fans think Thomas has been a better player for you than Murray, that's great, you keep him.

Oh, being blinkered was just a helpful "out" for what is just quite frankly, an awful take. 

You do realise, that while there's only two clubs that have had both players play for them, there's quite a few who have had both play against them? Like, you do realise fans can have an opinion on a player that hasn't played for there club? 

My opinion matters not whether we keep Thomas or Murray, it's not upto me. 

4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I don't think that's what we are arguing here is it? I'd imagine kilmarnock will ideally want to be back where they were under Clarke.  Thomas certainly isn't good enough for that, nobody is claiming he is, but that's not where Kilmarnock are now. You're championship club, players don't actually need to be that brilliant to be good signings for clubs at this level. 

This is for next season, and we're wanting to be a Premiership club next season.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

Try reading for comprehension next time and it'll make sense to you. 

I believe that the transfer market is a somewhat better judge than a Dunfermline fan raving about a bog-standard sand dancer. 

Will it? I've read it a couple of times and it still comes across as utter dribble, you said he's spent the bulk of his career between Championship relegation strugglers, and Dumbarton. 

This is the first season he's been at a club who can be classed as championship relegation strugglers, and he spent 1 season at Dumbarton. 

So how does 2 seasons, equate to the bulk of a career that started in 2014?

If we take the transfer market as a judge then, it doesn't quite tie in with anything you're saying. If/when Dunfermline get relegated and Thomas joins a championship promotion hopeful, does that then mean he's suddenly become a top player in the Championship? Or would it have been the case that he was a good player in a very poorly ran side? 

58 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

This is the first season he's been at a club who can be classed as championship relegation strugglers, and he spent 1 season at Dumbarton. 

Erm no, because he has also spent two spells on loan at Queen of the South. Who are the epitome of 'Championship relegation strugglers', which is why absolutely nobody is surprised that they're the side currently keeping your dung outfit off the bottom spot. 

In order of appearances per club, Thomas has recorded:

43 - Dunfermline (dung, relegation strugglers)

33 - Motherwell (youth ringer)

31 - QotS (see above)

29 - Kilmarnock (failure)

26 - Dumbarton (seaside league permadross)

That is quite simply not an impressive CV at all, for a winger, at 26. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Erm no, because he has also spent two spells on loan at Queen of the South. Who are the epitome of 'Championship relegation strugglers', 

Queen of the South aren't very good this season, this doesn't mean they were always bad, that's pretty simple for pretty much everyone to grasp, but I'll try help you out. 

The two season he was at QoTS they finished 6th, he wasn't struggling for relegation. In one of those 6th placed finishes he was over 20 points above the relegation playoffs. 

Likewise you've listed alllll 43 of his appearances at Dunfermline as being "relegation strugglers", seemingly just forgetting that in his first batch of appearances we finished 5th, while last season we actually did finish in the promotion playoffs. 

"He's 26 and has spent the bulk of his career jobbing between Championship relegation strugglers and Dumbarton in the seaside leagues. 

Swing and a miss, champ.