Just now, Vimto90 said:

Having never been to the USA never dealt with what seems a very ott culture of tipping. Out of interest other than a gnarly stare I assume there would be no repercussions if you point blank refused to tip?

I think they won’t serve you again I.e like in a bar, if you don’t tip for your first drink/round of drinks, you’ll not get any service again.

I deliver for my local chippy at weekends, and it’s always a lovely wee bonus gratefully received if I get a tip. What with the advent of Just Eat/Scoffable and the like, it’s becoming more a rarity.

13 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Whip roon furra pilot! 

In a similar fashion, I must spend a small fortune emptying my pockets of change when there's a whip round for the driver on the bus to an away game but in fairness driving a bus full of pissed up reprobates they deserve an extra few quid in their pocket 

50 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Having never been to the USA never dealt with what seems a very ott culture of tipping. Out of interest other than a gnarly stare I assume there would be no repercussions if you point blank refused to tip?

I saw a bit of a scene once when some foreigners - think they were Germans or Scandies - refused to tip in a restaurant. Manager came out and all sorts.

That being said, when somebody goes over and above over there it's only the right thing to do. Me and the missus were in the Hard Rock hotel in Florida one time and one night there was a tornado warning so more or less everything was shut. We thought we'd just go down to the hotel bar, but it was almost empty - I imagine most folk just thought they'd have an early night.

Anyway, by about nine we were sitting at the bar when I looked round and realised we were the last people there, so I said to the bartender (a Korean-American wid) that if she wanted to close up early we'd split too. Turned out she wasn't allowed to dub the place up til midnight, so we ended up just getting talking to her while she mixed loads of weird cocktails and speciality drinks for us. Come midnight, and slurring quite a bit we asked for the bill...she was like "Nah, it's fine...no charge...I enjoyed talking to you. You saved me from having a really boring few hours."

We ended up slipping her a hundred dollars as a tip...cheap at the price as I imagine we'd had two or three times that drinks-wise.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think they won’t serve you again I.e like in a bar, if you don’t tip for your first drink/round of drinks, you’ll not get any service again.

I'd guess it'd depend on the place, but most 'locals' will just ask if you want to start a tab, and if so, you just square them up at the end and chuck in x per drink or 20% or whatever. 

Not dealing with the US style we refuse to pay our staff so you should instead bullshit. 

Very rarely eat at restaurants, content enough with 10% ish providing service is reasonable.

Barbers,  fucking weird profession to tip in. you've been paid to provide a service as an individual, why should you be paid for not fucking it up? Maybe different for those that want an personal service but a back and sides is so fucking basic, how can you claim you made an extra effort to not f**k it up this one time?

Delivery drivers/bar staff, this is basically bribery isn't?  Simple job, just do it right. Tips are just a way to prioritise yourself over other customers. 

Taxi drivers can get fucked.  Congratulations on not killing me in the last 10 minutes. Naively rounded up as a youngster. £7.50 or £8 became a tenner, continued to give them above the fare for years, the they didn't make any effort when the fare became £10.10 or £10.20 to just ask for a tenner, f**k you, if you want to act the greedy fuckers you'll get the absolute minimum. 

Those who genuinely go above and beyond regardless of profession, I'll give generously, only happened a handful of times in my life tho.

Surely folk know by now not to bother tipping by card? f**k all chance whoever’s been serving you will ever see it.

The aversion some people have now to carrying some physical cash or change on them in case they need it just feels very snobby.

Anyway.

If I’m out for something to eat it will be about 10% unless the service is awful.

Barber gets a tip because they do a good job for a decent price but I’ve been to some swanky places before where I haven’t bothered because the price was already enough.

Taxi drivers I’d usually round up, could be a bit more if they’re sound or nothing if they’re an arsehole.

Takeaways we usually collect but if getting it delivered I find there’s something very awkward about handing someone on your doorstep a small amount of change.

It’s never really crossed my mind for delivery drivers.

It is weird how it only applies to some areas but I wouldn’t feel right walking out a restaurant without tipping unless the service was absolutely shite.

29 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Surely folk know by now not to bother tipping by card? f**k all chance whoever’s been serving you will ever see it.

The aversion some people have now to carrying some physical cash or change on them in case they need it just feels very snobby.

I don't understand how not carrying cash is 'snobby', let alone 'very snobby'. You'll need to explain that one please. 

9 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

If these people want more money why don't they quit and get better paying jobs?

After being laid off due to Covid, many waitstaff have done exactly that. Restaurant owners are now whining that they can't get people to work for the shit wages / conditions they offer.

Which means we have to listen to conservatives claiming that "They're all liberals and they just don't want to work" or "The government's paying them too much money" and my personal favourite..."They're more worried about their personal pronouns than they are in looking for a job." 

All of which I have heard in the last week.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Not dealing with the US style we refuse to pay our staff so you should instead bullshit. 

Very rarely eat at restaurants, content enough with 10% ish providing service is reasonable.

Barbers,  fucking weird profession to tip in. you've been paid to provide a service as an individual, why should you be paid for not fucking it up? Maybe different for those that want an personal service but a back and sides is so fucking basic, how can you claim you made an extra effort to not f**k it up this one time?

Delivery drivers/bar staff, this is basically bribery isn't?  Simple job, just do it right. Tips are just a way to prioritise yourself over other customers. 

Taxi drivers can get fucked.  Congratulations on not killing me in the last 10 minutes. Naively rounded up as a youngster. £7.50 or £8 became a tenner, continued to give them above the fare for years, the they didn't make any effort when the fare became £10.10 or £10.20 to just ask for a tenner, f**k you, if you want to act the greedy fuckers you'll get the absolute minimum. 

Those who genuinely go above and beyond regardless of profession, I'll give generously, only happened a handful of times in my life tho.

Couple of points here.... Certainly in America and some other holidays too.... Mexico springs to mind, if you don't give them a decent tip from the get go in a bar, you simply wont be served, so aye, it basically is paying for priority. 

Also, I have to admit iv had quite a lot of occasion where a taxi driver has rounded down for me. They're not all arseholes. 

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

You gave a £2 tip years many ago and it’s scarred you for life?

I always carry cash and never tip by card.

If there’s a snidey service charge on the bottom of the bill I won’t tip. I have on one occasion asked for the service charge to be removed and tipped the staff the cash sum instead. 

Alway tip the barber/taxi driver/food delivery guy by rounding to the nearest £5er.

On a slightly related but O/T point from above, never order your takeaway food from your local independent through Just Eat or whatever - 20% commission goes just by the restaurant being on their app. Phone them instead and you’ll get much better service imo. 

Pre-pandemic I had some insanely cheap long distance Ubers and have similarly found Uber take 25% of the drivers gross. There’s a basic decency about paying a guy property for doing his (however routine) job, they’ve had some serious tips from me. 

And finishing up as Billy Biggest Potatoes, it was MiL’s 80th birthday the other week. She’s never asked for a bean from us in years but out the blue decided she wanted to go to Gleneagles. The standard of service you get there is exceptional. Made even more mindblowing by the fact that near everyone customer facing is on minimum wage. When spending the obscene amount of money it takes for a couple of days there, it be the mark of a right c**t (and I’d have been embarrassed) NOT to have factored in the extra wad of £5ers required to tip the concierge, tea waitresses and everyone else who provides the genuinely 5* service. 

And, yes, the MiL had a great time; it was worth every penny. 

7 hours ago, eez-eh said:

We eat out a fair bit - the majority of restaurants now have card tips going straight in to the pot and are distributed among the staff per the tronc agreement (even in the smallest local ones we frequent most often).

Why? Since lockdown forced many businesses to go "card only", they altered their model - and for the better, imv.

I always ask if they get it, and actually cant remember the last time a waiter/waitress said "no, we dont get card tips" - there is a small turkish place near us where they dont take gratuities on the card, so its a different situation, we always take cash for them.

As for the cash comment, many people dont get paid in cash, there is little need for it so no real need to carry it.

Even though I run my own small business working in peoples homes, it is vanishingly rare for me to be paid using cash these days (I have a machine or send invoices to customers). Someone paid me £120 yesterday, thats the first cash I have been paid this calendar year..........I certainly wouldnt be heading to the cashline to get money and I am definitely not "snobby".

10 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Stories going about that staff in New York now looking for 25% and in some cases threatening to call Police if you do not stump up.

Was in Boston a few years ago and a snack came to $18, handed the waitress $50 note and she seriously asked if I wanted change. She got left $2 which was more than the requested 10% for her cheek.

On cruises, even although the tips are included, I generally tip bar staff/ waiters, the waiter in the Dining Room and the Cabin Staff

10 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

In a similar fashion, I must spend a small fortune emptying my pockets of change when there's a whip round for the driver on the bus to an away game but in fairness driving a bus full of pissed up reprobates they deserve an extra few quid in their pocket 

I despise this. Our bus convenor used to send the disabled lad up the bus with the bag of coins too to try and guilt you into giving the driver a tip. It's not like driving private hire buses is a minimum wage job either. They can fucking sing for it.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't understand how not carrying cash is 'snobby', let alone 'very snobby'. You'll need to explain that one please. 

The preference for not carrying cash isn’t snobby itself. I used card for the vast majority of purchases as well and I’ll occasionally find myself short of cash or change when I’m looking to tip someone.

It’s the way some go on about the concept of carrying cash these days as if it’s ghastly or beneath them that I find weird. A bit like this:

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was out in one of Dundee's finest brasseries on Saturday and they didn't have a facility to take a tip by card so they got f**k all. It's 2022 and I'm not carrying chunks of metal, notes or in bru bottles around to exchange for goods and services.

A completely cashless society isn’t a good thing for the poorest people in it.