Grassing

Assuming that you are not 12 years old nor deeply embedded within any organised crime syndicate, why is reporting someone to the relevant authorities for committing a crime or for anti-social behaviour still considered by many to be a dishonourable act? 

Have you ever been a paid informant? 

Are there any occasions you would not "grass" on someone? 

Do you consider "grassing" to be a shameful practice and a "grass" should be treated with contempt? 

1679267588_Screenshot2022-03-29at16_52_49.thumb.png.beab675cdac365c99a19debd3d1667ba.png

I don't see the problem with it if it affects you directly in some aspect of your life.  At work for example.  

Edit - If someone is being a lazy cunt and it means you have to pick up the slack, then I think grassing is ok.  But only once you've told them to get their finger our their arse first.

Edited by TheScarf

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don't see the problem with it if it affects you directly in some aspect of your life.  At work for example.  

Edit - If someone is being a lazy c**t and it means you have to pick up the slack, then I think grassing is ok.  But only once you've told them to get their finger our their arse first.

Aye, in things like workplaces you always speak to the person first and if nothing changes and you're being shafted then you're within your rights to go higher. I think for crimes it's a bit different but really it depends on the severity of the crime. If I saw someone stealing a Freddo from a shop I'd probably wish them well on their merry way, but if I saw someone pulling a knife on the shop owner and stealing all their money I'd give a statement to the polis. 

27 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Assuming that you are not 12 years old nor deeply embedded within any organised crime syndicate, why is reporting someone to the relevant authorities for committing a crime or for anti-social behaviour still considered by many to be a dishonourable act? 

Have you ever been a paid informant? 

Are there any occasions you would not "grass" on someone? 

Do you consider "grassing" to be a shameful practice and a "grass" should be treated with contempt? 

1679267588_Screenshot2022-03-29at16_52_49.thumb.png.beab675cdac365c99a19debd3d1667ba.png

The c**t's been sussed.

My previous neighbours were a bit strange. They had a beef with another neighbour about parking spaces and ended up phoning the police, accusing this guy of not having tax on his car (he did). Then they phoned again accusing him of videoing kids playing in the street. Phoned the council about him putting his bins in the wrong place.

They went door to door in the street trying to get folk to phone the police about this specific guy, for anything we could think of, "to get him out". 

Deranged people. When they moved out I spent a happy evening drinking rusty nails. The other neighbour is still here.

This is a right tough one tbh. I actually don't even naturally arrive at a position on this.

I give my daughters a hard time for constantly "telling tales", so I guess we are conditioned a certain way from young? We all must have heard that growing up.

But then we encourage them to "tell a grown up" if they find themselves in bother at school or that.

I instinctively sort of leap to "say f**k all" to the likes of police or gaffers at my work, but then I don't like criminals.

Wtf is it all about....

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My previous neighbours were a bit strange. They had a beef with another neighbour about parking spaces and ended up phoning the police, accusing this guy of not having tax on his car (he did). Then they phoned again accusing him of videoing kids playing in the street. Phoned the council about him putting his bins in the wrong place.

They went door to door in the street trying to get folk to phone the police about this specific guy, for anything we could think of, "to get him out". 

Deranged people. When they moved out I spent a happy evening drinking rusty nails. The other neighbour is still here.

Do you live near @Philpy?