East Fife v Diamonds

Got the score right and delighted to have a clean sweep over East Fife this season with no goals conceded. It's amazing that they have the best negative goal difference so other games must have been narrow losses. They might well have got back into the game in that sloppy early 2nd half and I was relieved to see Frizzel take the drive forward to get Seagal to prod home another close one. We got a lot more down the left but the build up was too slow. Possession is important but some of it did not get us forward.

I know I am being hard to please after such a great run , but I only relaxed when we got a 2nd. Methil has been a tough gig before, so I did sit back and relax after that 2nd , and smile when Afalobi has a wonderful dance along the touch line, avoiding any use of his right foot, or seeing Dino lead a late right wing charge.

Now for Queens Park to do us a wee favour so Cove go on a panic even against Falkirk. Hope springs eternal. 

1 hour ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

At least we only conceded 2. We are improving.

The quicker we can fire the whole squad into the bin the better and we can rebuild fully for League 2.

What a truly awful season. 

Get a grip. Where are we going to get a 18/20 man squad of decent quality players with 2nd Div revenue. Is there 18/20 decent quality players just waiting to join a relegated team ? 
We need to keep maybe four or five of the better experienced players - Steele, Murdoch, Swanson +2. Quite a few decent looking youngsters who need experience. Make that the retained squad of 13/14 then look for 4/5 players who can help take us back up in a season. Emphasis must be on a couple of strikers but it was quite evident there’s not many going about who will come for 2nd Div wages. Sadly we are well down the pecking order.

37 minutes ago, Another The Other Chairman said:

Get a grip. Where are we going to get a 18/20 man squad of decent quality players with 2nd Div revenue. Is there 18/20 decent quality players just waiting to join a relegated team ? 
We need to keep maybe four or five of the better experienced players - Steele, Murdoch, Swanson +2. Quite a few decent looking youngsters who need experience. Make that the retained squad of 13/14 then look for 4/5 players who can help take us back up in a season. Emphasis must be on a couple of strikers but it was quite evident there’s not many going about who will come for 2nd Div wages. Sadly we are well down the pecking order.

If it's any consolation, I have seen a lot worse teams than East Fife. This season,   I rate Crawford highly as a manager and he is a lot better than League 2,  keep a hold of him, with his contacts and you will have a great chance to step back up....

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Got the score right and delighted to have a clean sweep over East Fife this season with no goals conceded. It's amazing that they have the best negative goal difference so other games must have been narrow losses. They might well have got back into the game in that sloppy early 2nd half and I was relieved to see Frizzel take the drive forward to get Seagal to prod home another close one. We got a lot more down the left but the build up was too slow. Possession is important but some of it did not get us forward.

I know I am being hard to please after such a great run , but I only relaxed when we got a 2nd. Methil has been a tough gig before, so I did sit back and relax after that 2nd , and smile when Afalobi has a wonderful dance along the touch line, avoiding any use of his right foot, or seeing Dino lead a late right wing charge.

Now for Queens Park to do us a wee favour so Cove go on a panic even against Falkirk. Hope springs eternal. 

We are and have been good to watch all season,  maybe lack a bit of ruthlessness up front,  but to be honest we are ticking away nicely.....I thought Frizzell was outstanding today again, he is revelling in Easton getting man marked and exploiting the space that creates very well..   Plenty if not most players in that team I would want to keep for next season whatever league that may be...

20 hours ago, Another The Other Chairman said:

Swanson has played 24% of the available league minutes so far over the last two seasons. 0 goals and 0 assists during that time. I'd imagine he is the highest paid player by some way within the current squad. He hasn't been value for money so far, so if money is going to be tight then this would be a high risk re-signing in my opinion, especially after his knee injury this season, which I am assuming was an ACL. Murdoch is already signed for next season, but has only played 30% of available minutes this season. I make it that he has had 4 left hamstring injury/re-injuries this season. Most football clubs nowadays know that age and previous injury are two key predictors of future injury, so I wouldn't be building a squad around him either. 

I think East Fife fans need to understand that for whatever reason, money or otherwise, they are not an attractive proposition for players. DY recruitment was hammered this season, but seems like (from what I have heard)  it wasn't for the lack of trying. He should have emptied the majority of the squad from last season, but obviously knew he needed players who wanted to play for the club. The bigger mistake was giving these players two year contracts. 

I think Crawford will struggle to create his own squad for next season, but he should have known this when he walked through the door. Statistically there has been little difference between Crawford and Young in terms of performance indicators once again highlighting that success is more about the quality of the squad than the ability of the manager. 

Lastly, I hope that both Airdrie and Cove go up out of this league this season. Both have helped increase the quality and standards of this league and should be rewarded for doing so. 

5 hours ago, 7 Eleven said:

Swanson has played 24% of the available league minutes so far over the last two seasons. 0 goals and 0 assists during that time. I'd imagine he is the highest paid player by some way within the current squad. He hasn't been value for money so far, so if money is going to be tight then this would be a high risk re-signing in my opinion, especially after his knee injury this season, which I am assuming was an ACL. Murdoch is already signed for next season, but has only played 30% of available minutes this season. I make it that he has had 4 left hamstring injury/re-injuries this season. Most football clubs nowadays know that age and previous injury are two key predictors of future injury, so I wouldn't be building a squad around him either. 

I think East Fife fans need to understand that for whatever reason, money or otherwise, they are not an attractive proposition for players. DY recruitment was hammered this season, but seems like (from what I have heard)  it wasn't for the lack of trying. He should have emptied the majority of the squad from last season, but obviously knew he needed players who wanted to play for the club. The bigger mistake was giving these players two year contracts. 

I think Crawford will struggle to create his own squad for next season, but he should have known this when he walked through the door. Statistically there has been little difference between Crawford and Young in terms of performance indicators once again highlighting that success is more about the quality of the squad than the ability of the manager. 

Lastly, I hope that both Airdrie and Cove go up out of this league this season. Both have helped increase the quality and standards of this league and should be rewarded for doing so. 

The key part of the above is that EF is not an attractive proposition. Both played yesterday and although Swanson ran out of steam both played quite well against an impressive Airdrie. Hopefully both can demonstrate their fitness and want to stay as replacements will not be knocking at the door.