A guy who was in my class is currently carrying out a life sentence for murdering his own mum.

After throttling her to death, he callously travelled to Edinburgh where he treated himself to a meal and cocktails using her credit card.  Despite the Scottish media covering the story fairly comprehensively at the time, the  tipping details of that post-homocidal dinner and bar trip have yet to be discussed.

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My cousin was murdered in 2003 by her boyfriend.

I won't go into the details but he was sentenced to life in 2005 and was released a few years ago. Had she lived, she would be 40 now. 

That's fucking harrowing. 

On 28/03/2022 at 15:07, Granny Danger said:

I believe in sharing the wealth unless the service is very poor or someone is a c**t.

Went for a drink yesterday and didn’t tip for the first time in ages.  It was table service, the place was virtually empty but still had to go up to the bar to pay as the waitress was more interested in chatting to her mate behind the bar than looking around to see if anyone needed anything.

ETA I don’t know any killers or killees.

Edited by Granny Danger

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

That's fucking harrowing. 

Even now it has damaged my dad's side of the family. 

I should say I was not close to my cousin. She grew up outside of Scotland. I only met her a handful of times, really. 

When it happened, my dad and uncle went straight away. My dad identified the body so that my auntie (her mum) didn't have to. He hinted afterwards that what had happened was quite gruesome but didn't give any details. And I was happy with that - I really, really didn't want to know everything that he did to her. 

About 5 years later though, my auntie and other cousin were on the front page of one of those women's magazines (Take a Break or something like that). The headline across the front page was basically one of the gruesome details. My auntie had sold her story to the magazine. 

Dad was furious. To him, it was dragging his niece through the press for no reason. It was like she wasn't getting to rest in peace. All that stuff he had kept private was now in every shop. And if my auntie wanted money he would have helped. He stopped speaking to her after that, though she has been in touch with me and my sister by email. 

• 2 months later...

Just back from the US of A and sick of hearing about gratuities. Most places are now expecting a minimum of 20%.

Had a couple of drinks in a bar and when bill came service charge had been added but barman still looking for a tip. Change out of a $100 bill was $4 but insisted on getting it back.

Went to cruise terminal and porter was expecting to be tipped for lifting 2 cases from boot of car and placing them in a cage less than 6 feet away. Told to whistle.

Although gratuities were included we tipped several crew members for exceptional service.

Went on an airboat and heard repeatedly that they did not get paid and relied on tips. If you are not getting paid then why are you doing the job? In fairness the bloke was quite decent and we went one of the few who actually gave him a tip.

Still at the same place we saw an alligator show and blow me if this bloke is also doing it for nothing and looking for tips.

To round things off the on bus which took us to the airboat and then to the airport the guide made repeated requests for tips to be given to her and the driver if we thought that they had done a decent job. I must have been mistaken but I thought they were employed to provide a decent, acceptable service.  Go out of your way and I will certainly tip you but for merely doing your job?

Incidentally met an American travel agent who told me that TIPS was an acronym for - To Ensure Perfect Service

5 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Incidentally met an American travel agent who told me that TIPS was an acronym for - To Ensure Perfect Service

Common fallacy, but maybe why some feel so entitled to a tip. Amusingly, tipping was basically introduced to the U.S. in the 1860’s by those who wished to imitate European aristocracy. Now it has become an excuse to underpay staff, and even that became bulls**t in the 80’s when the IRS began taxing “estimated” tip income.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Common fallacy, but maybe why some feel so entitled to a tip. Amusingly, tipping was basically introduced to the U.S. in the 1860’s by those who wished to imitate European aristocracy. Now it has become an excuse to underpay staff, and even that became bulls**t in the 80’s when the IRS began taxing “estimated” tip income.

I remember having a discussion with a barmaid in Boston over this. I said to her why don't the bars just charge an extra $1 for a beer, the bar in turn then pay their staff more and save all the awkwardness around tip expectation? She didn't see what the problem was with it. Fair to say neither of us could really understand the others point of view.

6 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

I remember having a discussion with a barmaid in Boston over this. I said to her why don't the bars just charge an extra $1 for a beer, the bar in turn then pay their staff more and save all the awkwardness around tip expectation? She didn't see what the problem was with it. Fair to say neither of us could really understand the others point of view.

I take it she didn't look like Bella Emberg? It'll suit some more than others.

44 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

There's a big difference between tourist bars and the local equivalent of old mens' pubs. In an ordinary bar you'll just occasionally hand over an extra couple of dollars and say have one for yourself, same as here. I watched the barman in a very busy seaside bar getting 20% on turnover and making a packet, possibly more than the owner. 

Edited by welshbairn

Some students in places like New York have realised they get paid $100k plus as barmen and no longer bother with their major.

It anachronistic, patronising and leads to inefficient allocation of resources.

I much prefer the Japanese model of strictly no tips, to the bizarre American model.

I'm with Mr Pink from Reservoir dogs.

9 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

Some restaurants around ‘Murica tried the no tipping and paying the employees well…it failed, as people complained the price of the food was too high. The same morons that said a $45 steak and a $38 salmon (total $83) was too expensive would happily pay $38 and $32 instead, and then tip 20%, for a total of $84. When asked directly about it, they said that they liked the option to tip more or less for service…and then admitted they always tipped 20% or more.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Some restaurants around ‘Murica tried the no tipping and paying the employees well…it failed, as people complained the price of the food was too high. The same morons that said a $45 steak and a $38 salmon (total $83) was too expensive would happily pay $38 and $32 instead, and then tip 20%, for a total of $84. When asked directly about it, they said that they liked the option to tip more or less for service…and then admitted they always tipped 20% or more.

It’s the same way as they’d rather make charity donations than pay tax, they get an ego boost because it’s them who’s deeming to allocate that money. It shouldn’t be pandered to IMO; the place is egomaniac enough as it is.